Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big comeback win tonight against Maryland for Miami. Down by 17 points with 12 minutes to play, team fought back for a 62-60 win.

Jack McClinton continues to be the heart and soul of this team. Without him, we'd be a NIT team at best. He's going to make some European team very happy next year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 14, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
Love the Creighton fans booing the refs during the game, even though they were the reason the game went to OT and kept them in the game.

tough loss, the kids really hung tough. I really think they are turning the corner

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:13 AM)
tough loss, the kids really hung tough. I really think they are turning the corner

Definitely. To have beaten Creighton in Omaha would of been a huge mental boost. Just gotta handle pressure and take care of the ball down the stretch.

They showed some highlights on SportsCenter. Did Dillard even touch the kid at the end of regulation? Looked like he just put his hand up.

Charge on Hare was a total flop as well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
Definitely. To have beaten Creighton in Omaha would of been a huge mental boost. Just gotta handle pressure and take care of the ball down the stretch.

They showed some highlights on SportsCenter. Did Dillard even touch the kid at the end of regulation? Looked like he just put his hand up.

I listened to the game online last night, I dont know what happened. Mike Reis didnt sound too happy though

I think the Salukis are going to crush Creighton at home after this though

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
I listened to the game online last night, I dont know what happened. Mike Reis didnt sound too happy though

I think the Salukis are going to crush Creighton at home after this though

Same here. Paid the money to listen online.

Guard Stinnett!

Seth Davis's early winners/losers for RPI. Sorry about the KU description, got it off Phog.net

Needless to say, ISU better win the MVC

Winners (non-con SOS)

Butler (3)

Utah (17)

Oregon (27)

Wisconsin (29)

West Virginia (41)

Washington (57)

Florida State (84)

Kansas (59): The Jayhawks have four wins over teams ranked in the top 50 of the RPI, and all of those have a chance to hold up: Washington, Temple, Tennessee and Siena. You also have to give them credit for playing true road games at Arizona and Michigan State, even though they lost both. Their only clunker was a one-point loss to UMass in Kansas City. The bottom line is, this is a tournament team, but should they stumble in the Big 12, the Jayhawks have bought themselves some house money.

Losers (non-con SOS)

LSU (326)

Illinois State (320)

NC State (279)

Stanford (278)

Texas A&M (251)

Arkansas (242)

Minnesota (233)

Alabama (231)

It was nice to see Virginia try to run a bit with Carolina and heave up quick shots. The Heels are tough to deal with when they can get their transition game going at all. Ellington still does not look comfortable with his J though and that needs to change in the halfcourt. Oh well, Clemson Saturday should be fun.

Purdue caught a huge break escaping Evanston with a win. Hummel woke up a bit down the stretch, but my "boy" E'twaun continues to struggle. If he is not able to create some shots Purdue is in a world of trouble offensivly, as nobody else on this team can really create off the dribble (LewJack,yes but he is a midget). J.J. is coming along nicely in the low post though. The Big 11 just has no scary teams just a lot of solid squads.Who knows if someone can develop into an elite level type team by March, maybe the Spartans?

Edited by JuiceCruz16

Wisconsin just basically blew their season last night. Not sure how they cant handle the press but the seniors this year are just not getting it done, and Hughes half the time seems to be playing for the other team.

I hope that they can some how make the NCAA tournament so that Bo can keep his streak going, but right now they are just to inconsistent to really figure out.

So I woke up this morning and confirmed that the Gopher/Badger game last night indeed wasn't a dream. Honestly, down 10 with four minutes to go, I thought the game was over. Last nights game was the best game I've watched since the Illinois/Arizona game in the 2005 tournament and possibly the best game I've ever seen. The defense was absolutely fantastic down the stretch and Lawrence Westbrook was absolutely insane. Say what you want about the Louisville or Ohio State wins, this was the marquee win of the season.

Oh, and we did it with the refs constantly screwing us all night, without DJ in the first half, and without Al Nolen at the end of the second half. Just an absolutely fantastic win.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
So I woke up this morning and confirmed that the Gopher/Badger game last night indeed wasn't a dream. Honestly, down 10 with four minutes to go, I thought the game was over. Last nights game was the best game I've watched since the Illinois/Arizona game in the 2005 tournament and possibly the best game I've ever seen. The defense was absolutely fantastic down the stretch and Lawrence Westbrook was absolutely insane. Say what you want about the Louisville or Ohio State wins, this was the marquee win of the season.

Oh, and we did it with the refs constantly screwing us all night, without DJ in the first half, and without Al Nolen at the end of the second half. Just an absolutely fantastic win.

Ill take the KU comeback against Memphs with like 1:47 left in the 2nd and down 9.

I hope you don't commit suicide when Minny gets knocked out before the sweet 16 in the tourney.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)

He blocked it and it was exactly that though, a clean block. That was a brutal call as was the charge on Hare. Still, you can't blow two leads like that but those are the kinds of things I expected this year. We're finally showing signs of getting better and a lot better. Took a long ass time but we're getting there.

As for guarding P'Allen, he was unguardable to be completely honest. He was hitting shots with hands in his face all day, he's just a stud.

Overall, that was a building block type game, we played really well on the road against a rival, just couldn't close. I can honestly say, this is the first time all year that I've started to gain some confidence in this squad.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 12:02 PM)
Ill take the KU comeback against Memphs with like 1:47 left in the 2nd and down 9.

I hope you don't commit suicide when Minny gets knocked out before the sweet 16 in the tourney.

They aren't a sweet 16 team, so no, I won't commit suicide when that happens. This year wasn't supposed to be our year, it's next year's team that the rest of the Big 10 should watch out for.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
You just opened Pandora's Box with the Illini fans.

Bring 'em on. The fact that we're starting two freshman bigs right now and lose no one of consequence (I mean really, Abu and Big Jon? Neither should be playing at all right now so losing them actually helps our team). That doesn't even mention that we're getting Rodney White and Royce Williams, who are two very highly touted prospects. Add in Trevor Mbakwe and you have a really talented, young team that will only get better. The Gophers are going to be around for awhile, and I can't wait to see it.

Of course Minnesota is going to be good for a while, they have a fantastic coach and that's really all that matters in college basketball if you want to be good. As I've said in this years thread, the Big 10 has a very bright future in terms of basketball because it's an outstanding conference in terms of it's coaches.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
Of course Minnesota is going to be good for a while, they have a fantastic coach and that's really all that matters in college basketball if you want to be good. As I've said in this years thread, the Big 10 has a very bright future in terms of basketball because it's an outstanding conference in terms of it's coaches.

Agree with all of this.

Looking forward to the Illini/MSU game later today. Big opportunity for the Illini to make a strong statement to the rest of the conference.