Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gophers knocked off #9 Louisville 70-64 today on a neutral court in Arizona. There were a bunch of fouls between the two teams (each had 25), but the Gophers managed to get the win. This was HUGE.

I just wish I could have watched it on TV instead of following online, but I am back in NJ right now and it was on the local FSN channel back in Minnesota. Oh well, either way huge win.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 18, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
"The Indianapolis Star first reported the story on its website Wednesday."

This quote suggests it was news to the Indianapolis Star. The posted link suggests it was news to CBS Sportsline. I certainly had never heard any talk of this before.

Like the ads used to say for re-runs of Must See TV: "If you haven't seen it, its new to you." Boring or irrelevant as it might be, it was "new" to me, so I thought I'd share.

Sorry if I struck a nerve.

You didn't strike a nerve, but most IU fans including myself have pretty much burned last season from their minds planning to never look back. It was a wasted season and one no one that follows IU wants to think about. The "news" you brought out shouldn't ahve surprised anyone is my point. It has become obvious that last year's team was a highly dysfunctional situation and was a ticking time bomb before any of the mess became public. When Coach Crean got to IU, aside from the walk-ons, there were ZERO players that were academically eligible and some were so far gone that a strong finish to the semester could not help.

The bottom line is, for me, most IU fans and I think most avid college basketball fans, that article evoked a collective yawn. Just not big news if you had followed the situation at all.

Rex, I thought you were a Michigan fan?

Big Ten beating ass today, which was nice to see. Purdue looked extremely dominant.

The Buckeyes lost their most experienced player and captain for 6-12 weeks in Lighty, but I honestly believe that the team will be better giving those minutes to Bufford who was Mr Ohio in Bball last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
Rex, I thought you were a Michigan fan?

Big Ten beating ass today, which was nice to see. Purdue looked extremely dominant.

The Buckeyes lost their most experienced player and captain for 6-12 weeks in Lighty, but I honestly believe that the team will be better giving those minutes to Bufford who was Mr Ohio in Bball last year.

Michigan football, Indiana basketball....... try and keep up :wink:

The Gophers should be ranked when the new rankings come out, which I never thought I'd see after my freshman year and the 9-win disaster season. I'm really, really excited for this team, since we are so young and have so much young talent coming to the program next year too. I realize I'm the only one here that cares about the Gophers, but damnit, I'm still going to mention them even if I'm only talking to myself :P

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
No one else cares.

they will care soon enough...this team is too good not to get noticed a little more. UIC went to play a solid Vanderbilt team and beat them. UIC went to georgia tech and beat them. UIC went to Redbird Arena to play the Illinois State Redbirds...and lost--even when the Redbirds couldn't shoot. 11-0 and no signs of stopping.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 20, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
No one else cares.

I actually made the drive down to see the game last night. Was a great game to watch. The officiating was kinda rough at several points in the game, but i think it went both ways. UIC was just a 2 man show though. Mayo and the tall white guy were their offense the whole night. There was a pretty big crowd, but that damn town needs to start supporting that school. It is rediculas how small the crowds are some times. I can remember back in the day, when i was a student, there would only be around one or two thousand a game. For two cities with about 120,000 in population, they do not draw at all.

It was nice to get some fried cheese balls from the pub II. Damn i miss the pub II.

Oh yeah, they had the quick change artists there for half time. It was pretty crazy.

In response to you question though, no one will care about this team until they win an NCAA game, or beat U of I. My real hope is that they get matched up against Davidson in the bracketbuster game so we can get some national TV. That would get some people to notice.

Edited by Pale Hose Jon

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 06:29 PM)
they will care soon enough...this team is too good not to get noticed a little more. UIC went to play a solid Vanderbilt team and beat them. UIC went to georgia tech and beat them. UIC went to Redbird Arena to play the Illinois State Redbirds...and lost--even when the Redbirds couldn't shoot. 11-0 and no signs of stopping.

That Vanderbilt team is terrible, but it was still an impressive win for UIC.

