Trading Swisher

Kenny Hates Prospects

One of Dye/Konerko/Swisher/Thome is going to have to go if we want a CF, and Swisher might be the easiest player of the group to trade considering his age, his contract length and affordability, and the fact that he's the only one of the four without some sort of trade protection. Thome has a full NTC, Paulie has the right to bock any trade as he is a 10-5 player, and Dye I believe has at least a partial NTC.

Looking around baseball, these are the teams I can think of that could be interested in Swisher for either 1B or the outfield. Which of these teams are the best fits for a possible Swisher deal? Anyone we should target?

Angels - if Tex leaves

Seattle - holes all over the place

Texas - Davis could move to 3rd, will probably have an OF opening

Rays - will have an OF opening

Orioles - might want to upgrade and get younger at 1B over Millar

Yankees - no real 1B, will have OF opening

Blue Jays - upgrade over Overbay?

Giants - tons of holes

Rockies - could have another OF hole if Holliday is traded, already have hole in CF, Fowler is close

Padres - cutting payroll but Swish would be affordable

Cubs - sounds odd, but Swish could add depth in CF and RF

Brewers - will need a 1B if they trade Prince

Pirates - might trade Adam LaRoche

Phillies - Burrell could walk

Mets - OF depth and platoon option for Delgado if he falls off again

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only that, but out of those 4,

Dye/Thome/Konerko ALL in their mid to upper 30's. Swish is what? 27? 28? Why on EARTH would you trade him over unloading one of those other base cloggers? (i'm specifically looking at you Jim)

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Not usually smart to try and trade a player at his lowest value ever ever.

Three of the four guys mentioned above are at their lowest values ever. Dye could go, but he'd have to agree to a trade, and we'd be trading our only reliable run producer. Even Quentin is a relative uncertainty given his injury history.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
Not only that, but out of those 4,

Dye/Thome/Konerko ALL in their mid to upper 30's. Swish is what? 27? 28? Why on EARTH would you trade him over unloading one of those other base cloggers? (i'm specifically looking at you Jim)

Because one of these guys have to be traded and Swisher is the only one who can't block a trade. It's not really that complicated. Thome would be the guy I'd want to dump too, but he'll only go to the Indians or Cubs. Cubs don't need him and we're not dealing with the Indians, so Thome is here no matter what. Paulie might go to the West Coast, but only if he feels like it. He doesn't have to go anywhere.

I probably have b****ed and moaned about Swisher's play more than anyone on this site. I could give a s*** about anyone who hits for that type of average (unless he hit about 100 HR's). The problem is his value is at an all time low and he is a pretty versatile player who is better than his current performance and has a favorable contract. Sure the Sox could trade him but I don't know if they get anything of value for him and if thats the case is it really worth dealing him?

I believe the Sox need to get themselves one or two high average hitters (hopefully high OBP as well, but the key is to get some high average guys with speed). This will give the team some guys who can just get the big hit as opposed to the big homer in those games where you can't rely on the homer and just need to dig in a run in a key situation.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
Because one of these guys have to be traded and Swisher is the only one who can't block a trade. It's not really that complicated. Thome would be the guy I'd want to dump too, but he'll only go to the Indians or Cubs. Cubs don't need him and we're not dealing with the Indians, so Thome is here no matter what. Paulie might go to the West Coast, but only if he feels like it. He doesn't have to go anywhere.

But why trade Swish? He's coming off the first bad year of his career. A year where statistically he was ludicrously unlucky during the first half, and struggled in the second half due to a lack of consistent playing time. like him or not Swisher was the only one on the team for a while who was willing to take a couple pitches, and work a count, and given his track record every expectation of him is to resume his career norms which are roughly a 25 hr, 80+Rbis, a 250 average, and a .353 OBP. If Swisher comes out next year playing like the guy that he's been his entire life barring one bad year. Then he's exactly the kind of guy the sox need, not the guy they need to trade. I find that defense particularly, in the OF is sometimes drastically overvalued. Swisher may not be Gold Glove quality, but his defense isn't so bad to necessitate his expulsion from the team, and the position.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
Not usually smart to try and trade a player at his lowest value ever ever.

I think Pauly will be traded. Although he didn't have the greatest season, he brought his value back up when he finished strong and had a solid series vs Tampa. I like Swish as our everyday 1b. Swisher cant get much worse offensively. Hitting at the 8th spot should do him well next year. The only 2 places PK will go is LA or AZ. I really dont think AZ has much to offer and they are not trading one of there young starters. We need a 3b or 2b. I think if we can get Figgins from the Angels in some sort of package, we have our 3b. Then all we would have to do is sign Hudson or trade for Roberts and we have our 1-2 punch!

I think this trade can happen for 2 reasons.

1. Texiera is likely sign a HUGE deal with New York or San Fran

2. Pauly loves Scocia and vice versa

3. KW loves Figgins, so does Ozzie. And when Kenny loves a player, he usually ends up getting them eventualy. (Thome, Griffey, Alomars, Everett- twice etc....)

Hmm I wonder if KW can somehow get really tricky and involve Vazquez also. Like some sort of monster deal for Figgins, E. Santana, Mathews.

