2009 Starting Pitchers

hogan873

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 29, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
For some reason I'm thinking that dealing away every one of our trading chips for 1 starting pitcher might not be the best way to improve this team and the 3 positions on the field in need of new starters.

true. what about that 4th or 5th spot then? Do you guys feel comfortable letting Richard run with it? I think he can be more valuable as a set up man/ middle reliever/ spot starter. If we keep Javy, i would love to move him to the 5th spot (he was in the 5th spot in 2006).

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 30, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
true. what about that 4th or 5th spot then? Do you guys feel comfortable letting Richard run with it? I think he can be more valuable as a set up man/ middle reliever/ spot starter. If we keep Javy, i would love to move him to the 5th spot (he was in the 5th spot in 2006).

I'd be surprised if Javy is anything but the 4th starter going into next year if he's retained. I don't see the Sox bringing in anyone who will be capable of being a #2 or #3 to push Javy back a notch. Whether he's the 4th starter at the end of the season, if he is retained when it's all said and done, is a different story all together.

Peavy makes little or no sense.

We would have to give up Poreda, Fields and Swisher probably. They won't be interested in Dye or Konerko as much.

As mentioned, the White Sox have been better off during the Williams regime finding pitchers on the scrap heap (Loaiza, Eldred, Jenks, Hermanson and Thornton) and prospects (Danks/Floyd) rather than spending money/talent on a big acquisition.

David Wells and Todd Ritchie were the only really big/splashy moves he made...and those moves came early in his tenure. I think he really learned from the Ritchie move about overprojecting "decent" NL pitchers who pitch under little or no pressure for depth/quantity in the pitching department. In fact, it wasn't until 3 seasons later that the organization was able to recover from trades and injuries to put a decent 5th starter on the mound.

Bartolo Colon worked out fantastically. The Sox gave up, like, nothing, and he had a damn good year for the Sox.

Also, I believe you are just talking about the offseason, but Garcia and Contreras worked out well too. Contreras was a project, but Garcia was having a fantastic season in Seattle when the Sox dealt for him.