Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
The Big Ten is a really good conference this year.

It's not outstanding at the top, but it has the best depth in the country (by a mile) with the exception of the Big East, and the only reason they have the best depth is obviously because they have the extra 5 teams. I am not sure if I should be underwhemeled with Ohio State's effort tonight or impressed with Illinois', but it was a solid win for the orange and blue. An opportunity to take care of buisness and impress on national television as a newly ranked team in both polls, and they do what good teams should do at home, even against a pretty solid Ohio State team. The bad draft class could really hurt Ohio State, as a guy like Mullens (and maybe Turner) could go pro after this year, where in the case of many draft classes they would probably be more inclined to stay.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 08:00 PM)
It's not outstanding at the top, but it has the best depth in the country (by a mile) with the exception of the Big East, and the only reason they have the best depth is obviously because they have the extra 5 teams. I am not sure if I should be underwhemeled with Ohio State's effort tonight or impressed with Illinois', but it was a solid win for the orange and blue. An opportunity to take care of buisness and impress on national television as a newly ranked team in both polls, and they do what good teams should do at home, even against a pretty solid Ohio State team. The bad draft class could really hurt Ohio State, as a guy like Mullens (and maybe Turner) could go pro after this year, where in the case of many draft classes they would probably be more inclined to stay.

I'd say a little of both. OSU could have easily lulled Ill to sleep, but they wouldnt let it happen and punched OSU in the mouth. I think the teams are pretty evenly matched and will play twice again so I think we will see better games. Im not sure why the guys were so sluggish tonight.

And if Turner and Mullens go pro its the same old s*** again for OSU, rebuilding again, then rebuilding again. Its f***in insanity. Think if Cook and Conley and Koufos didnt go pro, jesus. That was the plan, and obviously it didnt work out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
B.J. Mullens is going to go pro, no matter how he plays this year. Draftexpress mentioned that his family needs the money a few weeks back.

Plus at 7 ft 250 or whatever he is listed at with great athleticism he will be a lottery pick just based on potential.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
Ah it wont last, they have alot of difficult road games coming up, so there will be some CLEAR losses. They are very consistent though, they could have easily played down to OSU's level of sluggishness in this game and instead they took it too them and ended the game early. The Big Ten is only going to get better and they are going to surprise alot of teams in the tourney.

Clear enough to put in all caps? And can you give some information on why there's any reason to think it won't last?

QUOTE (gbuk @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Clear enough to put in all caps? And can you give some information on why there's any reason to think it won't last?

I don't think Illinois has any clear losses left. They are playing fantastic ball at home, and they already played (and almost beat) the best team in the league on the road. They will lose a couple/few more games because they have some tough road games left and still don't have the type of offense that an outstanding or elite team has, plus road games are 5 on 8 affairs in the Big Ten, but I don't see any clear losses for them left either.

Also, I am AMAZED at how bad DePaul is (that is clear enough to put in caps). Jerry Wainwright is a horrid coach.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 04:13 AM)
Also, I am AMAZED at how bad DePaul is. Jerry Wainwright is a horrid coach.

Agreed...I talked to their top booster the other day, and he doesn't even know if JW will be fired. I recommended Chris Collins to him, and I told him that you better get a big time recruiter in there as Jerrance Howard is cleaning up in Chicago. Sadly, the booster didn't know who Howard was.

Solid win. This team is just so much more enjoyable to watch this yearwithout 2 selfish players dragging them down. They don't have the most talent in the world, but they seem to be playing as a true team this year...without that they could easily be a s***fest again. This team is better than the sum of its parts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 01:01 AM)
Hows the attendance been for Illinois games? It doesnt look like there is anyone there tonight.

It was full save for very few empties up top. The sideline students had to sit for part of the game for some reason and I think that limited how many they could put there.

I don't post much here anymore, but figured this could be of some interest to the B10 fans... from the Lafayette JC

Barring significant improvement, sophomore forward Robbie Hummel's back spasm issue probably will be ongoing throughout the remainder of the 2008-09 season.

The Preseason Big Ten Player of the Year selection did not practice Friday or Saturday after landing on his back diving for a loose ball in Thursday night's 63-61 victory at Northwestern.

Hummel, averaging 13.8 points and 7.9 rebounds, started Sunday and tweaked his back early in the first half when he ran into an illegal screen. He sat for two minutes, then returned to action.

In 18 minutes against Iowa, Hummel had nine points, eight rebounds and two assists.

Hummel did not practice Monday, and according to coach Matt Painter, probably won't practice today.

The 6-foot-8 forward may practice lightly on Wednesday and is expected to start Thursday night at No. 21 Minnesota.

"We're trying our best to give him rest and see how he feels," Painter said. "It hasn't felt real good. Any time you can get a break, it's great."

With him and Kramer :lolhitting

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
Solid win. This team is just so much more enjoyable to watch this yearwithout 2 selfish players dragging them down. They don't have the most talent in the world, but they seem to be playing as a true team this year...without that they could easily be a s***fest again. This team is better than the sum of its parts.

Indeed. I see the defense was pretty stout last night (20 turnovers, 41% shooting for OSU). I didn't get to see the game. Looks like the Illini took off when Weber pulled Tisdale, who didn't play well in the first half, and inserted Keller. Keller and Legion have made this team so much better.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:11 PM)
It was full save for very few empties up top. The sideline students had to sit for part of the game for some reason and I think that limited how many they could put there.

Sideline students have to sit for most of the game or the people in section A can't see over them. So they get yelled at to sit down by security.

Rock was referring to the A section on TV side, with a decent amount of empty gray seats. There's always no shows in that particular section and those people never get up, make noise, or even wear orange. And it looks awful on TV. It's been an ongoing battle for years.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
Sideline students have to sit for most of the game or the people in section A can't see over them. So they get yelled at to sit down by security.

Rock was referring to the A section on TV side, with a decent amount of empty gray seats. There's always no shows in that particular section and those people never get up, make noise, or even wear orange. And it looks awful on TV. It's been an ongoing battle for years.

Did they always make the students sit down or is that a new thing? For some reason I always thought th student section stretched into the area that the camera looked at.

QUOTE (Purdue129 @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
I don't post much here anymore, but figured this could be of some interest to the B10 fans... from the Lafayette JC

With him and Kramer :lolhitting

Kramer does very little on the offensive side of the court at any time, but especially down the stretch they don't depend on him. Hummel depends on rebounds or others penetrating to create for him, so I thnik it all depends on the play of E'twaun down the stretch. He has struggled lately, and down the stretch of close games or whenever they are bogged down by a tight "dee" it depends on him to dribble drive or create. They are really missing a point guard who can penetrate and Lew Jack is not enough of a threat when he gets into the lane to be that drive and dish guy.

QUOTE (DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 21, 2009 -> 07:46 PM)
Now watch them lose to IU or something.

Nobody in the Big 10 is THAT bad (at least not this year, Crean will get the ship righted there pretty fast). But yeah, who had Northwestern at Michigan State AND Virginia Tech at Wake Forest tonight? Wow.

Edited by whitesoxfan101