Swish Traded to the Yankees

Steve9347

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Not to most whitesox fans, while some really liked B-Mac here Danks was just as good a pitching prospect and threw from the left side and Massett had ability to make an impact out of bp. Ive always been a Danks fan partly because a good friend of mine is a Rangers fan so knew about their system. As for the Freddy deal everyone knew he had nothing left and getting any return was a success, not to mention Gio has always been one of my favorite wsox prospects and I was a big Floyd fan.

Bit off topic, but are you going to have to remake your sig now that Swish is gone? May i suggest Poreda, Danks2 or Beckham?

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Not to most whitesox fans, while some really liked B-Mac here Danks was just as good a pitching prospect and threw from the left side and Massett had ability to make an impact out of bp. Ive always been a Danks fan partly because a good friend of mine is a Rangers fan so knew about their system. As for the Freddy deal everyone knew he had nothing left and getting any return was a success, not to mention Gio has always been one of my favorite wsox prospects and I was a big Floyd fan.

:o

I think it was the exact opposite.

I remember large numbers of WhiteSox fans and media hating both deals when they happened.

In fact, KW took an incredible amount of heat for the BMac deal. And most people thought we could have gotten a MUCH better deal for Freddy at the time.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)

I remember large numbers of WhiteSox fans and media hating both deals when they happened.

In fact, KW took an incredible amount of heat for the BMac deal. And most people thought we could have gotten a MUCH better deal for Freddy at the time.

Well I was thinking more about the educated crowd rather than the casual fan. On one hand its always tough to see players you like go, but I think i think both were more than solid deals. The trades I didnt care for were the Cunningham/Richar trade, Carlos Lee trade, and now both Swisher trades.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
Well... for what it's worth....

A Chicago Tribune poll after the McCarthy trade showed that 69.9% of fans thought it was a mistake.

I was in the 30.1%....I was ecstatic with it. Never had much faith in the guy.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)

It was indeed the exact opposite.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56073

lol@willie's initial reaction. And lmao@fathom/tito in this thread. Dudes went crazy.

Edited by Jordan4life

Thanks for finding that Jordan4life.

Some great stuff in there. Here's one of my favorites quotes from the thread...

"People! Gavin Floyd sucks! He will be out of this league in 2 years, book it! He is not the present nor is he ever going to be the future. I've seen him pitch for years and doesn't even deserve a shot in our bullpen. Philly has been dying to get rid of him for years. He got lit up in AAA, they still brought him up, got lit up in the NL, they brought him back down to AAA, got lit up again. And now he is still getting lit up in Winter ball. He's done and Kenny bit on him."

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
sign Viciendo

Big fan of that...It would lessen the hurt of selling someone I thought fit in perfectly and just happened to have a bad season. Dude still hit 26 home runs and had a stretch where his offensive play helped us out. Swisher has been a favorite of mine since Oakland, I was thrilled to see him come here, and I know he'll rebound (sadly in NY) which is what makes it so tough to see him go. I hope to God that Betemit does not mean the end of Uribe. If Betemit takes Getz out of the picture for '09 then I'm all for it, but he's absolutely no replacement for Uribe.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)

lol@willie's initial reaction. And lmao@fathom/tito in this thread. Dudes went crazy.

Hey, I didn't make a complete ass of myself in this thread! Also, I edited a post from two years ago because of spelling.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)

BWWWWAHAHAHAAAAAAA.... Good God...what a roller coaster thread that was. Thanks for that trip down memory lane.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
I haven't seen all 15 pages, but my guess is most people dislike this trade?

I can't say I like getting rid of BMac. I think he'll be a good SP in the AL, with the ability to regularly post a sub 4.00 ERA. But I really like Danks. And Masset has a high ceiling as well.

But for those people saying the sox are writing off 2007--step away from the ledge. The sox have gotten two probable top of the rotation SP's [ in Gio and Danks] and two very good arms [in Floyd and MAsset] for BMac and Freddy. And all four guys the sox have gotten should help the sox in 2007.

