2009 Starting Pitchers

hogan873

So, I would think that Buehrle, Danks, and Floyd are locks. What about the 4th and 5th spots? I hope that we've seen the last of Vazquez and Contreras (although I would take Contreras over Vazquez if we kept one). Is Clayton "Teeth" Richard a starter next year? Are the Sox going to bring someone fro within, sign a FA, or make a trade? I don't see any big FA signings, but I suppose a trade would be possible.

Any ideas out there? Wishes?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Get outta Dodge.

It's a much discussed proposal. Is it worth taking on the 5 years and $101,500,000 remaining on Barry Zito's deal if you don't have to give up much of anything to acquire him and they throw in Tim Lincecum?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Zito/Bailey

With that contract?!?!?!? Nevermind the fact he was for crap this year.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Kenny make a play for Aaron Cook this offseason.

Ervin Santana probably can't be had now.

Maybe Duchscherer?

I honestly wouldn't be against talking to Freddy either.

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
It's a much discussed proposal. Is it worth taking on the 5 years and $101,500,000 remaining on Barry Zito's deal if you don't have to give up much of anything to acquire him and they throw in Tim Lincecum?

What's the proposal? IMO...no...it's not worth taking it on. WAAAAAAAY too much quiche invested in Zito and if the Giants are actually even remotely thinking about dealing Lincecum the line of thinking is they want WAY too much in return and/or they think he's not too far from a major injury. No thanks.

I like how people seem to think Vazquez is a horrible pitcher just because the recent past seems clearer than one's overall history. He's not a 1 or 2. But he's a great 4 guy and can be much much better than that when he's on.

Vazquez>Contreras any day of the week.

I guess the implosion that was Vazquez towards the end is what sticks in many people's minds (mine included). He does have some good stuff and has shown flashes of brilliance. But it's hard to wash that taste out of my mouth...towards the end (when it REALLY counted) he was horrible. You just knew it was going to be a loss.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
I'm confused how we'd get Lincecum while keeping Danks and Floyd. IMO, we'd have to give up 1 of the 2.

As has been discussed it's a pipe dream and is indeed, highly unlikely to ever occur. That being said, a package of Anderson, Allen, Shelby, Broadway, McCullough and a few other pieces (We're talking high upside bats, with maybe a Logan and a Egbert thrown in) would potentially sway the Giants as long as there was agreement that the Sox inherit a good portion of Zito's salary if not all of it. This is predicated on the Giants need for Lincecum being seemingly lessened by the emergence of Alderson and Bumgardener in their Minor League system, as well as the continued successes of Sanchez and Cain. Now, with Coopers recent successes, as well as some slight improvements shown my Zito in the second half it seems possible for his career to be somewhat revived in Chicago. As you saw, he was penciled in as the 5th starter in the rotation. Despite being a ludicrously wonderful thought, it's also highly unrealistic. So yes, I still stick to the idea that we'll be seeing the standard Buehrle, Vasquez, Danks, Floyd, insert FA starter here scenario.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 11:29 PM)
As has been discussed it's a pipe dream and is indeed, highly unlikely to ever occur. That being said, a package of Anderson, Allen, Shelby, Broadway, McCullough and a few other pieces (We're talking high upside bats, with maybe a Logan and a Egbert thrown in) would potentially sway the Giants as long as there was agreement that the Sox inherit a good portion of Zito's salary if not all of it. This is predicated on the Giants need for Lincecum being seemingly lessened by the emergence of Alderson and Bumgardener in their Minor League system, as well as the continued successes of Sanchez and Cain. Now, with Coopers recent successes, as well as some slight improvements shown my Zito in the second half it seems possible for his career to be somewhat revived in Chicago. As you saw, he was penciled in as the 5th starter in the rotation. Despite being a ludicrously wonderful thought, it's also highly unrealistic. So yes, I still stick to the idea that we'll be seeing the standard Buehrle, Vasquez, Danks, Floyd, insert FA starter here scenario.

The Sox don't have the pieces to reasonably make a deal for someone like Lincecum. The names you mentioned would have absolutely no value to the Giants in such a trade; they'd be interested in them just because they could use talent in their system, but the most you'd get is probably someone like Fred Lewis or Randy Winn, and even that's pretty damn unlikely. On top of that, McCulloch has literally no value unless some team wants to take a chance on him - a 4.65 ERA in a pitcher's park at AA...yeah no.

It's interesting to think of a Cain/Lincecum and Zito type deal, but I wouldn't put any real thought into it.

I've only had two beers tonight and still these are two of the funniest things I've read on here in a while.....and they're true:

"Anybody that wants Boone Logan is a nutcase. His pitches scream hit me at all times."

"Anyone saying that they'd prefer Contreras over Vazquez is plain and simple stupid."

:lol: