I never thought I'd say it, but...

I don't miss anything about either of them.

It was such a nice thing to fall asleep with the Sox game on with no fear of waking up to North's idiocy.

I can open the back page of the Sun-Times sports section with no chance of reading spiteful, petty venom peppered with stupid nicknames....unless Greg Couch has an article back there....

The only better thing would be LESS of them.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
I don't miss anything about either of them.

It was such a nice thing to fall asleep with the Sox game on with no fear of waking up to North's idiocy.

I can open the back page of the Sun-Times sports section with no chance of reading spiteful, petty venom peppered with stupid nicknames....unless Greg Couch has an article back there....

The only better thing would be LESS of them.

From what they say he is Marriotti's little puppet and one of the only people in the industry that likes Jay,or atleast pretends too.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
From what they say he is Marriotti's little puppet and one of the only people in the industry that likes Jay,or atleast pretends too.

Oh, yeah, I knew that. There's no doubt Couch went to the Jaybird Academy of Lowest Common Denominator Journalism.

Never. Mariotti wrote uneducated criticisms of management, which I would never miss. I actually think, at this point in time, that most quality opinions on professional sports and their management is found on the internet on blogs and message boards. Even though I dont always agre with opinions on this site or on blogs like Cheat's, I find that at least they usually have a good thought pattern and back up their ideas with observations and third party information.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Never. Mariotti wrote uneducated criticisms of management, which I would never miss. I actually think, at this point in time, that most quality opinions on professional sports and their management is found on the internet on blogs and message boards. Even though I dont always agre with opinions on this site or on blogs like Cheat's, I find that at least they usually have a good thought pattern and back up their ideas with observations and third party information.

i don't want quality opinions, i want to "feel" like someone is calling out management...(even if the most their rantings achieved was to irritate management).

topics could include: WTF was john paxson thinking with this roster? WTF is going on with the bears defense? WTF was lou pinella thinking?

BTW i don't drag my laptop on the train so i'm limited to newspapers and radio.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:44 PM)
i don't want quality opinions, i want to "feel" like someone is calling out management...(even if the most their rantings achieved was to irritate management).

topics could include: WTF was john paxson thinking with this roster? WTF is going on with the bears defense? WTF was lou pinella thinking?

BTW i don't drag my laptop on the train so i'm limited to newspapers and radio.

There's still plenty of analytical conversation going on, it's just not spewed with phony venom.

Boers and Bernstein probably come closest to what you miss from Mariotti and North. I listen to them often, and I find them funny more often than not, but I take them as a spoof of sports radio more than as a serious sports talk program.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 12, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)
i like phony venom i guess....a little show business makes life a more interesting, even if you know it is a scam....boers is just phoning it in at this point. i don't think he actually watches any sports other than horse racing.

Boers phoning it in is still funny as hell.

North, I guess I do miss a little. I think an evening shift (7-10) could have possibly worked for him. M&H have all but made me forget he did mornings though- it's a sold show. Haven't really heard too much Hampton/Holmes but I never really dug on Holmes and thought Abbatacola would have been a solid M&H midday replacement.

Jay? I stopped reading his crap years ago. I understand part of his approach was instigation with the end result of people reading him, and that's exactly why I never went out of my way to read the garbage. He was also annoying to see on ESPN from time to time.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
Well Steve loves Mariotti but I think he has chosen not to fight that battle anymore.And I dont blame him.

I never LOVED him, but I wasn't going to ignore every column he wrote just because "he hates kenny he hates the white sox he hates ozzie wahh wahh"... I thought he brought a unique perspective to Chicago sports writing... the non-homer. However, I haven't really missed him, but I also haven't visited the Sun-Times Website to print an article for the morning work s*** since he left either.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
anybody with me on that? Is there anyone left who is critical of chicago team management/ownership? I can't remember any column I've read in the last month and I read both papers every day. I listen to B&B in the afternoon, but their continued defense of Lovie & Co. is bordering on bizarre.

Mariotti sucks big time,every time I see his ugly mug on that stupid show on ESPN,I throw up a little in my mouth and quickly turn the channel,his voice is like sandpaper to my brain.

I never liked Marriotti,so I never read him, therefore I can't possibly miss him. I can say I don't miss the silly threads tearing into him every other day. You know the threads, the ones where everybody wrote in complaining about him and then Tex steps in and makes a comment about how Jay says the same things everybody here does, but when he does it is b.s.. Remember those? Been a long time since that has happened.

Wait...what was that on page 1 of this thread???

North? I am thrilled I don't have to every so often stumble onto that voice anymore! I like M&H a lot. Well, mostly Mulley.

Now if there was someway of getting rid of Murphy...