Kerry Wood

hogan873

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
its so stupid that they treat middle relievers and closers as two separate positions in that....what do you think? tigers? indians?

i think the indians will make a run at him but i can't see them paying him what he'd require.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
Depends, if you moved Jenks I wouldn't be opposed to it. But it depends on the guaranteed years and price.

Like I said last page...the only way that makes sense is if you're moving Jenks for an absolute fortune. You better walk out of the Jenks deal feeling like you treated the other team like George Lucas treated Indiana Jones.

Low ball him on a 1-yr offer to stay in Chicago, he said he prefers to stay in Chicago, make him say no, if we could get him for 1-yr reasonable $$$s why not, I am all for loading up our bullpen. If he thinks he is going to get $10mm and more than 2yrs he is crazy, not with his injury history.

QUOTE (chiguy79 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Low ball him on a 1-yr offer to stay in Chicago, he said he prefers to stay in Chicago, make him say no, if we could get him for 1-yr reasonable $$$s why not, I am all for loading up our bullpen. If he thinks he is going to get $10mm and more than 2yrs he is crazy, not with his injury history.

He'll get 3 years, $30M easy, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he pulls in a 4 year deal worth $10M per. He showed last year that he can stay relatively healthy out of the pen while being a more than competent closer, that's all some teams need to see especially those who desperate for a late inning-man.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
Didn't Wood have a problem with Steve Stone several years ago for Stoney telling it like it is?

Yeah, the Dusty Baker blow up happened around the same time. Stone has always been highly critical of Woods mechanics in relation to his injury history, and Wood complained about it during an interview.

I couldnt find all of the back and forth quotes, but here is an excerpt from everyones fave Mariotti

Wood, one of baseball's biggest enigmas, could have shrugged it off in a confidence display. Instead, he succumbed in an ultra-defensive manner that suggests he'll always be too stubborn to heed constructive criticism. ''To me, that speaks more about what happened last year,'' Wood said of Stone. ''That's a sure sign of where it started last year. I came to spring training and was doing my job and then that stuff starts coming up. I choose not to comment on it, I choose not to say anything back. It's a waste of time, a waste of breath and a waste of ink for all you guys.''

The response provides no indication that Wood, a vital clubhouse leader, is ready to do anything but forge the same Us vs. The Evil Stoney mentality that embarrassed the team last year. ''We know Kerry's lips are in shape, we have to make sure his arm is in shape,'' Stone fired back. ''Writers get paid to write, and broadcasters and analysts get paid to talk. Pitchers get paid to pitch, and somewhere along the line you have to shut up and pitch.''

This sets the stage for Wood's 2005 debut today, which comes after a frustrating March when he suffered tightness in his right shoulder and lower back. For now, the season's most important moments are this afternoon and Tuesday, when Prior is expected to make his first start after his spring training was interrupted by elbow inflammation. Stone laid out the critical accompaniment for Prior, as well, saying Cubs insiders have wondered if he is too soft mentally to pitch through pain. When he arrived three springs ago, Prior was a work of art, almost flawless mechanically and tough emotionally. Now, we hardly recognize him.

Of course, it's the job of the general manager and manager to discourage players from obsessing about outside influences such as media. Baker claimed to have learned his lesson from last year's Stone-related shenanigans, saying, ''After last year's fiasco, everybody is more low-key.'' Yet earlier this week in Phoenix, Baker couldn't resist mixing it up in the sand box. Asked about Stone's presence on talk radio, he could have flicked the question away. Instead, like Wood, he bit on the Stoney bait. Not only did he acknowledge that he's well aware of Stone's radio commentaries, he knew that the Sun-Times is printing excerpts.

If the manager allows himself to be Stoned, is it any wonder Wood is Stoned?

Eventually, if tensions spiral out of control again, it will be Hendry's job to intercede. He says he spoke to the players often last year about misplaced priorities, but the statements evidently didn't sink in. Even Chip Caray is weighing in from Atlanta, saying the players ''embarrassed themselves and the team.

'' Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
I'd be up for offering him a 1 year, although he will probably make some decent change somewhere else.

