Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Yeah, I agree. I don't really think he's trying for 2009 all that much. He's basically rebuilding(retooling as he says) for 2010, so he won't have to keep getting rid of players like he has been since he took over. I mean, maybe things would be better if our players were able to gain familiarity with one another.

Regardless, I think instead of modeling after the Braves, he's slightly adjusting his philosophy to model the Sox after Tampa Bay. Rebuild that farm system, and have young players everywhere who are good.

To be honest, this team should be planned around when talent like Danks, Beckham and Allen or Shelby reach the majors.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
Regardless, I think instead of modeling after the Braves, he's slightly adjusting his philosophy to model the Sox after Tampa Bay. Rebuild that farm system, and have young players everywhere who are good.

Tampa was built around a bunch of players drafted high in the first round. KW has no prayer of adapting to this philosophy, as he'd be fired long before it would pay dividends.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
To be honest, this team should be planned around when talent like Danks, Beckham and Allen or Shelby reach the majors.

This is the year then, because that year is looking like next year. I really think that if we're out of it by Sept Konerko, Dye, and Thome will most likley be gone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)

I kind of think that's what he's doing too... But with Kenny...ya never know.

Ya know...when it's all said and done...Betemit could be a friggin' steal here. One of the Braves top prospects...traded twice, fell out of grace, injured, etc...and never really got any consistent ABs. Maybe he just needed a fresh start.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
Ya know...when it's all said and done...Betemit could be a friggin' steal here. One of the Braves top prospects...traded twice, fell out of grace, injured, etc...and never really got any consistent ABs. Maybe he just needed a fresh start.

Yeah, I also like Betemit.

He really has never had consistent playing time and the Sox park is great to hit in. Even if he doesn't start he is a nice utility player, definitely an upgrade over Uribe.

Hopefully we still sign that Cuban kid Viciedo as another option at third or etc.

Betimet probably takes Uribe's place. He's built like him. The minor league pitchers are throw ins who at one time were considered to have a shot. The key to the deal is the $24 million they now don't have to pay Swisher over the next 3 years. This way of trading is the best way to get some value for a guy who has regressed and has nowhere to play on the current White Sox team. They take the savings and bring in other players, either taking money on with a trade or signing FA's. What if they signed Juan Cruz and Henry Blanco with Swisher's money? You still would have some cash left and Blanco, Cruz, Betimet and a couple of minor league pitchers would be a pretty good haul for a guy who hit .219 and couldn't get AB's in front of DeWayne Wise during the stretch.

Betemit means the end of Uribe saving 5 million. If Swisher doesn't rebound big time, his contract would be unmovable. He may be great in the clubhouse but is a career .244 avg with a best of .262. He gets a nearly 2million raise after hitting .219. Owed 21 million next 3 years. I am not so sure thats undervalued. 2010 6.75 and then 9 million in 2011.

It all depends if saving nearly 15 million from Crede, Uribe, and Swish is spent wisely!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 07:42 PM)
Betimet probably takes Uribe's place. He's built like him. The minor league pitchers are throw ins who at one time were considered to have a shot. The key to the deal is the $24 million they now don't have to pay Swisher over the next 3 years. This way of trading is the best way to get some value for a guy who has regressed and has nowhere to play on the current White Sox team. They take the savings and bring in other players, either taking money on with a trade or signing FA's. What if they signed Juan Cruz and Henry Blanco with Swisher's money? You still would have some cash left and Blanco, Cruz, Betimet and a couple of minor league pitchers would be a pretty good haul for a guy who hit .219 and couldn't get AB's in front of DeWayne Wise during the stretch.

I'd love to sign Blanco and Cruz. Hall was pretty bad and Blanco is one of the better back-up C's in the game. Cruz is a very good arm out of the bullpen- if we sign him, let's just pray he stays healthy.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
I know for a fact that 3 coaches absolutely hated Swisher and his act. I think I mentioned that a few weeks ago. One coach in particular.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Ozzie doesn't bench his starters, and Nick was behind DWayne Wise. How much more is there to say?