Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

Stacked? Ya, I don't think so.

The SIU game last night was absolute garbage basketball, we looked pretty bad but hopefully it's another confidence booster as any road win is huge. Like Kyyle said, Dillard is a freakin stud, so thank god for him. I'm also starting to fall in love with Ryan Hare, he's by far the most aggressive guy on this team and it's starting to pay off big time.

We've come a long way in the last few weeks but the team is definitely still a work in progress. I'm actually starting to have some faith in this squad though, the game @ Ill State on Saturday should tell us a lot on where we're at.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
Stacked? Ya, I don't think so.

The SIU game last night was absolute garbage basketball, we looked pretty bad but hopefully it's another confidence booster as any road win is huge. Like Kyyle said, Dillard is a freakin stud, so thank god for him. I'm also starting to fall in love with Ryan Hare, he's by far the most aggressive guy on this team and it's starting to pay off big time.

We've come a long way in the last few weeks but the team is definitely still a work in progress. I'm actually starting to have some faith in this squad though, the game @ Ill State on Saturday should tell us a lot on where we're at.

If they can play with the same intensity they played with against Creighton(minus the last minute of regulation and overtime), I think they will win.

And I agree about Hare, both him and Dillard all of the sudden snapped to attention. They very well may be the next Young&Tatum, Brooks&Haiirston

Unless Wisconsin gets its act together itll be playing in the NIT for the first time in a decade (I believe).

You hate to start saying "must win" but I think if Wisconsin has any real aspirations they need to go into Champaign and win.

The worst part for the Badgers is that Weber is the coach who has given Wisconsin the most trouble.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
So Illinois State is the best team in Illinois and the MVC is stacked? Wow....

The top of the MVC isn't the best it has been, but the bottom is the best I can remember in a while. There is a lot of talent in this league. Wichita beating both ISU and Creighton shows that to me. Hard to get road wins in this league. ISU is still best in state. :D

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
The top of the MVC isn't the best it has been, but the bottom is the best I can remember in a while. There is a lot of talent in this league. Wichita beating both ISU and Creighton shows that to me. Hard to get road wins in this league. ISU is still best in state. :D

There seems to be talent, but very YOUNG talent, at least by what I have gathered. I still think SIU might end up winning Arch Madness, they have the best talent, but they have a weird mix of parts. They seem to finally be figuring out how to use those parts though. Illinois State, Creighton, Bradley, maybe Drake, and the leaders from Nothern Iowa are all threats as well though. The Valley is definitely wide open, but I think it's more a case of mediocrity than it is parity.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)

The MVC fans are turning into SEC football fans. Just overrate the bottom feeders so when you lose to them its not really that bad of a loss.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
Minnesota better get on their knees and thank whatever god they pray to they're only down 7 points. That was a brutal half of basketball.

Absolutely disgusting game all around. Blake Hoffarber needs to get his head out of his ass and the team needs to remember how to shoot the goddamn basketball. 28% from the field and 16% from downtown is pathetic and unacceptable. The team was absolutely horrible and the fans were just as bad. A bunch of jackasses decided to chant "you're a pussy" when Keaton Grant got hurt, and were completely classless the entire game. I'm starting to hate all the bandwagon fans who don't know the chants (or anything for that matter, I heard someone asking "which one is Ralph Sampson III?" during warmups) and are only there because the team is ranked/the game was on ESPN2.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 08:47 PM)
Absolutely disgusting game all around. Blake Hoffarber needs to get his head out of his ass and the team needs to remember how to shoot the goddamn basketball. 28% from the field and 16% from downtown is pathetic and unacceptable. The team was absolutely horrible and the fans were just as bad. A bunch of jackasses decided to chant "you're a pussy" when Keaton Grant got hurt, and were completely classless the entire game. I'm starting to hate all the bandwagon fans who don't know the chants (or anything for that matter, I heard someone asking "which one is Ralph Sampson III?" during warmups) and are only there because the team is ranked/the game was on ESPN2.

Yeah, Purdue's D deserves most of the credit. But you guys were pretty sloppy overall. It's going to be tough for the Badgers against really good defensive teams because they lack consistent scoring punch aside from Lawrence Westbrook.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
Yeah, Purdue's D deserves most of the credit. But you guys were pretty sloppy overall. It's going to be tough for the Badgers against really good defensive teams because they lack consistent scoring punch aside from Lawrence Westbrook.

I hope you burn in hell :angry:

Purdue played good defense, but we missed a lot of open shots as well. If we had made some of those wide open threes at any point of the game (one of Blake's shots on a fast break is the most obvious in my memory), it would have been a completely different game.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
I hope you burn in hell :angry:

Purdue played good defense, but we missed a lot of open shots as well. If we had made some of those wide open threes at any point of the game (one of Blake's shots on a fast break is the most obvious in my memory), it would have been a completely different game.

lol. I have no idea why I said Badgers. You know what I meant.

Butler having yet another great season and nobody is noticing. As good as programs like Gonzaga, Southern Illinois, and Xavier have been the last decade, Butler has been just as good. I am surprised the Bulldogs aren't getting any attention this year, they are just as good as they were the last two years and they got plenty of attention during those seasons.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 02:15 PM)
Butler is really really good. The way they came back on UIC was amazing, all in the second half.

Yeah I am admittedly very biased about the Bulldogs these days because a friend of mine starts for them, but they are just a fun team to watch and very good.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
Let me retract that statement.

I meant ISU fans, sorry SIU boys.

So you mean me. :). The MVC is the only conference I follow. I can only compare it to previous years. ISU is still probably the best team in the league until someone proves that they can even hang with them at home. Road losses happen in this league. Even to s***ty teams. The Indy St. loss was bad but Osiris was sick. Without him and Champ playing well they are very average.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 08:18 PM)
Yeah I am admittedly very biased about the Bulldogs these days because a friend of mine starts for them, but they are just a fun team to watch and very good.

Hayward's on his way to having a hell of a career for the Bulldogs.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)
Butler having yet another great season and nobody is noticing. As good as programs like Gonzaga, Southern Illinois, and Xavier have been the last decade, Butler has been just as good. I am surprised the Bulldogs aren't getting any attention this year, they are just as good as they were the last two years and they got plenty of attention during those seasons.

They are from me, I saw their only loss.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 22, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)
The MVC is stacked this year. I don't care what the national pundits say. It is good from top to bottom. 16-3. Pretty solid record still.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
So you mean me. :). The MVC is the only conference I follow. I can only compare it to previous years. ISU is still probably the best team in the league until someone proves that they can even hang with them at home. Road losses happen in this league. Even to s***ty teams. The Indy St. loss was bad but Osiris was sick. Without him and Champ playing well they are very average.

Does not compute.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)

You only follow MVC bball. As you should, there is nothing out there at all.

The Big 12 looks like freshman AAU ball

The big 10 is like high school womens hoops

The big east is like Jew Ball at the local JUF.

No wonder you think IL State is the best team in Illinois, you have not seen anyone else.

I

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker