Next retired number???

StatManDu

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
56 hasn't earned it yet, but 14 has to be really, really close. He's what, #3 on our all time team home run list? I can't get Baseball-reference to load lately so I can't check but he's got to be around that.

PK = 2nd all time HR list

1. Frank Thomas - 448

2. Paul Konerko - 291

3. Harold Baines - 221

RBI LIST

1. Frank Thomas - 1465

2. Luke Appling - 1165

3. Harold Baines - 981

4. Paul Konerko - 928

Stolen Base List.

1. Eddie Collins - 368

999999. Paul Konerko -- 7

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 13, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
Gotta be 35. 14 & 56 have not earned it yet, IMO.

If Konerko ended his career right now, he would be retired by the White Sox. But Frank should be next, depending on his playing career should happen fairly soon i would think,.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 07:21 AM)
I heard that Jerry Reinsdorf said that as long as Derrick Rose is in a Chicago Bulls Uniform, no player on the White Sox will wear #1.

Why?

That makes no sense.

That would be like retiring #1 because Barrack Obama wore it.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 06:21 AM)
I heard that Jerry Reinsdorf said that as long as Derrick Rose is in a Chicago Bulls Uniform, no player on the White Sox will wear #1.

That makes no sense.

I mean, Ventura wore 23 while Michael Jordan did for the Bulls. And while I think Rose has tons of potential, I feel confident in saying he won't be as good as Jordan.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 14, 2008 -> 08:12 AM)
Why?

That makes no sense.

That would be like retiring #1 because Barrack Obama wore it.

don't shoot the messenger

According to Derrick's brother, the owner of the White Sox (also the Bulls owner) has told Derrick that as long as he plays for the Bulls, no player on the White Sox roster will be allowed to wear #1.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220294265444

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 01:38 AM)
Should be Ventura and Thomas. Ventura was a face of the franchise for nearly a decade and would have been the face had he played in any other era.

Robin was good and he's also one of my all time favorites. However, I don't believe his number should be retired. Personally, I think that honor should be reserved for Hall of Famers and only those that had significant impact while with the Sox. Eg: Carlton Fisk, yes. Tom Seaver, no.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 02:38 AM)
Should be Ventura and Thomas. Ventura was a face of the franchise for nearly a decade and would have been the face had he played in any other era.

I don't think Robin gets the nod over a World Series MVP who is approaching similar careers stats with the White Sox in a fraction of the time.

35 - 14 - 56 is probably right, depending on how Konerko ends his career. If Paulie plays '09 and '10 with the Sox and then re-signs to DH a few more years, it's a shoo-in. But I'm not sure that if he's traded before '09 or mid-'09 his number goes up.

Buehrle is something of a no-brainer if he finishes out his contract on the South Side and says nice things if he leaves. He'll have something like 150 wins, etc. I think he probably re-signs after this 4-year deal and gets up to 200 wins in a Sox uniform. I see KW and Jerry being fairly loyal to Buehrle.

13 probably gets retired if there is another WS in his tenure. But given that he'll probably end poorly on the South Side (he'll get fired after some blow up and talk smack about Jerry and KW), I could see him being exiled for several years.

23 isn't going to happen. 20 won't happen either because I have this feeling that he'll either be too injured or will be too expensive for the Sox to keep.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
35 - 14 - 56 is probably right, depending on how Konerko ends his career. If Paulie plays '09 and '10 with the Sox and then re-signs to DH a few more years, it's a shoo-in. But I'm not sure that if he's traded before '09 or mid-'09 his number goes up.

Buehrle is something of a no-brainer if he finishes out his contract on the South Side and says nice things if he leaves. He'll have something like 150 wins, etc. I think he probably re-signs after this 4-year deal and gets up to 200 wins in a Sox uniform. I see KW and Jerry being fairly loyal to Buehrle.

13 probably gets retired if there is another WS in his tenure. But given that he'll probably end poorly on the South Side (he'll get fired after some blow up and talk smack about Jerry and KW), I could see him being exiled for several years.

23 isn't going to happen. 20 won't happen either because I have this feeling that he'll either be too injured or will be too expensive for the Sox to keep.

I disagree. Ozzie is one of the best things to happen to this franchise. White Sox baseball was as bland as it gets before he stepped in. 2005 gets his # retired, guaranteed.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
How about blank for Shoeless Joe Jackson, I only say that because Ty Cobb has a name in Detroit but no number next to it.

Obviously 35 will be retired first.

I don't think they can retire a number for jackson unless he get reinstated.