What do we spend our money on this off-season?

DBAHO

Bit quiet ATM, so I'll start up another off-season thread. The Sox are probably going to have around $15-20M to spend this off-season if they want, maybe more, depending if JR will increase the payroll again.

We've got OC, KG, JU, and JC coming off the books which alone is around $20M in salary at least. I can't remember what the deal will be with JC's contract RE insurance.

Also, KW may try to keep bringing in a younger core as he has done in the past few off-seasons, bringing in guys like Floyd, Danks and Quentin etc.

I can definitely see one of JD or PK being offered around in trades, and I think the Giants would certainly have an interest in PK.

If we were looking for a potential OF replacement, a guy I saw got mentioned as possible trade bait was Jeremy Hermida. Here are his numbers on the past 2 seasons;

2007 - .296/.369/.501

2008 - .249/.323/.406

I think they maybe looking for a young third baseman, so maybe Josh Fields would fit the bill. I'd definitely offer Fields + other pieces for Hermida if you traded Dye, because I think if he could get back to where he was in 2007, he'd have a massive impact on the Southside as Quentin did this season.

Second base wise, I saw that the A's are probably going to lock up Ellis to a 2 year deal today. Hudson's the main one on the market, and I would offer an inflated short - term deal, to try and sign him, but wouldn't go anything more than 2 years with an option for a 3rd.

I know rockraines has mentioned J.J Hardy though a few times. He's posted OPS's of .786 and .821 over the past 2 seasons, so he could definitely be a trade option also. The Brewers would want some starting arms though to replace Sheets and C.C though I guess.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
Going to put this here for reference.

-Dotel goes from 5Mil to 6Mil

-Linebrink goes from 4 to 4.5

-MacDougal jumps from 1.95 to 2.65

-Thornton jumps from 875K to 1.325

-AJ jumps from 5.85 to 6.25

-Lexi goes from 950K to 1.1.(There are also bonuses in his deal, which I'm sure he met a bunch of them)

-JD jumps from 9.5 to 11.5

-Swisher jumps from 3.5 to 5.3

I haven't even talked about ARB numbers. Right now, thats about 7 million in salary increase from next year, not counting ARB.

Cabrera and Crede off the books is 14.1 million.

\

Jenks is our only arbitration eligible player who's really guaranteed to be back next year and I'd say he's looking at a $3M pay raise (from $550K to ~$3.5M) so that's about $10M in salary increases from last season. Assuming the Sox pay Thome say $7.5M we're looking at $96.625M tied up in 14 players ($98.875M in 15 players if they bring back Toby.)

Whenever we mention somebody exciting somebody on here says no way it'll happen because of money.

We need a better bullpen or we're going nowhere next year.

We also still need another starter; two if Javy is sent packing.

That's just pitching.

We all know we need some speed in the lineup, not all speed but some.

Good luck Kenny. We're aging in many spots including catcher and we ain't a lock to even have as good a year next year as we did this year.

Rebuilding by the way can and usually does suck. Ask the Chiefs. I'd rather tinker and continue to have a decent contender on paper.

How about getting a youngster like Anibal Sanchez from Florida?

Their rotation is pretty jam-packed.

Ricky Nolasco

Scott Olsen

Josh Johnson

Chris Volstad

Andrew Miller

Sanchez could be a new Gavin Floyd/Carlos Quentin for us.

Send them a prospect like CJ Retherford.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 02:42 AM)
How about getting a youngster like Anibal Sanchez from Florida?

Their rotation is pretty jam-packed.

Ricky Nolasco

Scott Olsen

Josh Johnson

Chris Volstad

Andrew Miller

Sanchez could be a new Gavin Floyd/Carlos Quentin for us.

Send them a prospect like CJ Retherford.

Scott Olsen is going to make something like $2.5M in arbitration next year, they'll dump his ass before the very very very cheap Anibal Sanchez (whom they actually f***ed over in 2007 when he got hurt just so they could keep him cheap.)

