Steve Stone

Princess Dye

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Stoney's blog...

"All has been quiet on the White Sox front as Kenny Williams and company have to decide #1 what team they want and what kind of team they are able to acquire for next year. Some time those 2 things are not exactly compatible.

Although the list of free agents is not official quite yet, it's safe to say the Sox will not be in the battle for CC Sabathia.

The Sox, who have had a few too many people on their disabled list recently, probably don’t have enough room on their roster for Ben Sheets so don’t go look after him.

But there are some intriguing lower level agents that the White Sox might have some interest in.

I believe that Kenny has at least one, possible 2 blockbuster deals that he will participate in; one that I am not at liberty to discuss at this point and a couple others that I can only guess at.

But the Sox know that he have some work to do because the Indians will get better, Detroit will get older and Minnesota is always pretty tough."

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 03:11 AM)
The problem for Milwaukee is the economic position they find themselves in. Because Escobar seems ready to make the permanent jump to the bigs, Hardy becomes expendable, and can be moved to strengthen a weakness. I don't believe for a second the Brewers are even going to be in the CC sweepstakes, and it seems as Sheets is sort of an afterthought in Milwaukee. If they want to continue to play at a high level, a rotation of Gallardo-Parra-Bush-Suppan-Villanueva

isn't going to get them back to the post-season.

It will be an interesting winter for the Brewers.

They're going to have to trade Prince to get pitching back. It's sad for them, as they've spent the last 5 years drafting/developing some great talent, and they have to blow it up after really only 2 seasons of competing.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 03:00 AM)
I was thinking about JJ Hardy, but the Brewers would have to be stupid to trade him, IMO. Put Escobar at SS and Hardy at 3B.

Any chance we can get Cain from the Giants?

SF would likely want Swisher. He's likely to rebound.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
They're going to have to trade Prince to get pitching back. It's sad for them, as they've spent the last 5 years drafting/developing some great talent, and they have to blow it up after really only 2 seasons of competing.

But you know what...some of that they brought on themselves by focusing so hard on winning this year. Although they will load up on draft picks from CC and probably Sheets and that will help...having LaPorta in their system still would make a big move still possible for them.

I can definitely see a Paulie for Figgins deal going down with some other people involved. The guy I'd still like to see Kenny target for the rotation (if that's what he's doing) is Aaron Cook. Somebody else mentioned Hermida which would be nice only if he could play CF IMO...or JD was moved. Maybe some thought to Roberts too?... You also have to think about 3B with guys like Garrett Atkins or Kouzmanoff being an alternative to Figgins.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
On the Score today.... saying that some things are in the works that might surprise Sox fans. Again, I think most shocking KW move would be the most expected or natural one (i.e. Hudson).

What may these surprises be?

It wouldn't exactly be a surprise or shocking if it is the most expected move. Shocking would be a trade of one of our team core like Buerhle, Konerko, Thome, or Dye.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
But you know what...some of that they brought on themselves by focusing so hard on winning this year. Although they will load up on draft picks from CC and probably Sheets and that will help...having LaPorta in their system still would make a big move still possible for them.

You're right, that they went for it all and missed. But from some of the scouting I have read of LaPorta, some say he might be a good hitter, but not really as good as Travis Haffner before he fell off big time. I guess he is not regarded as highly as one thought.

I also wouldn't touch Prince Fielder even though he is a left handed hitter. Fielder= the next Mo Vaughn IMO

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 10:50 PM)
It wouldn't exactly be a surprise or shocking if it is the most expected move. Shocking would be a trade of one of our team core like Buerhle, Konerko, Thome, or Dye.

I would only consider Buehrle part of the team core. IMO, the core is guys who are young and will be used to build the ball club for the next 5 years. Only MB is that, Konerko, Thome and Dye should all be making their exits from the organization in the next two years.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 23, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
If that is the case, I would LOVE to have Fielder, and would give up a ton to get him.

Mo started to break down at age 34. Prince is 24. As a 32 year old, Mo still hit 36 HR's with an .863 OPS.

+1

Personally i would like to see one of Weeks/Hardy on the south side next year

I could see KW going hard after Hermida and Gregg.

Moving Dye and Vazquez to get the prospects to get it done.

I wouldnt be against CC coming here but i doubt it'll happen, Derek Lowe on the other hand.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Oct 24, 2008 -> 12:00 AM)
You're right, that they went for it all and missed. But from some of the scouting I have read of LaPorta, some say he might be a good hitter, but not really as good as Travis Haffner before he fell off big time. I guess he is not regarded as highly as one thought.

I also wouldn't touch Prince Fielder even though he is a left handed hitter. Fielder= the next Mo Vaughn IMO

That’s not bad. I remember that when Brandon Allen was drafted he was compared to a more athletic Mo Vaughn. What does that have to do with anything? Nothing really. Just