Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
Duke won today, and I was shocked.

But god damn, even as a fan, they get every call at home.

But hey, I'll take it. I'm not about to say we got every call because there were times when I thought it was a foul on them but Duke didn't get the call. Georgetown is a good team.

Only team that gets more calls than UNC in the ACC is Duke.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 05:14 PM)
Well it was nice to see Legion have a good game. But this is why McCamey drives me nuts, he obviously couldn't make jump shots so attack the basket and create for yourself or someone else. He and Trent were just unbelievably bad today.

It's to the point now that I'm shocked when Trent takes a shot that's not a 3. Somebody needs to tell this bozo there's other ways to score the ball. All in all, I wasn't too pissed about the loss. We got killed on the boards (Tisdale, as he pretty much always is when matched up with good bigs, was awful). And MSU's main guys stepped up when it counted. Alex Legion, take away the turnovers, continues to impress.

Edited by Jordan4life

Hard to judge much from yesterday's Illinois/Michigan State game because both teams played absolutely horrible for most of the game. However, Michigan State is the better team and was at home, and thus it was not a surprise they pulled it out. Illinois is going to have a hard time winning big games this year for the most part, especially on the road, because there just isn't a lot of offense on the roster. For them to win big games, they'll have to impose their will defensively for 40 minutes and have a little luck, such as in the game at Purdue. The more I watch Missouri (who is actually a pretty damn good team), the more I wonder how Illinois just completely destroyed them on a neutral floor. That win looks better and better by the day.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

SIU returns the favor to Bradley and wins 68-62. It shouldnt have even been that close, but once Anthony Booker got hurt the wind came out of the Salukis sails. Hopefully he doesnt have a significant knee injury

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
SIU returns the favor to Bradley and wins 68-62. It shouldnt have even been that close, but once Anthony Booker got hurt the wind came out of the Salukis sails. Hopefully he doesnt have a significant knee injury

He really had the crowd into the game and looked awesome.

Ryan Hare is quietly consistent for SIU.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Well here is how I would rank the Big 10 now:

1. MSU

2. Purdue/ Minnesota

4. Illinois

--------------------- (Above 4 are in NCAA tournament as of now)

5. Wisconsin

6. Michigan

7. OSU

--------------------- (Above 3 are bubble)

8. Penn State

9. Iowa

10. Indiana

11. Northwestern

There is still a lot of season to be played but thats how I see it right now.

Hatin on the Buckeyes a little bit there.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)

1. MSU

2. Purdue/ Minnesota

4. Illinois

5. Wisconsin

6. Michigan

7. OSU

8. Penn State

9. Iowa

10. Indiana

11. Northwestern

I dont pay attention to Big 10 basketball much but that's a pretty deep conference. I dont think OSU should be behind Michigan and Wisconsin.

But I would put Ill St at number 1.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
Iowa State took 150 students to the ISU-Mizzou game yesterday.

Minnesota took 150 students to the Northwestern/Minnesota game today. And we lost. It was a really terrible game, but the trip was fun at least.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 17, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
I shoulda let dan and bmags and maggsmaggs know I'd be in Columbia today.

I wasn't in Columbia anyway. Just got back tonight.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
Iowa State took 150 students to the ISU-Mizzou game yesterday.

Yeah, I heard you guys were louder than our student section. We were still on break, but I don't think it would make a difference. It's Missouri basketball, everyone knows they are gonna have some embarrassing losses (at Nebraska) and it will keep them from any sort of relevant season.

Northwestern hoops upset #18 Minnesota 74-65 in an amazing 3-point shooting display by Craig Moore and some uncommon defensive rebounding. The Cats were embarassed, however, by their fans as Minnesota's student section more than doubled the home team's students.

http://www.laketheposts.com/2009/01/super-busy-weekend.html

Completely true. That was a pretty pathetic student section, Northwestern.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
I dont pay attention to Big 10 basketball much but that's a pretty deep conference. I dont think OSU should be behind Michigan and Wisconsin.

But I would put Ill St at number 1.

The Big Ten is going to be a very good conference in the upcoming years, its def worth watching.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
I love the "Cubbie reasoning". We lost, but hey, we had more fans. :P

The game itself was terrible, but when the home team gets booed coming onto the court and the home team gets cheered with the school fight song getting blasted before the game, there is something serious wrong with the home team's fans.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
The game itself was terrible, but when the home team gets booed coming onto the court and the home team gets cheered with the school fight song getting blasted before the game, there is something serious wrong with the home team's fans.

Its not that different than in football. When I go watch the Bucks in Evanston, the crowd is almost always mostly OSU fans.

1. MSU

2. Purdue/ Minnesota

4. Illinois

5. Wisconsin

6. Michigan

7. OSU

8. Penn State

9. Iowa

10. Indiana

11. Northwestern

Follow up comments:

Rock: Hatin on the Buckeyes a little bit there.

Brian: Not too mention, with wins over Duke and UCLA, Michigan would really have to nose dive not to get in the tournament.

Zen: I dont pay attention to Big 10 basketball much but that's a pretty deep conference. I dont think OSU should be behind Michigan and Wisconsin.

Rock:

I posted that before OSU beat Michigan, if I was to rerank I would put OSU above Michigan. The question of OSU versus Wisconsin is a toss up right now, but I think that if they played today that Wisconsin would win, thus I rank them slightly above OSU.

Brian:

Well Michigan has lost at home to both Wisconsin and OSU. They lost by 12 to Wisconsin and 7 to OSU. It is hard for me to rank Michigan over those 2 teams regardless of whether or not they beat Duke and UCLA. I posted that before OSU beat Michigan hence why I had them at 5. NCAA may take 5 Big 10 teams this year, Im just saying that right now the only "locks" are the top 4 in the Big 10. I believe the Big 10 will get 4 selections minimum, therefore unless you are one of those top 4 Im not considering the team in.

Zen:

Posted that before OSU beat Michigan.

OSU over Michigan at this point and close with Wisconsin. Obviously as the season progresses things are going to change, who thought Minnesota would lose to NU after coming back from 14 down to beat Wisconsin for the first time in Minnesota history in the Kohl Center.

Wisconsin has not closed out games they have had the lead in and they are suffering. If theycan fix it they will be a top 3 team in the Big 10, if they dont they will be below OSU.