Alexei on move to SS, Viciedo...

caulfield12

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....ez-welcome.html

Kind of short...seems like he definitely is on the side of bringing Viciedo into the fold, or he's just talking a good game about a former Cuban. Hopefully KW seals the deal (with our lack of a sure candidate in Josh Fields blocking the way, it should be more tempting) and he signs with us soon.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about this:

1) Sign Viciedo

2) Trade Fields for Adrian Beltre

You get Adrian Beltre in a contract year (.334 / .388 / .629) during the tranistion then when he walks next year we get plenty of picks and open a spot up for Viciedo. Things that make this much sense rarely happen, but that would be awesome.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that Alexei is lifting weights...maybe it's part of his normal routine. I just think with players like Ramirez and Soriano, they get so much of their power from their wrists, forehands and the bat speed/whip.

I just hope it doesn't affect his swing...not worried about him becoming the next Gabe Kapler or Juan Gonzalez though. Roberto Clemente gained his strength when he was growing up by squeezing racquetballs over and over again with his hands.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
how about this:

1) Sign Viciedo

2) Trade Fields for Adrian Beltre

You get Adrian Beltre in a contract year (.334 / .388 / .629) during the tranistion then when he walks next year we get plenty of picks and open a spot up for Viciedo. Things that make this much sense rarely happen, but that would be awesome.

Because they would ask for more than Fields...probably Fields AND Poreda, in order for this deal to go down.

Kenny would counter with Fields AND Broadway/Richard, but they wouldn't bite in all likelihood.

The memories are still too fresh about Borchard/Thornton and Morse/Reed/Olivo for Garcia. We've absolutely hosed them the last two trades. I think they will be much more hesitant a third time around....they're not super-desperate to trade him, he's well liked by the organization and his teammates.

They have a new GM...

Maybe I overvalue Fields a little bit but Beltre was abysmal last season at the plate. I know he's a good defender but really if all the Mariners wanted on top of Fields was Broadway I wouldn't be able to say yes quickly enough.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

If Fields was coming off the 2007 season and NOT this off-season with the injury/defense/pouting issues...then you would probably have a deal. Same with pitchers like Broadway, McCullogh or Egbert a season or two ago.

He hasn't sunk to Borchard/Rauch lows yet...2008 will be a huge year for Josh. We'll see how serious he was about getting in shape/rehabilitation as well as how his defense looks when/if he's healthy in the spring. I think KW will be smart enough to hold onto him at least through the middle of March and showcase him out in Arizona.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
They have a new GM...

Maybe I overvalue Fields a little bit but Beltre was abysmal last season, at the plate. I know he's a good defender but really if all the Mariners wanted on top of Fields was Broadway I wouldn't be able to say yes quickly enough.

Abysmal to the tune of a 109 OPS+.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
For how much they're paying him thats abysmal.

Yeah except that he's also the best defensive 3Bman in the league too, and he was more than worth his money.

Beltre's a good player and if a team wants him, they'll have to pay a pretty penny. I tend to hope it's the White Sox, but if it becomes too expensive, I don't see it working.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
For how much they're paying him thats abysmal.

Not when he's also the best defensive 3B in the game, plays everyday and is fleet of foot. Your definition of "abysmal" is interesting though, hate to think of how you'd describe Konerko's season. Adrian also had the 3rd highest RARP (runs above replacement player, adjusted for position) amongst AL 3B in 2008 (only behind A-Rod and Longoria) which is quite good.

If you were the Mariners, who would YOU take, lol?

Dmitri Young/Michael Cuddyer and Perkins/Blackburn for Beltre.... OR

Drum roll please!

Josh Fields and Lance Broadway/Russell/McCulloch?

I don't think there's any question our neighbors to the north will be able to offer a more alluring package, if that's the route they go in. Dealing one of their starters is a huge risk though, because then they're in the Livan Hernandez/journeyman FA fifth starter's trap again.

There's a 50/50 chance that the Twins will line up with Beltre and Orlando Cabrera as the left side of their IF (or Blake).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
Yeah except that he's also the best defensive 3Bman in the league too, and he was more than worth his money.

