OilCan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1698782

From 2004:

Background

Jayson Nix is the brother of Texas Rangers outfielder Laynce Nix. Someone in their family must like the letter "Y." The Rockies drafted Jayson in 2001, out of high school in Midland, Texas, as a supplemental first-round pick, compensation for the failure to sign '00 pick Matt Harrington. A pitcher/shortstop as a prep, Nix moved to second base after signing due to questions about his range. He has good pop for a middle infielder and is one of the better "sleeper" prospects around.

Scouting report

Nix is a good athlete, with surprising strength for his size. He has quick wrists, and like his brother he shows good baseball instincts, with a natural feel for the game. Offensively, he will hammer most fastballs and will usually hold in well against breaking balls. He strikes out too much when he tries too hard to hit for power. That's the main thing he'll need to correct at higher levels. He'll hit for plenty of pop if he just stays within himself and makes contact. Nix has decent speed and shows a knack for stealing bases. Defensively, he has a very strong arm for second base, being a former shortstop. His range is adequate. He made 21 errors last year at Visalia, but his reliability should improve with more experience. Scouts praise his work ethic, and say he is a baseball rat.

Performance

Statistically, the most notable thing in his record is his unusual power for a second baseman. He knocked 21 homers last year, but his 46 doubles were equally as impressive. The doubles tied for the minor league lead. That's a sign of further power development to come. His batting averages and on-base percentages aren't terrific, and he projects as a .260-.270 hitter up the ladder. But with enough power production, that's fine, and the thin air in Coors Field will likely boost those numbers. His strikeout rate is high enough to worry me, and it will be extremely interesting to see how well he adjusts to Double-A pitching. He steals bases at a sound percentage and should remain a speed threat at higher levels.

Health record

Nix has had no major health concerns.

What to expect

Nix has major breakthrough potential. His power makes him an attractive fantasy investment as a middle infielder and playing in Coors will boost his numbers even further. The main concern is his plate discipline: are the strikeouts a warning that he won't make contact at higher levels or is it a correctable problem that will ease with experience? At this point, we don't know. Personally, I'm inclined to be optimistic about Nix, and I think he's one of the most promising middle infield prospects in the game. He should reach Colorado in late '04 or early '05. We will track his performance in Double-A very closely and will alter his timetable as needed.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
.125 average with 17 k in 56 AB. Looks like a future Charlotte Knight.

Yep, organizational depth. He's talented but fell on his face in his first shot at the majors last year (.395 OPS) though he rebounded nicely in his 3rd go around at AAA .303/.373/.591/.964 in 264 AB.

After being sent down to AAA last year he had a .964 OPS in 67 games. I wonder if the scouts saw something that makes them believe he can turn it around. Otherwise he's insurance in case other deals don't get done.

Interesting signing, and it could mean a Getz / Nix platoon at 2B possibly if the Sox want to go down that route. Gives them another option anyways.

FWIW here is some more stuff on him;

Sickels report from 04 -

One of the bigger disappointments in the minors this year, hitting just .214/.298/.359, having major problems adjusting to Double-A pitching in his first shot at the level. Although his strikeout rate isn't bad (68 in 82 games), it was obvious that he needs some major adjustments in his mental approach. He was consistently behind in the count, swung at pitches outside the strike zone, and looked like he was trying to pull everything. He did hit one big home run, but he also produced several medium-depth fly balls. On the positive side, he is only 21, and his defense at second base looked quite good. I think he will turn it around.

Scouting report

Nix is a good athlete, with surprising strength for his size. He has quick wrists, and like his brother he shows good baseball instincts, with a natural feel for the game. Offensively, he will hammer most fastballs and will usually hold in well against breaking balls. He strikes out too much when he tries too hard to hit for power. That's the main thing he'll need to correct at higher levels. He'll hit for plenty of pop if he just stays within himself and makes contact. Nix has decent speed and shows a knack for stealing bases. Defensively, he has a very strong arm for second base, being a former shortstop. His range is adequate. He made 21 errors last year at Visalia, but his reliability should improve with more experience. Scouts praise his work ethic, and say he is a baseball rat.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
This has Jenks/Quentin written all over it.

I like it. A lot.

On a much smaller scale maybe. Jenks was a K machine with a 100 MPH fastball in AA and Quentin had shown ability in the Majors while being one of the game's biggest prospects for a time. Nix is a busted first rounder other than one season in the low minors.

Still though, I like the move too. Nothing to lose.

Maybe a Getz/Nix platoon until Beckham is ready.