With the sox top competition being heavy on lefty hitters [Mauer, Morneau, Hafner, Sizemore], getting guys like Danks and Gio into the sox rotation in the next yr or two will make that much better able to beat those teams.

I'm glad to see I didn't go ballistic over the trade. Most people were just as upset over losing Freddy too [though not to the extent of wanting to do bodily harm to KW over the BMac trade]

For the most part, Kenny Williams has done a very solid job trading for players and trading away those in the sox organization. Why go crazy over a trade that may not make much sense in the short term? Though KW has made some misses, he has gotten far more in return than he's given up via trade. With a better draft team in place, KW will only be helped by having better prospects in the system, and not having to solely rely on getting other teams castoffs or overpaying via trade.

that's why the Swisher trade should be kept in perspective. The sox seem to be making a move to get a high salaried player in-someone who can help the next few years--I'd hazard to guess who can hit near the top of the order.

The White Sox have increased ticket prices by a pretty good percentage on their better seats. Given the current state of the economy, I think this means they will be throwing some money around this offseason. I don't think they would increase prices and make you watch Owens in CF, Fields at 3rd, Nix at 2B all at the same time.

In my baseball world I trust KW with any moves he makes.Hell, I hated the Swisher trade when we brought him but I still trusted that KW judgement was better than mine.Even though that didnt work out KW IMO is in the top 3 of GM's in all of sports so I expect that one maybe two of these guys he brought over from the Yanks are going to produce well for us and make us forget about Swish,Sweeney,Gio,DLS and that whole situation.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 06:02 AM)
I'm glad to see I didn't go ballistic over the trade. Most people were just as upset over losing Freddy too [though not to the extent of wanting to do bodily harm to KW over the BMac trade]

For the most part, Kenny Williams has done a very solid job trading for players and trading away those in the sox organization. Why go crazy over a trade that may not make much sense in the short term? Though KW has made some misses, he has gotten far more in return than he's given up via trade. With a better draft team in place, KW will only be helped by having better prospects in the system, and not having to solely rely on getting other teams castoffs or overpaying via trade.

that's why the Swisher trade should be kept in perspective. The sox seem to be making a move to get a high salaried player in-someone who can help the next few years--I'd hazard to guess who can hit near the top of the order.

Great post.

I'd like to add that when most of us here talk about potential trades and rumored trades, when we bring up prospects we bring up guys that we've read about. We get the prospect listings while the Sox scouts actually watch these guys play. Obviously we weren't going to get a Phil Hughes type out of Swisher, but there were comments suggesting we should've gotten like Melky Cabrera or Ian Kennedy or something. Who knows if the Sox even like either of those guys? Just because some publication says Marquez right now would rank somewhere in the 20's in the Yankees system as a prospect doesn't mean there are 20-some odd better players in their system. This is a clear buy-low deal for Kenny, and while it may not work out in the end, I trust Kenny and the Sox scouts over Joe Blow of Baseball America or whatever publication would make it out like Marquez isn't a very good player. I also trust the Sox staff over Yankees fans who go "ZOMG!!! i saw this Markqez dood pich n he SUXXX!!!! hez gotta k/9 of 3!!!OMG whatta steel billd $$$$MAN a monumint 4 dis1!!!!"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
The White Sox have increased ticket prices by a pretty good percentage on their better seats. Given the current state of the economy, I think this means they will be throwing some money around this offseason. I don't think they would increase prices and make you watch Owens in CF, Fields at 3rd, Nix at 2B all at the same time.

Good point. Right now, those guys are options if nothing better comes the sox way. It gives KW some bargaining room w/ other GM's by not seeming desperate to make a deal. Those guys really are AAA options in case a starter goes down, rather than a starter on a playoff team.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
I think Kenny is serious about Fields, not so sure about the other guys. I certainly HOPE he is not serious about Owens. I'd rather pick up Mark Kotsay for one year or something if he's not a Type A, assuming Kenny doesn't want Anderson out there.

