Kerry Wood

hogan873

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
With the Cubs trading for a new closer in Gregg, Kerry Wood is no longer a Cub. He is supposed to file for free agency at midnight. Is he a guy that the Sox should even take a look at? Not as a closer, but as bullpen help?

I say no, he's going to be looking at big money, plus I believe it would cost us a draft pick.

IMO, you don't try to outbid on closers to use them as setup men. The additional money people get for earning those "Save" totals makes it so that the only team that can really afford to buy a closer to use as a setup man is the Yankees. It's the difference between a $5 million a year pitcher and a $10 million a year pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
Do you think Contreras is?

Jose isn't until maybe after the 09 all star game? So you might be answering your won question. I don't see Wood a starter, and if he is he wouldn't stay healthy enough to last all season

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
I bet he ends up being a closer in the AL Central. Don't forget he's a type A.

its so stupid that they treat middle relievers and closers as two separate positions in that....what do you think? tigers? indians?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
YES YES YES.

PLease sign Wood. I would LOVE it. Put him in the 7th inning role, or close him if we trade jenks. A pen of Jenks, Wood, Dotel, Thorton, Richard and Line is ridonkulous.

I have a feeling that if we get Wood we'll be trading Jenks or Dotel.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Jose isn't until maybe after the 09 all star game? So you might be answering your won question. I don't see Wood a starter, and if he is he wouldn't stay healthy enough to last all season

That was the point of bringing up Contreras.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
I would only look at Wood if we traded Jenks, hes not worth the draftpick we would have to give up to acquire him as a mere set up man. Hes basically the same type of pitcher as Dotel and we are already on the books for his 6 Mil or whatever.

If you think about it in terms of a trade...we'd be trading away:

Bobby Jenks

Our first round draft pick in 2009

Probably about $15-20 million (the difference between Kerry Wood's contract, maybe 3-4 years at $10 million a year and Jenks who's just hitting arbitration)

We'd be getting back:

Kerry Wood

Whatever the haul for Jenks is.

To make that deal balance...you need a monstrous haul for Jenks. You need someone to do something stupid. You need to go to the Rays and have them offer you David Price or something like that. You need to go to the Mets and have them say "Here's David Wright". And maybe more, depending on the salary constraints.