Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
This is going to be the most difficult March Madness to pick in some time. I know many teams that can win it, but Ill State has to be the favorite.

Without a doubt. Their backcourt is by far the best in the nation.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
This is going to be the most difficult March Madness to pick in some time. I know many teams that can win it, but Ill State has to be the favorite.

This was awesome. You had me pulled in and than delivered an excellent punchline.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 19, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
Follow up comments:

Rock:

I posted that before OSU beat Michigan, if I was to rerank I would put OSU above Michigan. The question of OSU versus Wisconsin is a toss up right now, but I think that if they played today that Wisconsin would win, thus I rank them slightly above OSU.

Brian:

Well Michigan has lost at home to both Wisconsin and OSU. They lost by 12 to Wisconsin and 7 to OSU. It is hard for me to rank Michigan over those 2 teams regardless of whether or not they beat Duke and UCLA. I posted that before OSU beat Michigan hence why I had them at 5. NCAA may take 5 Big 10 teams this year, Im just saying that right now the only "locks" are the top 4 in the Big 10. I believe the Big 10 will get 4 selections minimum, therefore unless you are one of those top 4 Im not considering the team in.

Zen:

Posted that before OSU beat Michigan.

OSU over Michigan at this point and close with Wisconsin. Obviously as the season progresses things are going to change, who thought Minnesota would lose to NU after coming back from 14 down to beat Wisconsin for the first time in Minnesota history in the Kohl Center.

Wisconsin has not closed out games they have had the lead in and they are suffering. If theycan fix it they will be a top 3 team in the Big 10, if they dont they will be below OSU.

What would you say is Wisco's signature win? IM just curious because I dont see a win against a ranked team yet. OSU has beaten #16 Butler, #19 Notre Dame and Miami and UM who were both just ranked. As of today's they have beaten 2 top 25 teams, and yet you are ranking them below Wisco who has 5 losses already and no real signature win.

I dont think at this point they have a signature win.

They let Texas slip away, they let Marquette slip away and they let Minnesota slip away.

When I posted that, I thought UM would win at home and that would put a much clearer distinction between OSU/Wisconsin.

As it is, both OSU and Wisconsin won at UM.

Right now I would take Wisconsin over OSU.

Could I be wrong? Sure

For all I know OSU will end up second in the big 10 followed by Purdue etc. The top is really close with 5 teams having 2 losses in Big 10 play. Obviously its all going to play out, these are just my current rankings based on what Ive seen.

Its not an exact science, and I knew I shouldnt have posted right before OSU/UM. But I thought UM would take care of business at home and that would put Wisconsin clearly above those 2.

As it turned out, OSU won that game. But at that minute, its what I felt. I really dont think its that out of line.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
Surprised ESPN has not made a mention of McCamey and Turner being high school teammates, same year, too.

They may when OSU and Turner start actually making shots. At this point they've reverted to talking about the hotel.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
not sure about the attendance, but this might be the worst i've ever heard musberger and lavin. soooooooooooooooooooooooo boring. Do they have nothing to talk about?

Did they move the student section or something? I havent watched a ton of U of I games lately, but the section used to be more prominent in the broadcasts.

Pretty dominant half by Illinois. Take a few of the tip-ins away and this is an 18-20 pt lead at the half.

I envy Matta's ability to get 5 star recruit after 5 star recruit, but this team shows why you need a few 3-4 year players in the mix. They have no leadership and really no ability to create offense except off the dribble. Obviously Lighty is missed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:47 PM)
Did they move the student section or something? I havent watched a ton of U of I games lately, but the section used to be more prominent in the broadcasts.

It looked to me like everyone was there tonight, but there hasn't been much to get excited about. They got a little louder during the run at the end of the half, but it's been a grind it out jump shot game so far.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
Pretty dominant half by Illinois. Take a few of the tip-ins away and this is an 18-20 pt lead at the half.

I envy Matta's ability to get 5 star recruit after 5 star recruit, but this team shows why you need a few 3-4 year players in the mix. They have no leadership and really no ability to create offense except off the dribble. Obviously Lighty is missed.

Oh yeah, supremely talented with underdeveloped basketball skills. Thats basically the story. They are entirely made up of first and second year players since everyone keeps going into the draft. If a nucleus stays together a few years they will be a great team, but it never happens. For instance, they have 3 future NBA picks starts for them right now, 2 frosh and a soph. How many of those guys stay more than 2 years? None.