I'd be surprised now if the Sox signed Orlando Hudson. He'll want years, but I don't see the Sox making Beckham a 3rd baseman--and he's not going to be in the minors very long. Getz/Nix/Uribe seem to be a good stopgap until Beckham is ready. If Getz or Nix play their way into the lineup long term, even better.

from baseball america in 2003

5. Jayson Nix, 2b

Drafted: HS—Midland, Texas, 2001 (1st round supplemental).

Signed by: Dar Cox.

Background: The brother of Rangers outfielder Laynce Nix, Jayson was a star shortstop/righthander in high school. He was moved to second base in instructional league following his 2001 pro debut, and adapted well enough that talk about a possible conversion to catcher was tabled. He tied for the minor league lead with 46 doubles in 2003.

Strengths: Able to drive pitches into either gap, Nix has plus power potential for a middle infielder. He has an excellent sense of how to play the game and is able to make adjustments. He shows leadership and is never intimidated. He’ll be known as an offensive player, but his range and speed at second base are solid average and he has a strong arm.

Weaknesses: Nix swings and misses more than he should when he gets too pull-conscious. He’s still learning the nuances of positioning himself at second base.

The Future: Nix hit in the first three spots in the Visalia lineup and will be best suited for hitting second or third in the majors. He’ll move up to Double-A in 2004 and should be in the big leagues to stay the following year.

From 2004

Background: The younger brother of Rangers outfielder Laynce Nix, Jayson led the minors with 46 doubles in 2003 but suffered a season-long slump in 2004. His struggles carried over into the Arizona Fall League, where he hit .191. Nix was a shortstop/pitcher in high school and the Rockies have discussed making him a catcher, but he has cemented himself as a second baseman.

Strengths: Nix entered 2004 with a rap as an offensive-minded second baseman but has developed into a plus defender with good arm strength and range. He turns the double play well. His speed makes him a factor on the bases, and he has good pop for a middle infielder. The Rockies praise his natural feel for the game and work ethic.

Weaknesses: Nix may have too much power for his own good because he gets overly pull-conscious trying to hit homers. He needs to use the opposite field more often, show more selectivity and worry about attacking the gaps. Last year, he seemed to lose his ability to adjust to pitches.

The Future: Nix still figures into the Rockies’ future, but he’s in line for a refresher course in Double-A.

Evidently fits the grinder mode...

Q: Walker from Durham, NC asks:

As overall players, Chris Nelson and Jayson Nix seem similar, their age being the only significant difference. Both are above average defenders with the offensive potential to hit near .300 with 20+ home runs, would you agree with such an assesment?

A:

Tracy Ringolsby: I would say Nelson is more atheltic than Nix, and would have a higher upside, but Nix is so intense he will outperform his raw ability.

Q: Bren from IBC, Boston asks:

What happened to jayson Nix? What was his season long slump all about?

A:

Tracy Ringolsby: He is an overtryer.He needs to relax. This is the year we find out how good he can be.

i love it. guy with upside, though unrealized, for nothing. this is a 'why the hell not?' signing and we've had a few of those go our way recently... have we not?

i definitely am fine w/ him and getz battling it out for 2b. both guys i'd like to see succeed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 05:58 PM)
what gives you that impression Knight?

He has had primarily just good things said about him by scouts.

The negative: he tries too hard sometimes and pulls the ball for power too much, i.e. White Sox baseball.

He's a tenacious worker, very quick wrists, powerful, a "grinder" and is going to be in a power stadium.

He's a SS playing 2B who will be given every chance to succeed.

He has untapped potential written all over him.

If Nix is in the White Sox plans, KW is crazier than Ozzie. All your scouting reports are from 2004. That's 5 seasons ago. He hasn't been a Rockies top 10 prospect for 3 years. He's a guy who has some ability and an outside chance to be a bench player. I wouldn't read anything more into this than that. Amazing how much excitement another all or nothing hitter who hasn't proven squat gets around here. He's a strikeout machine.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 28, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
If Nix is in the White Sox plans, KW is crazier than Ozzie. All your scouting reports are from 2004. That's 5 seasons ago. He hasn't been a Rockies top 10 prospect for 3 years. He's a guy who has some ability and an outside chance to be a bench player. I wouldn't read anything more into this than that. Amazing how much excitement another all or nothing hitter who hasn't proven squat gets around here. He's a strikeout machine.

how about we give KW the benefit of the doubt given the fact that he's done this over and over and over and every time people rip the decision and then we get CQ, Lexi, Loaiza, Thornton, Jenks, etc