Any chance we take a shot at Randy Johnson for the 5th starter spot? I hear a lot of talk about Colon and Garcia on this board and personally it gets me a little shakey.

Randy has said that he'd like to stay in the NL and he's looking for around $8M.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
That same article by Rogers mentioned that the Sox aren't guaranteed to offer arbitration to OC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6923159.story

That would be f***ing stupid. One of the reasons for picking him up was his Elias A ranking.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
That would be f***ing stupid. One of the reasons for picking him up was his Elias A ranking.

I think woods will never get 10 million he's not a starter and not a proven closer.. What is he but he has in the past shown some promise.. I think he might have to relearn some mechanics. Instead of being put right back into the fire.. I myself would rather see the sox sign big unit I think we would see a better than a 500 pitcher which would allow Poreda, richard and Nunez to mature for another year.....

QUOTE (forrestg @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
I think woods will never get 10 million he's not a starter and not a proven closer.. What is he but he has in the past shown some promise.. I think he might have to relearn some mechanics. Instead of being put right back into the fire.. I myself would rather see the sox sign big unit I think we would see a better than a 500 pitcher which would allow Poreda, richard and Nunez to mature for another year.....

I disagree with a lot in this. First, it's Wood...he's only been around for a decade now. He'll easily get at least 10 million, as he proved last year he can be a good closer. Nunez is not going to be a starter, and he's really not likely to be one of our top 15 pitching prospects next season. Also, there's no way Johnson comes to the NL. If he signs for a team outside of the west coast, he'll be pitching for the Cubs (and spend 2 months on the DL likely due to his back).

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
That same article by Rogers mentioned that the Sox aren't guaranteed to offer arbitration to OC.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6923159.story

Wow that would be stupid. If he accepts, you have a one-year stopgap for Beckham to be ready. Then you move Alexei to SS or keep him at 2nd and let Beckham play SS. If he decline, you get two first round picks. What's the problem? This better not be the Sox being cheap and not wanting to spend $3 million on two more draft picks.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Wow that would be stupid. If he accepts, you have a one-year stopgap for Beckham to be ready. Then you move Alexei to SS or keep him at 2nd and let Beckham play SS. If he decline, you get two first round picks. What's the problem? This better not be the Sox being cheap and not wanting to spend $3 million on two more draft picks.

I remember being ridiculed when I said about 8 months ago that the Sox didn't want to have to spend the money on the extra arbitration pick (straight from a BA writer). I really hope that's not accurate.

Don't believe everything Phil "Brandon McCarthy is a proven workhorse" and "Juan Silverio is a man-child" Rogers says. I think we all like Link - why not? - but I don't believe the closer hype, nor do I believe the Sox will decide against arbitration.

This article from ESPN which I believe was posted here at some point explains how all that wonderful change Mr. Obama is carrying in his sleigh will affect sports. There is the belief that players will sign much sooner in free agency this year so we might see more players ink before the arbitration deadline. If so, OC might make this decision for us.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Link=Egbert in terms of thinking him as a second/third tier prospect.

KW still has a little bias in favor of the Koch/Russell/Masset/Adkins (post-Durham trade overhype) type of pitcher out of the pen. Or Aardsma.

Seeing the successes of Hermanson, Takatsu and Wasserman should have given him pause to at least consider other pitching styles...in fact, too many pitchers with "stuff" and the same look/s out of the pen, that's basically the worst thing you can have. Every team needs a Chad Bradford/Neshek type.

Failing to offer arbitration to Cabrera would be dumb as hell. He's almost certainly going to sign a multi-year contract elsewhere and even if he accepted arbitration, the Sox would be able to deal him with the number of teams looking for a shortstop, even if two of them are in the AL Central.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 02:55 AM)
Failing to offer arbitration to Cabrera would be dumb as hell. He's almost certainly going to sign a multi-year contract elsewhere and even if he accepted arbitration, the Sox would be able to deal him with the number of teams looking for a shortstop, even if two of them are in the AL Central.

I could be wrong, but I think if you offer someone arb and they accept, you can't trade them for a while. I don't know if many teams want Cabrera at $11 -$12 million anyway.