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)

You guys are a good team, but you still probably won't get a lot of notice. The Valley is down this year, and combine that with your weak OOC schedule, and attention isn't coming your way all that much unless you stay undefeated for a while. You shouldn't care about that though, you have a good team and media attention isn't what matters, winning games is and you guys are doing that at a great clip right now. I was surprised and impressed you beat UIC, it appears whoever guarded Mayo did a great job based on his numbers.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
You guys are a good team, but you still probably won't get a lot of notice. The Valley is down this year, and combine that with your weak OOC schedule, and attention isn't coming your way all that much unless you stay undefeated for a while. You shouldn't care about that though, you have a good team and media attention isn't what matters, winning games is and you guys are doing that at a great clip right now. I was surprised and impressed you beat UIC, it appears whoever guarded Mayo did a great job based on his numbers.

Unfortunately media attention is what matters...thats why mid-majors like southern illinois and bradley can get decent matchups with BCS teams. The BCS teams arent overly worried about losing because of the overall view of that team (as reinforced by the media) isn't a bad one--even if the that particular mid-major is having an off year (SIU...). Even though ISU has a strong team this year, a loss by a BCS team to ISU would be seen as a bad loss to most people--regardless of how good ISU actually is . Once this team can get a little coverage, the tide will start to turn. ISU has had a cupcake OOC schedule, there is no denying it...but to get through the entirety of the non-con without a loss is still a great accomplishment. They didn't just simply win those games though...some were absoulte demolishings, and the ones that werent still showcased what is possibly the most athletic/exciting offense in the MVC--featuring 2 POY candidates. One thing I would like too see is some sort of in-state matchup rotation, similar to what is done in iowa. Drake (MVC), Iowa, Iowa State, and Northern Iowa (MVC) all play each other each year. It gives the MVC teams some BCS matchups and its great local matchups for the fans (FWIW Drake beat both Iowa State and Iowa this year). Imagine an early season "Land of Lincoln" showdown--SIU, NIU, ISU, UofI, Depaul, Northwestern, EIU, WIU. Could be hosted at Redbird Arena and Assembly Hall (keeping things central) or do the whole thing in chicago. just a thought...

I can't wait for the new rankings to come out.

Also, the fact that Travis Busch is featured so prominently here is frightening. He's not very good, although he did do a pretty good job against Louisville.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Dec 21, 2008 -> 07:59 PM)
Unfortunately media attention is what matters...thats why mid-majors like southern illinois and bradley can get decent matchups with BCS teams. The BCS teams arent overly worried about losing because of the overall view of that team (as reinforced by the media) isn't a bad one--even if the that particular mid-major is having an off year (SIU...). Even though ISU has a strong team this year, a loss by a BCS team to ISU would be seen as a bad loss to most people--regardless of how good ISU actually is . Once this team can get a little coverage, the tide will start to turn. ISU has had a cupcake OOC schedule, there is no denying it...but to get through the entirety of the non-con without a loss is still a great accomplishment. They didn't just simply win those games though...some were absoulte demolishings, and the ones that werent still showcased what is possibly the most athletic/exciting offense in the MVC--featuring 2 POY candidates. One thing I would like too see is some sort of in-state matchup rotation, similar to what is done in iowa. Drake (MVC), Iowa, Iowa State, and Northern Iowa (MVC) all play each other each year. It gives the MVC teams some BCS matchups and its great local matchups for the fans (FWIW Drake beat both Iowa State and Iowa this year). Imagine an early season "Land of Lincoln" showdown--SIU, NIU, ISU, UofI, Depaul, Northwestern, EIU, WIU. Could be hosted at Redbird Arena and Assembly Hall (keeping things central) or do the whole thing in chicago. just a thought...

Ehh media attention only matters if you are going for an at large. Although ISU did go undefeated in OOC, they played a very weak schedule, and combine that with a down Valley, and an at large would be difficult even if the Redbirds were getting a lot of attention. Although obviously if ISU goes 27-3 this season or something, they have to get a strong look in March even if they don't win Arch Madness.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
Ehh media attention only matters if you are going for an at large. Although ISU did go undefeated in OOC, they played a very weak schedule, and combine that with a down Valley, and an at large would be difficult even if the Redbirds were getting a lot of attention. Although obviously if ISU goes 27-3 this season or something, they have to get a strong look in March even if they don't win Arch Madness.

certainly an at-large will be tougher to come by this year, but the media attention is still important for years ahead. more hype this year will lead to more hype the next. as long as the team continues its success next year (which it should--osiris is back and a great recruiting class) then the attention will continue to snowball which will continue to add to ISU's reputation