Kerry Wood

hogan873

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
I could be wrong, but I think if you offer someone arb and they accept, you can't trade them for a while. I don't know if many teams want Cabrera at $11 -$12 million anyway.

You're right, but he won't take arbitration when he can easily sign a multi-year deal elsewhere. His ego is too high to admit he's not worth a multi-year deal. At 34 (right?), this is probably his last chance at a multi-year deal anyway.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
You're right, but he won't take arbitration when he can easily sign a multi-year deal elsewhere. His ego is too high to admit he's not worth a multi-year deal. At 34 (right?), this is probably his last chance at a multi-year deal anyway.

If he's offered $6-8 million a year for 2 or 3 years, he may jump at the arb offer believing the market and economic conditions could be better next year. He is definitely in the group of guys who are going to get squeezed this off season. The top 4 or 5 guys won't be affected. If they don't offer him arb we know they really didn't like him very much.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
If he's offered $6-8 million a year for 2 or 3 years, he may jump at the arb offer believing the market and economic conditions could be better next year. He is definitely in the group of guys who are going to get squeezed this off season. The top 4 or 5 guys won't be affected. If they don't offer him arb we know they really didn't like him very much.

They'll offer him arbitration. KW has been open about the "value" of Cabrera even if he doesn't re-sign.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)
If Detroit is willing to trade for Lugo (albeit dumping a bad contract in the process), some team will give Cabrera a good enough offer so the Sox will have to offer him arbitration I would have thought.

But they are giving up a bad contract in exchange. I don't think Detroit is going to be in any position to add money.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
But they are giving up a bad contract in exchange. I don't think Detroit is going to be in any position to add money.

I was just using Detroit as an example though.

If Lugo is traded to them, that's 1 less SS option on the market thru FA or a trade though, which is probably a good thing from OC's perspective.

I imagine he may wait until Furcal signs with somebody also.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
Wow the Cubs REALLY didn't want him back, or they are on some very tight budget restraints. I'm surprised they didn't even offer him arbitration.

Cubs fans are pissed. The loser here is Kevin Gregg, he didn't ask to be one of the reasons for Wood's depature. He's going to get his ass handed to him by an unfavorable Wrigley crowd.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
Wow the Cubs REALLY didn't want him back, or they are on some very tight budget restraints. I'm surprised they didn't even offer him arbitration.

It has to be budget constraints. If he were to for some reason accept arbitration, what do you think they could get for him in the trade market, esp. if they tossed in a couple million of his deal?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Cubs fans are pissed. The loser here is Kevin Gregg, he didn't ask to be one of the reasons for Wood's depature. He's going to get his ass handed to him by an unfavorable Wrigley crowd.

Indeed. Well when you give all of your players backloaded contracts (and that really starts to come home to roost in 2009 and 2010 for the blue b****es), have a lot of veterans, are in the midst of a bad economy, and can't sell the team, I guess moves that look silly like this one are needed to be able to write the paychecks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
It has to be budget constraints. If he were to for some reason accept arbitration, what do you think they could get for him in the trade market, esp. if they tossed in a couple million of his deal?

He would have been a 10 and 5 if he had stayed with the Cubs, I know that, which is probably part of the problem they had.

Now that I've realized Wood wasn't offered arbitration, I wouldn't be opposed to adding him to the bullpen. But, he'll want too much money and too long of a deal than we'd be willing to pay for an very injury-prone pitcher. If he came somewhat reasonable and we trade Jenks, it would definitely be worth looking into. Though, his injury history really scares me.

Edited by dasox24