What will be Kenny's signature move of 08-09?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Rickie Weeks would be a bad acquisition, he's poor offensively and defensively.

I'd love to see KW unload Vazquez to Washington for Zimmerman and prospects, then send Dye to SF for Jonathan Sanchez.

Uh, I'd say we'd have to be the team throwing in the prospects to get Zimmerman.

He's argubly Washington's best player and the face of their franchise.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
Uh, I'd say we'd have to be the team throwing in the prospects to get Zimmerman.

He's argubly Washington's best player and the face of their franchise.

But here's the rub...Washington's best player and face of their franchise missed 1/3 of last season and hasn't put up a >.800 OPS in 2 years.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)

I'd love to see KW unload Vazquez to Washington for Zimmerman and prospects, then send Dye to SF for Jonathan Sanchez.

Rickie Weeks would be a great addition. BJ Upton was absolutely terrible at 2b too, so bad that the Rays wouldn't play him period at the ML level to spite his offensive talents. They put him in CF and holy crap hes a solid CF. Weeks was a top 5 prospect only 3 short years ago, has been plagued by a broken wrist during that time that hurt his numbers, as well as other various random injuries. If you're looking for a guy who could be this year's Quentin, he fits the profile better than almost anyone. He has legit 30/30 talent, and his OBP will come up if he's healthy enough to bat .260-.270. Consider his speed, and i bet he'd be pretty similar to Upton defensively in CF. im not saying he'd be a hero, but if you are able to get him for a mediocre prospect and a decent bullpen arm, why wouldnt you? if he gets completely healthy and transitions to CF he could be a force at the bottom of the order. realize the Brewers thought enough of him to bat him leadoff.

I want no part of Zimmerman, i think he's horribly overrated and it would cost at minimum Vazquez, Poreda, and Getz considering the Nationals franchise considers him their best player. He is great defensively, but he too has health problems and offensively isnt anything this team needs. he is nick swisher offensively at 3b.

Dye for Sanchez? Sanchez with his 5+ era in the ultimate pitchers park? yuck... absolutely yuck... Konerko for Sanchez and a prospect would make more sense. Dye in theory should bring you more than a average young SP with crappy control

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
But here's the rub...Washington's best player and face of their franchise missed 1/3 of last season and hasn't put up a >.800 OPS in 2 years.

If you're Washington though, you're trying to build from within, and it's not like they are a very good hitting team regardless.

They'd have to be blown away to deal Zim IMHO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)

There is no rub.

That 1/3 of the season he missed last year was parts of May, all of June and the beginning of July, after returning from that shoulder injury he put up a .306/.370/.455/.825 line the rest of the way. He's only 24 years old and has been an above average offensive player in every year of his career, he's an exciting young player with big time potential on a team that had a $54M payroll and finished with the worst record in the game last season. They won't be trading him for anything short of a king's ransom of young talent, not a 32 year old $11.5M middle of the rotation starter and MAYBE 2 low level prospects 2 3/4 years from now.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 4, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)

Zimmerman > Vazquez

And SF has a glut of outfielders and with Winn, Lewis, Rowand, Roberts, and a couple prospects like Ortmeier and Bowker. If we make a deal with SF it will be sending them a corner infielder where they are very thin.

Another tall tale from Kenny?

At the 2006 winter meetings, White Sox G.M. Ken Williams told me that he probably would not trade a starting pitcher before spring training.

He sent Freddy Garcia to the Phillies that night.

Needless to say, I'm skeptical that Williams will go with Chris Getz and Jayson Nix at second, Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens in center field and Josh Fields at third base.

Williams, however, says that the White Sox are comfortable adding to their young core even if it means using unproven players at three positions.

"It's really tough to get more speed and get more athletic if you don't get a little younger in the process," Williams said. "It's tough to have it both ways."

Perhaps, and a free agent such as second baseman Orlando Hudson likely will be too expensive for the White Sox.

Then again, Williams also said that the Sox are getting "a lot" of interest in their veterans — presumably, right fielder Jermaine Dye, right-hander Javier Vazquez and outfielder Nick Swisher.

As always, Williams will consider anything and everything, forever in search of his next surprise.

— Ken Rosenthal

Why not Teixeira?!? Hear me out. First off I understand it'll be a bidding war for the guy. But I'm hoping Kenny will get into the mix or at least inquire. Why?...I'm not just thinking about next year but 2-3 years down the road. We'll probably have the likes of Beckham and Danks up IMO...and also Poreda.

So we could have a potential core roster of:

1B-Teixeira

2B- Beckham

SS- Lexi

3B-Fields (if not traded)

C-AJ (but not for a whole lot longer)

CF- Danks

RF- Quentin

LF-?

SP- MB

SP- Danks

SP- Floyd

SP- Poreda

SP- ?

Money coming off the books this year and the next few years via trade or end of contract:

Thome- 16M

Javy- 12M

Paulie- 12M

JD- 9.5M

Cabrera- 10M

Toby- 1.75

Crede- 5M

Juan- 5M

Dotel- 5M

Swish- 4M

I understand you'll have to pony up dough for Danks and Floyd as well as Bobby at some point. I know last year I was one of the people who wanted to go young and dismantle the aging veterans (and thank god I was wrong...we would have missed out on a fun...but frustrating year). But a young core like that would be pretty enviable and I trust Kenny to fill in the blanks of the question marks. Is it too much money for one guy?...probably. But Teixeira is in his prime of 28 and his put up tremendous numbers consistantly. The question is...how much would KW and Jerry be willing to pony up?

I understand a lot of movement would have to take place in order to get this done (ie-trading Paulie and probably JD)...but IMO is a move for the future...albeit and expensive one...but a very productive one.

KW will be very active IF he can find some takers for his high priced vets and get a boatload of talent for Bobby Jenks. I've read the Sox want Dye at DH . That could mean somehow getting out from under the Thome contract if that is even possible. That contract is the noose strangling trade possibilities and free agent signings. There are always decent outfielders available, examples being Ryan Ludwick and Rick Ankiel.

I know Vazquez is the center of trade rumors but would that really be the 1st move KW makes creating 2 holes in the starting pitching ?

Don't look for any signature move too soon most free agents will be signed by Jan. 1st to avoid the expected Obama tax hike on people with high salaries. Konerko might be an option for teams who lose in the Texeira sweepstakes.

IF Getz and Fields start the season at 2nd and 3rd I'd be shocked. If that happens then KW would have failed in every A-Z plan he tried to make and believe me he will be out there wheeling and hopefully dealing.