Beltre's a good player and if a team wants him, they'll have to pay a pretty penny. I tend to hope it's the White Sox, but if it becomes too expensive, I don't see it working.

I know you love it as much as I: .292/.349/.512/.862 in stadiums not located in Seattle last season a steady trend we saw throughout his time with the Mariners. If you read the U.S.S. Mariner they absolutely love Adrian Beltre to the point where they have actually endorsed extending him to another long term deal and they get to see him play everyday.

Not when he's also the best defensive 3B in the game, plays everyday and is fleet of foot. Your definition of "abysmal" is interesting though, hate to think of how you'd describe Konerko's season. Adrian also had the 3rd highest RARP (runs above replacement player, adjusted for position) amongst AL 3B in 2008 (only behind A-Rod and Longoria) which is quite good.

I've been wanting Paul Konerko off this team for a couple years now.. he makes Beltre look like a rockstar.

I also could've sworn I saw a 90 OPS+ for Adrian Beltre on his B-R page for 2008. I knew I saw that.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
I've been wanting Paul Konerko off this team for a couple years now.. he makes Beltre look like a rockstar.

I also could've sworn I saw a 90 OPS+ for Adrian Beltre on his B-R page for 2008. I knew I saw that.

4 years ago, maybe. He's been over 100 for the past 3 seasons.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
His OBP is just frightening though. He had only 30 more walks than Juan Uribe in 200 more AB's.

The thing is, we have plenty of guys like Thome, Quentin, Dye and Konerko (when healthy) with great OBP's. Even Swisher, theoretically.

Beltre has been a clutch run producer with very little protection in that line-up (Richie Sexson?).

The solid D is extremely important to KW...that's the main strike against Fields (along with contact at the plate) and the reason we saw Uribe (also Josh's health) down the stretch.

There has to be a feeling of uncertainty about Ramirez at SS, so shoring up 3B after seeing the likes of Ventura and Crede for so long only makes sense.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
His OBP is just frightening though. He had only 30 more walks than Juan Uribe in 200 more AB's.

And yet he's still going to hit for big time power (even more than he is now if he joins the Sox), enough contact, play everyday, be a positive influence in the clubhouse, play astounding defense at 3B, add to the team speed and net us two 1st round picks at season's end. Then there's the wild card of him going off and becoming the best player in the game again in the second contract year of his career, incredibly unlikely (.01% chance) but you never know, that ability is in him - or a needle - somewhere.

Believe it our not you're not going to find 9 players who hit for good contact, walk 100 times, don't strikeout, hit for good power, play great defense, run the bases well and do it all for a league minimum contract. You find imperfect but very good baseball players that mesh well and play well as a team, Adrian Beltre is a perfect fit.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
And yet he's still going to hit for big time power (even more than he is now if he joins the Sox), enough contact, play everyday, be a positive influence in the clubhouse, play astounding defense at 3B, add to the team speed and net us two 1st round picks at season's end. Then there's the wild card of him going off and becoming the best player in the game again in the second contract year of his career, incredibly unlikely (.01% chance) but you never know, that ability is hiding inside him somewhere.

Believe it our not you're not going to find 9 players who hit for good contact, walk 100 times, don't strikeout, hit for good power, play great defense, run the bases well and do it all for a league minimum contract. You find imperfect but very good baseball players that mesh well and play well as a team, Adrian Beltre is a perfect fit.

I don't want stolen bases...just going from first to third on singles, 2nd to home on everything but line drives...1st to home on doubles. All of these things would be nice to see.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
I don't want stolen bases...just going from first to third on singles, 2nd to home on everything but line drives...1st to home on doubles. All of these things would be nice to see.

Yep and Beltre does them all well while playing a position that is typically filled by plodders (especially in recent Sox history).

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Yea but I dont if it's worth both Poreda and Fields to get him, especially if were serious about getting rid of Jenks.

I'd probably hesitate in making that deal as well simply because Poreda is so important to the big club right now but if they were willing to take Fields and 1 or 2 of anyone in our system not named Poreda and currently eligible for trade then I'd do it in a heart beat.