I'd love to keep the infield intact (Uribe and Cabrera being the two we may not see again) but if not, honestly if we could somehow sign Manny I wouldn't even feel too bad about an infield consisting of Konerko, Alexei at SS and Manny simultaneously playing 2nd and 3rd, perhaps even pitching to himself while he catches. This isn't even based off what took place in the playoffs, this is an opinion I've held for a good time now. Additionally, the Guillen/Ramirez interaction intrigues me greatly and is worth in itself whatever it would take to attain this man.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 03:18 AM)
Scott Olsen is going to make something like $2.5M in arbitration next year, they'll dump his ass before the very very very cheap Anibal Sanchez (whom they actually f***ed over in 2007 when he got hurt just so they could keep him cheap.)

Florida has been my NL since they began so i follow them fairly closely. Rumor is that they are probably going to trade Scott Olsen. They already have Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Johnson and Vanden Hurk fighting for spots next year and Olsen is the one who will be making the most money.

Also, as for Hermida, they will probably trade one of him or Josh Willingham. Neither of whom would help us unless we got rid of JD for whatever reason.

I dont even know what this would take, but if we could swing a deal for Scott Olsen as a back of the rotation guy along with one of Jorge Cantu/Dallas McPherson to play 3B and a reliever like Taylor Tankersley as a second lefty in the pen that could help this team without adding too much to the payroll, allowing us to pursue a high price MI.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
Florida has been my NL since they began so i follow them fairly closely. Rumor is that they are probably going to trade Scott Olsen. They already have Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Johnson and Vanden Hurk fighting for spots next year and Olsen is the one who will be making the most money.

Also, as for Hermida, they will probably trade one of him or Josh Willingham. Neither of whom would help us unless we got rid of JD for whatever reason.

I dont even know what this would take, but if we could swing a deal for Scott Olsen as a back of the rotation guy along with one of Jorge Cantu/Dallas McPherson to play 3B and a reliever like Taylor Tankersley as a second lefty in the pen that could help this team without adding too much to the payroll, allowing us to pursue a high price MI.

I'd be offering Dye or Konerko to the Giants to try and get one of their good young pitchers not named Lincecum, and then offer Fields and maybe something else for Hermida.

KW's done a good job in recent years at bringing in guys who are young and have had success at the major league level for us, he needs to keep that going.

Considering that the salaries they're gonna command should be fairly similar, I'd LOVE Furcal over the O-Dog Orlando Hudson. But he's such a huge risk with his back. I mean, we've seen what a problematic back can do to a player with Crede, but he'd slide right into that shortstop spot so nicely. Upgraded defense, ideal leadoff hitter, speedy, and it would give more flexibility in filling the centerfield spot than HAVING to get a leadoff type out there. It's just a shame with his back.

A lot depends on what they do with Alexei, and if they move him to SS or not.

Weeks is a guy who I think could blossom at CF with his plate discipline, although as disco said in another thread, the Sox need to go after guys who have good OBP skills, but also have a good BA e.g (no more Swisher's).

The problem is, those guys aren't exactly available out there (except for Furcal and Hudson in FA, and they'll be expensive).

I was just listening to the score and they mentioned that apparently KW is going to make some suprising moves this offseason. What that means, I have no clue! Sign CC or Manny? Im guessing trade JD or PK. To us that wont be shocking, but to that average fan it could be... Stay tuned guys. Once that World Series is over, the offseason begins!

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
A lot depends on what they do with Alexei, and if they move him to SS or not.

Weeks is a guy who I think could blossom at CF with his plate discipline, although as disco said in another thread, the Sox need to go after guys who have good OBP skills, but also have a good BA e.g (no more Swisher's).

The problem is, those guys aren't exactly available out there (except for Furcal and Hudson in FA, and they'll be expensive).

There's always a scenario - let's say Swisher is part of a deal to get Roberts, and the Sox get Weeks to play CF. Weeks would be a solid late-in-the-order, no pressure while he tries to get back to his earlier success guy. I totally agree, it's easy to say "get high ave, high OBP" guys, but they aren't exactly sitting around and easy to get. Just wanted to clarify that I like your idea (especially looking at buy low candidates) but don't like the idea of both Weeks and Swish in the same lineup.

I don't think Alexei determines the offseason moves. I believe it to be the other way around. Whatever moves KW is able to make will determine where Alexei plays. It allows KW to explore numerous avenues, and not handcuff him into only being able to explore 1 position. I'm confident we'll love our SS/2B combo.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
Bit quiet ATM, so I'll start up another off-season thread. The Sox are probably going to have around $15-20M to spend this off-season if they want, maybe more, depending if JR will increase the payroll again.