Konerko, Vazquez, Fields for Figgins, Santana, Mathews. That would help both teams quite a bit. LA unloads Mathews contract, they get their 1b and a big time strike out pitcher. We fill up our needs, another young SP, an every day true CF, and a 3b who can hit lead off. Okay im rambling on and on but this makes sense to me.

Chone Figgins 3b

Orlando Hudson 2b

Carlos Quentin LF

Jermain Dye RF

Jim Thome DH

Alexie Ramirez SS

AJ Pierzynski C

Nick Swisher 1b

Gary Mathews CF

Now thats a STRONG lineup.

Rotation: Buerhle, Santana, Danks, Floyd, Richard/Contreras (Maybe even go after an older veteran like Lowe or even give Garcia another shot, he looked impressive vs us last monday)

Right now if I were a GM of another team, I'd freaking drool at the chance to buy Paulie low. The guy is an above average first baseman with a great contract. He showed that when healthy he is as productive as ever and he's been a very good post-season player (this post-season included). The guy was huge for the Sox down the stretch this year and I don't think I'd trade him without getting very good value.

Thome would be a guy I'd consider moving, but he's just too cheap so really the only spots you can upgrade are 2B/3B/CF and the Sox may go in-house at one of those spots and need to move Swish to free up another one of those spots.

In the first contract Dye signed with the White Sox, he had a limited NTC 4 teams - but I haven't seen anything about that agreement in his new one. Even if so, there are 25 teams he can be traded to. His deal actually expires after next season, and he's coming off of a great season. There's going to be little interest in resigning him just due to age, the possibility of injury, and the streakiness of his game. I love Dye to death and he's easily been one of my favorite Sox players since he's been here, but it makes a ton of sense to deal him.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)

Dye can only block a trade to 6 teams.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Right now if I were a GM of another team, I'd freaking drool at the chance to buy Paulie low. The guy is an above average first baseman with a great contract. He showed that when healthy he is as productive as ever and he's been a very good post-season player (this post-season included). The guy was huge for the Sox down the stretch this year and I don't think I'd trade him without getting very good value.

Thome would be a guy I'd consider moving, but he's just too cheap so really the only spots you can upgrade are 2B/3B/CF and the Sox may go in-house at one of those spots and need to move Swish to free up another one of those spots.

Most teams would be neutral (at best) about a Konerko deal...coming off this season...and due to having to pay him $20+ million for two more years, when he's 32-35. Maybe a team losing out on Texiera would have to give him some consideration, and obviously he been a "money" player in the post-season.

if you're going to get any value for Swish right now, i'd think you'd have to go to a small market team that wants a name on a cheap contract. for instance, the Royals always have to overpay FAs so maybe they'd move younger players (that arent projected future stars) for Swisher... a player who we may not have a place for anyway.

that's at least some value. of course then you feel dumb for losing Sweeney (at the least).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)
Most teams would be neutral (at best) about a Konerko deal...coming off this season...and due to having to pay him $20+ million for two more years, when he's 32-35. Maybe a team losing out on Texiera would have to give him some consideration, and obviously he been a "money" player in the post-season.

Not to mention it seems as though the injuries are mounting. The days of Pauly playing 150+ games per year are gone, imo. I think 140 is the best case scenario.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 8, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
I think Pauly will be traded. Although he didn't have the greatest season, he brought his value back up when he finished strong and had a solid series vs Tampa. I like Swish as our everyday 1b. Swisher cant get much worse offensively. Hitting at the 8th spot should do him well next year. The only 2 places PK will go is LA or AZ. I really dont think AZ has much to offer and they are not trading one of there young starters. We need a 3b or 2b. I think if we can get Figgins from the Angels in some sort of package, we have our 3b. Then all we would have to do is sign Hudson or trade for Roberts and we have our 1-2 punch!

I think this trade can happen for 2 reasons.

1. Texiera is likely sign a HUGE deal with New York or San Fran

2. Pauly loves Scocia and vice versa

3. KW loves Figgins, so does Ozzie. And when Kenny loves a player, he usually ends up getting them eventualy. (Thome, Griffey, Alomars, Everett- twice etc....)

Hmm I wonder if KW can somehow get really tricky and involve Vazquez also. Like some sort of monster deal for Figgins, E. Santana, Mathews.

Konerko, Vazquez, Fields for Figgins, Santana, Mathews. That would help both teams quite a bit. LA unloads Mathews contract, they get their 1b and a big time strike out pitcher. We fill up our needs, another young SP, an every day true CF, and a 3b who can hit lead off. Okay im rambling on and on but this makes sense to me.

Chone Figgins 3b

Orlando Hudson 2b

Carlos Quentin LF

Jermain Dye RF

Jim Thome DH

Alexie Ramirez SS

AJ Pierzynski C

Nick Swisher 1b

Gary Mathews CF

Now thats a STRONG lineup.

Rotation: Buerhle, Santana, Danks, Floyd, Richard/Contreras (Maybe even go after an older veteran like Lowe or even give Garcia another shot, he looked impressive vs us last monday)

I think if that were to happen, the angels GM would be burned at the stake in the middle of LAA stadium.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 9, 2008 -> 12:13 AM)
You people that would rather have Swisher than Dye because "Swisher's value is low right now"

lol...

Not really, people don't want to dump Swish for a s***ty A ball pitcher after his worst year ever. Dye is old and had a good year and we may be able to get decent value from him.