2009 Starting Pitchers

hogan873

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
1.) Contreras won't be throwing again for a while now, and in fact, I'd say there's a good chance his career is over.

2.) Anyone saying that they'd prefer Contreras over Vazquez is plain and simple stupid.

Ouch! Thank you for pointing out my stupidity. Okay, okay, I get it now. Javy is a better pitcher than Contreras, but I plain just don't like him. He failed for us big time when it counted. I won't go so far as to say I'd rather have Javy, but I'll say I don't want either one.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 11:57 PM)
The Sox don't have the pieces to reasonably make a deal for someone like Lincecum. The names you mentioned would have absolutely no value to the Giants in such a trade; they'd be interested in them just because they could use talent in their system, but the most you'd get is probably someone like Fred Lewis or Randy Winn, and even that's pretty damn unlikely. On top of that, McCulloch has literally no value unless some team wants to take a chance on him - a 4.65 ERA in a pitcher's park at AA...yeah no.

It's interesting to think of a Cain/Lincecum and Zito type deal, but I wouldn't put any real thought into it.

It'd be interesting to see what they would offer for Konerko or Dye though.

If you could get Cain for either, it'd be hard to turn down.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 20, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
1.) Contreras won't be throwing again for a while now, and in fact, I'd say there's a good chance his career is over.

2.) Anyone saying that they'd prefer Contreras over Vazquez is plain and simple stupid.

if contreras were to retire would the sox still have to pay him what hes owed in 09?

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
if contreras were to retire would the sox still have to pay him what hes owed in 09?

No, I don't believe so. But I find it very hard to believe he'd retire when he could get paid millions for trying to get healthy and merely trying to play again. Not many players give up that easily when that much money is riding on their career decisions.

Edited by Markbilliards

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50818

a better article about brett myers. The wife incident was over 2 years ago, and his incident with the reporter i could care less about. Reporters are jackasses and need to be told off every now and then. (brett never attempted to spell retard, although i wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't.) If johnny uribe can shoot people, i'll let brett throw a few punches and say a few mean words.

Edited by Hawkfan

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50818

a better article about brett myers. The wife incident was over 2 years ago, and his incident with the reporter i could care less about. Reporters are jackasses and need to be told off every now and then. (brett never attempted to spell retard, although i wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't.) If johnny uribe can shoot people, i'll let brett throw a few punches and say a few mean words.

You do realize that's from The Onion, right?

I can never predict accurately what Brian Sabean is thinking, but the last thing his organization needs is aging sluggers. The only bats they may be interested in other then the Q, Missile, Swish variety would be a package of people like Anderson, Allen, Shelby, Retherford, Gartrell and Cook .

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
I can never predict accurately what Brian Sabean is thinking, but the last thing his organization needs is aging sluggers. The only bats they may be interested in other then the Q, Missile, Swish variety would be a package of people like Anderson, Allen, Shelby, Retherford, Gartrell and Cook .

if he could get them for very little, absolutely he would

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
Hmm. Javy is coming off a similar year to the year before we gave up some value to get him.

Of course KW cant trade with himself, but perhaps there's a like-minded trade partner out there who will peg Javy as a decent middle of the rotation starter.

In the NL, Javy would be a #2 for many teams. If Kenny traded Javy this offseason, he'd more than likely get a better package than what he gave up in Chris Young, Vizcaino and El Duque.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
The Javy of the last month? I find that hard to believe. Is the NL as bad as the minor leagues now? He was horrific.

#2 is probably an overstatement, but at the same time, perhaps not for the Brewers. Still, aside from his last 4 outings (not that they don't mean anything, because they severely damage his year long ERA, even though the one in the playoffs obviously doesn't count towards his season ERA), he was a pretty damn solid starter all season long. If a team finds good value in that, then they very well may trade for him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 03:45 AM)
The Javy of the last month? I find that hard to believe. Is the NL as bad as the minor leagues now? He was horrific.

Javy threw well most of the year. Pitching against the NL teams would put his ERA in the mid 3's. I wouldn't trust him in a big game. But I bet some team would make a decent offer for him.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
Javy threw well most of the year. Pitching against the NL teams would put his ERA in the mid 3's. I wouldn't trust him in a big game. But I bet some team would make a decent offer for him.

that's my thing - i mean, he can have all the stuff and ability in the world, but if he can't win big games, he has no place on our staff. next year's going to be a dogfight. we need guys with balls. and javy lacks those.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
that's my thing - i mean, he can have all the stuff and ability in the world, but if he can't win big games, he has no place on our staff. next year's going to be a dogfight. we need guys with balls. and javy lacks those.

I don't want Javy throwing in a big game either. Yet his replacement isn't around. right now, he's a number 4 SP on the sox. That's not bad. But if the sox traded Javy, they need to be able to get someone who can throw 200 innings and 30 starts and be at least a #4.

Interesting thought from Rozner:

Stocking stuffer

Why not Jake Peavy to the White Sox?

Good question.

Right now Peavy's considering only a few select NL clubs. But should he decide to ponder some American League teams, winning is his priority, and for that reason and others he hasn't ruled out the Sox.

The Sox would be in the running, a source tells us, assuming GM Kenny Williams has a mutual interest, and you'd have to think it's something he'd explore if given the chance.

But Williams is almost at a disadvantage in one respect. Unlike a lot of teams, the Sox do have talented, young, inexpensive starting pitching, which is what the Padres want and what Williams will not trade.

Williams is as aggressive as they come, but he wouldn't dream of trading John Danks or Gavin Floyd.

However, if he can find a way to make it happen without them involved, a rotation featuring Peavy, Danks, Floyd and Mark Buehrle is a pretty nice way to start your season.

Keep in mind, however, that at this point Peavy is only looking at the National League

I know what your saying, impossible. A) He prefers to play in the NL. B) Unless the Sox will give up one of Danks or Floyd, they have no one else to offer San Diego.

Those assessments are probably correct, however, KW can get creative here. If Peavy does have some interest like he mentioned in his article, KW can figure out a way to bring him over here. We would definitley have to give up Poreda and a couple more of our top pitching prospects- im guessing Richard, Broadway and more. Well in order to get more, KW would have to unload Dye and hope to recieve a couple of pitching prospects to throw in the mega package. Lets not forget that we have guys like Getz, Anderson, Fields, Owens, that can be thrown in there as well. (Not that those names will excite them).

KW can get creative with this one. If he can get prospects back from trading one of Dye or Vazquez, than I say its a possibility.

A rotation of:

Buerhle

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Vazquez/Richard/free agent stop gap

is pretty impressive to me. Rozner could be on to something, but then again who knows what the hell KW plans on doing. Thats the beauty of how he works, we never know what he is planning on doing.