We've got OC, KG, JU, and JC coming off the books which alone is around $20M in salary at least. I can't remember what the deal will be with JC's contract RE insurance.

Also, KW may try to keep bringing in a younger core as he has done in the past few off-seasons, bringing in guys like Floyd, Danks and Quentin etc.

I can definitely see one of JD or PK being offered around in trades, and I think the Giants would certainly have an interest in PK.

If we were looking for a potential OF replacement, a guy I saw got mentioned as possible trade bait was Jeremy Hermida. Here are his numbers on the past 2 seasons;

2007 - .296/.369/.501

2008 - .249/.323/.406

I think they maybe looking for a young third baseman, so maybe Josh Fields would fit the bill. I'd definitely offer Fields + other pieces for Hermida if you traded Dye, because I think if he could get back to where he was in 2007, he'd have a massive impact on the Southside as Quentin did this season.

Second base wise, I saw that the A's are probably going to lock up Ellis to a 2 year deal today. Hudson's the main one on the market, and I would offer an inflated short - term deal, to try and sign him, but wouldn't go anything more than 2 years with an option for a 3rd.

I know rockraines has mentioned J.J Hardy though a few times. He's posted OPS's of .786 and .821 over the past 2 seasons, so he could definitely be a trade option also. The Brewers would want some starting arms though to replace Sheets and C.C though I guess.

The reviews were on the positive side for Scott Olsen, Mike Jacobs, Dan Uggla, and Alfredo Amezaga. The scout apparently recommended against Jeremy Hermida, Kevin Gregg, and Josh Willingham. Hermida's report was particularly damning, with the scout claiming the right fielder has "no passion for the game."

-rotoworld

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 08:28 AM)
Either way, I think Florida is definitely a good team to target in terms of either a starting pitcher of Hermida this off-season.

Problem is, every other team probably thinks that as well.

And we would have to move fast-which Williams doesnt normally do

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
And we would have to move fast-which Williams doesnt normally do

Um, did you just say that KW doesn't move fast in the trade market?

Some of his trades the last few years and their dates:

11/16/2006 Neal Cotts David Aardsma and Carlos Vazquez

12/6/2006 Freddy Garcia Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

12/16/2006 Ross Gload Andy Sisco

12/23/2006 Brandon McCarthy and David Paisano Nick Masset, John Danks and Jacob Rasner

11/19/2007 Jon Garland Orlando Cabrera

12/3/2007 Chris Carter Carlos Quentin

11/26/2005 Aaron Rowand, Daniel Haigwood and a PTBNL: Gio Gonzalez Jim Thome and cash

12/13/2005 Damaso Marte Rob Mackowiak

12/20/2005 Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino and Chris Young Javier Vazquez

The Thome Trade, Cotts Trade, and Garland trades were all done before the winter meetings. (Convenient MLB Trade Rumors listing of KW's major deals)

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 19, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
I'd nut if we could swing Peavy, but I'm guessing he'd cost a bit much, both in $ and talent.

Just sayin'.

Ahhhh we gotta stay away from Peavy talk on this board. He's a good player but will be no where close to what the asking price will be. If you consider he plays in the easiest park in the easiest division in the easiest league in baseball, it becomes clear that his ERA is better than he is. Also for those who don't like Javy's clutch stats, than don't look at Peavy's playoff stats....

No to Peavy.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
Also for those who don't like Javy's clutch stats, than don't look at Peavy's playoff stats....

No to Peavy.

THIS. Also, want to echo the Padres want to go young, and our only young "talent" is not big league ready. Nor do we really have much of it.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
MLBTradeRumors mentioned we may be interested in Mike Lowell. Anyone care to comment on that? I have kind of mixed feelings on the matter.

The Sox just got done with a 3Bman with back issues...why would they trade for another who has a pretty bloated contract?

It does cause me a moment of humor and some bafflement about why folks think we need to trade our team away to compete next year. Certainly we can improve, but the names being thrown out there PK, Dye, Thome, Swisher as if they were our problem (s). Players have off years, but that doesn't mean they are bad players. Certainly some might have more trade value than othrs, but what are you looking for in return? That is the question. Where do we need to improve and how can we do it? There are some pretty decent free agents available, etc. But, whatever we do let's not forget we WON the division and that was with some guys having off years and others being injured. I certainly agee we can do better but we did alright this past season.