Quick edit: You sound 100 percent like posters on the OSU bball site. They actually beg for Matta to ignore the top tier recruits.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
Oh yeah, supremely talented with underdeveloped basketball skills. Thats basically the story. They are entirely made up of first and second year players since everyone keeps going into the draft. If a nucleus stays together a few years they will be a great team, but it never happens. For instance, they have 3 future NBA picks starts for them right now, 2 frosh and a soph. How many of those guys stay more than 2 years? None.

Quick edit: You sound 100 percent like posters on the OSU bball site. They actually beg for Matta to ignore the top tier recruits.

I dunno that I'd go that far, but if you're getting 2 top 10 recruits (as he is in 10...not sure about 09), you might as well try and develop a couple of 3 and 4 star guys that'll stay a couple of years. In his defense I don't think he expected Conley to jump ship so soon. A guy like that would really help. I don't see any of these guys in the NBA next year, so at least they'll develop at least one more year.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
I dunno that I'd go that far, but if you're getting 2 top 10 recruits (as he is in 10...not sure about 09), you might as well try and develop a couple of 3 and 4 star guys that'll stay a couple of years. In his defense I don't think he expected Conley to jump ship so soon. A guy like that would really help. I don't see any of these guys in the NBA next year, so at least they'll develop at least one more year.

Unfortunately Turner and Mullens have both been projected in the first round.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:23 PM)
Mullens is pretty useless, but Buford and Turner are great wings.

Agreed. Alot of it is the offense and the fact that OSU doesnt have a PG on the roster though. Matta's defense doesnt seem to fit his team and the offensive sets are very perimeter oriented.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
Unfortunately Turner and Mullens have both been projected in the first round.

Agreed. Alot of it is the offense and the fact that OSU doesnt have a PG on the roster though. Matta's defense doesnt seem to fit his team and the offensive sets are very perimeter oriented.

But also for Mullens, if he stays for another year, which seems likely now, he should have a great sophomore year. Look at Mike Tisdale, he was worthless his freshman year and look what year two has brought. Add to the fact that Mullens has more natural talent and he could explode in year two.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:32 PM)
But also for Mullens, if he stays for another year, which seems likely now, he should have a great sophomore year. Look at Mike Tisdale, he was worthless his freshman year and look what year two has brought. Add to the fact that Mullens has more natural talent and he could explode in year two.

That'd be nice. Of course every player we have thought would benefit from that scenario has gone pro. It sucks

And we'll make it a better game on Feb 21 folks, hopefully the Bucks wont try to sleepwalk through a conference game next time. I expect a much better and closer game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
Wow, I didnt realize that the Big Ten had the #1 SOS and the #2 RPI of any conference. Thats kind of amazing to be honest.

The Big Ten is a really good conference this year.

Solid win for Illinois. I think the greatest thing about this season is that in all seriousness (and not any homerism), Illinois probably should be undefeated or a one loss team at worst. In all of their losses (Clemson, @ Michigan and @ Michigan St) they had double digit leads at some point in the 2nd half but let the game slip away. I think those losses are the best losses because you learn that you can play with top teams, but also learn that it's a 40 min game.

I dunno that I've seen a team execute offensive sets as well as this one, and that includes the 05 team. The passing and motion are outsanding at times.

Wisky up next. Should be fun.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
Solid win for Illinois. I think the greatest thing about this season is that in all seriousness (and not any homerism), Illinois probably should be undefeated or a one loss team at worst. In all of their losses (Clemson, @ Michigan and @ Michigan St) they had double digit leads at some point in the 2nd half but let the game slip away. I think those losses are the best losses because you learn that you can play with top teams, but also learn that it's a 40 min game.

I dunno that I've seen a team execute offensive sets as well as this one, and that includes the 05 team. The passing and motion are outsanding at times.

Wisky up next. Should be fun.

Ah it wont last, they have alot of difficult road games coming up, so there will be some CLEAR losses. They are very consistent though, they could have easily played down to OSU's level of sluggishness in this game and instead they took it too them and ended the game early. The Big Ten is only going to get better and they are going to surprise alot of teams in the tourney.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 20, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
Ah it wont last, they have alot of difficult road games coming up, so there will be some CLEAR losses. They are very consistent though, they could have easily played down to OSU's level of sluggishness in this game and instead they took it too them and ended the game early. The Big Ten is only going to get better and they are going to surprise alot of teams in the tourney.

Oh I fully expect another loss or two, but to be up like 12 pts with 10 min to go @ MSU says to me they can play and win anywhere. They just gotta learn to close out games. Agreed on the Big Ten. ESPN keeps touting the ACC and Big East, but as you and Musberger pointed out, #1 SOS and #2 RPI belongs to the Big Ten.