Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 01:25 PM)
Just some of his tactics in the media (ie: Self's funeral) and that he always seems to have excuses. There's other stuff, regarding recruiting, that I don't feel like getting into.

Just for the record, he didn't do that for the media. He did that for his players. And I still think it was a fine thing to do. There was too much talk/dissention on the team about the whole thing. And pretty much right after he did that the team went on a ridiculous tear - the 2nd half of that season, and then the 37-2 national runner up season.

Nor do I think he's ever made "excuses." Even through the Samscum/Gordon saga he never whined except to say that there's a thing called ethics and Samscum wasn't really being ethical. And he totally owns up to his recruiting failures (a good piece on that is coming out in the new ESPN magazine).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Wisconsin/Illinois, Wisconsin has not lost 4 straight Big 10 games in 11 years, but this just seems like that one year where nothing seems to go their way. As a Wisconsin fan its some what frustrating, but at the same time when you look at how far the team has come since the mid 90's (hadnt gone to NCAA tournament in something like 50 years) to now going something like 13 straight years, you just have to hope that its just the law of averages and this is the down year.

Weber has had Wisconsin's number, so this game is probably not going to go well.

But who knows, maybe this game will make up for the Iowa/Minnesota choke jobs.

They just need to get their act together, because they are far to talented to be dropping games like this.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
KU beats Iowa State to go 4-0 in the Big 12.

I mean KU beat Brackins to go 4-0 in the Big 12.

Heads, that cyclones team is god awful minus Brackins.

Lets go Badgers

Brackins scores 41 and we were only in the game a couple of times. The supporting cast is bad.

Apparently ESPN is too busy sucking Duke's asshole ("there's no dispute who the best team in the country is" ... after blowing out a TERRIBLE maryland team) to cover the Harris situation. Hopefully everything turns out ok.

As to the Ill-Wis game, I continue to be impressed with how well Illinois runs their offense. It looks like Wisconsin is playing about as well as they can - it's not like their missing bunnies or open 3's - but Illinois is just executing their offense a lot better. I still think this game is going to go down to the wire though. Hopefully Weber is giving that "its a 40 min game" speech in the locker room.

Wisconsin is shooting 9-27.

If thats "as well as they can", I doubt they will win any other games this season.

Leur is 1-5 and has missed some easy looks, Landry has missed some in close as well as Krabbenhoft.

If they cant shoot above 50% they have no chance to win. From what I have seen they arent even going to come close to that, they are just completely off and no one seems to be able to score.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 04:02 PM)
Wisconsin is shooting 9-27.

If thats "as well as they can", I doubt they will win any other games this season.

Leur is 1-5 and has missed some easy looks, Landry has missed some in close as well as Krabbenhoft.

If they cant shoot above 50% they have no chance to win. From what I have seen they arent even going to come close to that, they are just completely off and no one seems to be able to score.

i'm just saying they aren't missing easy shots. they just can't get shots.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
Brackins scores 41 and we were only in the game a couple of times. The supporting cast is bad.

Yeah he was sick, could make anything today.

The rest of the cast looks like hoosiers, three pointers and slow.

Little and Collins and Aldrich kept it going.

'm just saying they aren't missing easy shots. they just can't get shots.

Wisconsin had 59 shot attempts to Illinois 42 shot attempts.

Leur 1-6, Bohannon 1-7, Wisconsin has no chance with those shooting splits.

I think from this loss they may have found something to at least stay competitive with Purdue next game. But it all comes down to shooting, if they cant hit 45% of their attempts from the field they just arent going to win many games.

I was surprised how reliant Illinois was on McCamey, prior to this game he hadnt seemed to be the focus, but this game he just wouldnt miss.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
Wisconsin had 59 shot attempts to Illinois 42 shot attempts.

Leur 1-6, Bohannon 1-7, Wisconsin has no chance with those shooting splits.

I think from this loss they may have found something to at least stay competitive with Purdue next game. But it all comes down to shooting, if they cant hit 45% of their attempts from the field they just arent going to win many games.

I was surprised how reliant Illinois was on McCamey, prior to this game he hadnt seemed to be the focus, but this game he just wouldnt miss.

The majority of those shots were rushed shots nearing the end of the shot clock. Illinois played an awesome defensive game but the offense sagged a bit in the 2nd half. The biggest stat of the game: 18/22 from the line for Illinois, and 9/10 to finish off the game . Last year that number would have been 10/22 resulting in a loss.

Big game coming up against Minnesota at the barn. I think if we get through that and Iowa we're sitting pretty with a couple of tough games left.

The majority of those shots were rushed shots nearing the end of the shot clock.

Thats just the Wisconsin offense to wait until under 10 to even attempt a shot.

The problem is lately nothing has been falling, regardless of it being rushed or wide open.

Illinois made plenty of rushed and highly contested shots, you just expect that college players are going to shoot better than 1-6 or 1-7.

Illinois played good defense, but more of it was Wisconsin's erratic and horrible shooting.

QUOTE (ScottPodRulez22 @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:01 PM)
You know your just as bad as kjshoe, but on the opposite end of the Ilstu spectrum.

You mean the spectrum that watches all bball teams and can evaluate and knows how to cheer for a winning team.

I went from watching the Illini to that game, haha it would not even be close.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 24, 2009 -> 06:04 PM)
You mean the spectrum that watches all bball teams and can evaluate and knows how to cheer for a winning team.

I went from watching the Illini to that game, haha it would not even be close.

They played a terrible terrible second half, and yet still won by 7. You should have watched them during the first half. I'll listen to your opinion on Illinois State after you have watched more then 1 half of basketball.

Edited by ScottPodRulez22