He can't be serious about Owens. IMO, you let Anderson play, or you find a legitimate CFer for at least two years. Kotsay is not a guy I'd be very interested in. I think if Fields is healthy, he is not a bad option for 3B, so I agree with you that he is probably serious about Fields, if he doesn't identify and acquire a better player in the offseason.

To clarify my own point, I'm leaning towards Anderson in CF since there is pretty much nothing available in FA. Unless someone not named Tavaras becomes available via trade, KW might as well shore up the other areas on the team and let Anderson get one last shot at starting in CF and hitting 8th or 9th. Anderson is an upgrade over Swish, Wise, and Griffey on defense alone and did show some flashes of offensive potential despite exteremly limited ABs at some points in the season. Since none of those three were even very good offensively, it is not a major drop-off year-to-year.

The scariest part about leaning towards Anderson in CF - even though I'd support him as the everyday starter - is the fact that he would be made to compete for the job in ST. With Taveras, if we acquired him, Anderson would probably be in the competition on paper, but Taveras would basically be given the job. That doesn't scare me because at least Taveras can play CF. If you go with Anderson then that means you're going with an Anderson/Owens competition in ST, which is particularly frightening because all Jerry Owens has to do is steal one base and stay healthy through camp in order for Ozzie to hand him the job outright. I mean holy s***, Owens was supposed to beat out Carlos f***ing Quentin last year before he got hurt.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: if I could be GM of the Sox for one day, the first and probably the most important thing I would do would be to trade Jerry Owens somewhere where we wouldn't be able to get a hold of him again. I'd be the only GM in MLB history to trade a player for a $20 gift card to Best Buy, and I'd do it within the division, or maybe Japan for some sushi, or to Nigeria for a list of email addresses.

PS I will be livid if the Sox end up leaving a prospect like Link exposed to the Rule-5 in order to keep Owens on the roster.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
Great post.

I'd like to add that when most of us here talk about potential trades and rumored trades, when we bring up prospects we bring up guys that we've read about. We get the prospect listings while the Sox scouts actually watch these guys play. Obviously we weren't going to get a Phil Hughes type out of Swisher, but there were comments suggesting we should've gotten like Melky Cabrera or Ian Kennedy or something. Who knows if the Sox even like either of those guys? Just because some publication says Marquez right now would rank somewhere in the 20's in the Yankees system as a prospect doesn't mean there are 20-some odd better players in their system.

Thanks.

The sox scouts have done a good job of recognizing talent that hadn't been consistent [Danks, Floyd, Thornton, et al] and making a run at them when they became available for a decent price in terms of talent. Now that the draft scouting department seems to have improved [with Poreda, Beckham etc looking like impact players], KW doesn't have to rely on project players making big improvement jumps. Marquez and Nunez seem like the project types, who need some refining and work before they can help the sox. Yet the sox seem to be striking more of a balance on how they get their players, through draft, big and small trades, and free agents.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 05:06 PM)
To clarify my own point, I'm leaning towards Anderson in CF since there is pretty much nothing available in FA. Unless someone not named Tavaras becomes available via trade, KW might as well shore up the other areas on the team and let Anderson get one last shot at starting in CF and hitting 8th or 9th. Anderson is an upgrade over Swish, Wise, and Griffey on defense alone and did show some flashes of offensive potential despite exteremly limited ABs at some points in the season. Since none of those three were even very good offensively, it is not a major drop-off year-to-year.

I can see the sox trading for a legit 5 tool CFer [think Beltran], and still add someone with speed in LF [ala Taveras], moving Quentin to RF [where he's played the most coming up in the minors]. If the sox added a RHB with speed in LF, they could keep Owens. Anderson provides defense but not much contact or speed, which the sox need from a guy playing mostly off the bench.