CC Sabathia

hogan873

I saw a crawl on ESPN that the Brewers were possibley going to offer a contract to CC Sabathia who will be a free agent. I know this is someone the Sox COULD use, and me as a fan WOULD love to see him there. But, does anyone think that he's a real possibility? Obviously the Sox would have to free up some money via trade or not re-signing someone.

Any thoughts?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
I think he stays in the National League with the Brewers. I think people underestimate the fact that Sabathia is a baseball player, and that he loves to hit.

I doubt it will be the Brewers, but you are right about the NL part. He definitely wants to stay in the NL so he can hit.

Of course, that probably just means it will cost an AL team just a little bit more.

He'll go to the Yankees or Angels IMHO.

And I'd probably stay away from him either way. He'll want a 5-6 year deal at least, which JR never gives out to a starting pitcher, and he's thrown a lot of innings in the past few years.

I heard via ESPN Radio that he's building a house in SoCal, so the Dodgers, Angels, etc. are on top of the list. But give an insane contract and anything can change. Reinsdorf never gives pitchers long contracts, anyway.

The Sox just don't really spend that kind of money on FA players, not to say that we don't spend but we're talking about a big money long term deal. I think that KW and JR see those deals as handcuffing an organization with somewhat limited resources if it doesn't work out. Look at the Giants and the Zito deal or Seattle and money they spent on Richie Sexton. If you guess wrong it can really hurt your team's ability to compete for many years.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
He'll go to the Yankees or Angels IMHO.

And I'd probably stay away from him either way. He'll want a 5-6 year deal at least, which JR never gives out to a starting pitcher, and he's thrown a lot of innings in the past few years.

He'll get 7 years. I want nothing to do with him, that would be an irresponsible singing.

It's funny how the economy supposedly is in a big mess and teams are going to give gazillions to a handful of players again this year in free agency.

Is there really a recession? Are people really losing their houses, etc? Or is it all a myth.

If it was true I'd think season ticket sales for teams would be way down.

I guess people buy the tix on their credit cards and just forget about paying anything but a pittance every month.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
I think he will stay in the NL, he obviously prefers that style. Weaker lineups and he gets to hit. Dodgers definitely could be major players with Lowe/furcal/Manny coming off the books.

I don't think there's any way the Dodgers justify taking Manny's money and using it on anything but Manny. Not after what Manny just did.

Should be interesting to see what happens with baseball payrolls this offseason. You would expect the Yankees would add CC and everybody and anybody they think can get them a title. Are the Yankees, Mets and Bosox going to have astronomical payrolls? Historically high?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
I'd be more willing to give him a big contract if he didn't get completely used and abused down the stretch in Milwaulkee. CC is a legit ace though and I'd love having him on the Sox.

Add to that a guy who is pushing 300 pounds and about to get his first BIG contract... that just looks scary to me. I wouldn't do it, that's for sure.