Cubs targeting Teahen? Does that make sense?

caulfield12

Cubs Targeting Teahen

By Coley Ward [November 18 at 5:02pm CST]

More fallout from the Ryan Dempster signing. The Kansas City Star's Bob Dutton is reporting the Cubs are once again targeting Mark Teahen to fill their right field vacancy. Dutton says discussions to acquire Teahen "stalled earlier this month, in part, because the Cubs’ wanted to hold onto several young players while discussing a possible trade with San Diego for pitcher Jake Peavy if Dempster signed elsewhere."

Now that Dempster is on board, acquiring a left handed hitting outfield bat is the Cubs' highest priority. But who would the Cubs trade for Teahen?

The Cubs want to move Japanese import Kosuke Fukudome, but that’s a tough sell -- to any team, not just the Royals -- because he slumped badly last season over the closing months and is owed $38 million over the next three years.

A more-likely possibility is Felix Pie, a 23-year-old once viewed as a can’t-miss prospect. Pie batted just .223 in 260 at-bats with the Cubs over the last two years after posting strong minor-league numbers.

[snip]

The Cubs can also offer shortstop Ronny Cedeno or second baseman Mike Fontenot if the Royals prefer to acquire a middle-infield partner for Mike Aviles.

Pie is also out of options and the Cubs seem to have run out of patience, so he is a likely trade candidate. Teahan, meanwhile, has yet to live up to the hype that surrounded his promotion to the big leagues, but he could blossom hitting against weaker NL pitching. Teahen, you might remember, was one of the featured players in the book "Moneyball" and was described as a future Jason Giambi.

The Tigers are looking at LHR's Joe Beimel, Arthur Rhodes and Darren Oliver. No mention of Denys Reyes or Guardado, lol. They also appear unwilling to give closer's job to Zumaya or Rodney. Stay tuned.

As far as Teahen goes, he's NOT a corner outfielder. If he could play it, his best position would be 2B in terms of his offensive game, but he would be atrocious there defensively (envision Josh Fields turning the double play at 2B and that's a good picture)...he's a better fit as a platoon player at 3B IMO.

At least Dayton Moore has already decided he's not a building block. And the Cubs won't be able to package Pie, the Royals already have their own version in J. Gathright, if he can stay healthy.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say I would rather give Betemit 350 at-bats than Teahen, I would rather give those major league AB's to Josh Fields in 2009 to see what we have exactly...

i actually think teahen would be a nice fit for the cubs...in that park/lineup/league i think he can hit .280/.350/.450 with 20 HR ....

actually frankly i think he CAN hit that in the AL, but i think hes got a good shot to do it in the NL

Edited by daa84

This just became more feasible... Royals got Coco from Boston (as reported on the Score). As I stated in my offseason projection plan, the Royals have some position players to trade. They now have Gordon, Butler, Shealy, Jacobs, Teahen, DeJesus, Gathright, Crisp, Guillen, and eventually Moustakas to fit into 6 spots.

QUOTE (Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
This just became more feasible... Royals got Coco from Boston (as reported on the Score). As I stated in my offseason projection plan, the Royals have some position players to trade. They now have Gordon, Butler, Shealy, Jacobs, Teahen, DeJesus, Gathright, Crisp, Guillen, and eventually Moustakas to fit into 6 spots.

My feeling is that they will try to trade DeJesus. He can be susceptible to injuries, he's not a CFer, he can't hit for enough power to play the corners, he's getting into that stage where he is overpaid for what he brings to a small market team...like Johnny Damon Lite.

The Royals parted ways with Beltran, Damon and Dye when they became too successful, holding onto one-time franchise player and most popular Royal Mike Sweeney. I don't think DeJesus will be there long-term...Moore knows he's a complementary player on a great team, not a superstar.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
My feeling is that they will try to trade DeJesus. He can be susceptible to injuries, he's not a CFer, he can't hit for enough power to play the corners, he's getting into that stage where he is overpaid for what he brings to a small market team...like Johnny Damon Lite.

The Royals parted ways with Beltran, Damon and Dye when they became too successful, holding onto one-time franchise player and most popular Royal Mike Sweeney. I don't think DeJesus will be there long-term...Moore knows he's a complementary player on a great team, not a superstar.

DeJesus signed a 5 year $13.8 million contract prior to the 2006 season. There is also an option for 2011. If Nick Swisher's contract is "reasonable" his is a downright bargain.

Suppose it works both ways....the "reasonable" contract makes him much more affordable to keep but also more attractive for other teams to acquire. He's a name player to most casual fans and Roto participants, but I still don't think he's the difference maker that many are looking for...where he's clearly a better option than someone like Coco Crisp. I lived in KC for ten years (1996-2007) and I've seen enough of him in CF at Kauffman to realize he's not someone I'd want out there for the White Sox, at least at that position, on an everyday basis. If he was healthy enough to play 150-155 games, that is.

In fact, you can argue the Royals had to take on a contract that was a little steep for them (once again, historically) because they've learned DeJesus is NOT the answer at the position, and neither is Joey Gathright.

Edited by caulfield12

This is a very interesting case for the Royals.

I'm not sure if they will or won't trade DeJesus. I guess it all depends on their plans for Guillen, Teahan, Butler, and Maier.

With that being said, I'd love for us to get DeJesus.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Frank the Tank 35 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)

Teahen has already been pushed out of the picture by Crisp, Guillen, and DeJesus.

Moustakas isn't close to ready.

Gathright is a 4th OF at best.

Gordon has no challengers at 3B.

Shealy is on the outside looking in and probably doesn't have a whole lot of trade value.

Jacobs, Kila, and Butler are really the ones fighting for 2 spots.

Dealing Teahen and Shealy might get them a couple parts, but nothing that is all that significant on the surface. Actually, a Cubs deal based around Ronny Cedeno for Teahen might work very well for both clubs. The Royals could then move Aviles to 2B.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
Teahen has already been pushed out of the picture by Crisp, Guillen, and DeJesus.

Moustakas isn't close to ready.

Gathright is a 4th OF at best.

Gordon has no challengers at 3B.

Shealy is on the outside looking in and probably doesn't have a whole lot of trade value.

Jacobs, Kila, and Butler are really the ones fighting for 2 spots.

Dealing Teahen and Shealy might get them a couple parts, but nothing that is all that significant on the surface. Actually, a Cubs deal based around Ronny Cedeno for Teahen might work very well for both clubs. The Royals could then move Aviles to 2B.

I think the Royals are planning on having Callaspo be their 2B. They could use some depth though as I think Aviles isn't all that great.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Dan @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
Does anything the Cubs do make sense? They signed Dempster for 52mil for cryin out loud.

Yeah, but we're paying Javy $23 million for two seasons. That's only a difference of only $1.5 million per season.

I think I'd rather have Dempster's contract if I could exchange it for Javy's straight up as of today. I wouldn't think twice if it was 3 years intead of 4, but that obviously increases the risk to the Cubs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
Yeah, but we're paying Javy $23 million for two seasons. That's only a difference of only $1.5 million per season.

I think I'd rather have Dempster's contract if I could exchange it for Javy's straight up as of today. I wouldn't think twice if it was 3 years intead of 4, but that obviously increases the risk to the Cubs.

There is absolutely no way I take Dempster's contract over Javy's.

Javy has thrown 198+ innings in 9 straight seasons, he's never been a terrible pitcher (though he has been a very mediocre pitcher), and he's the same age as Dempster without the stress from going to starter to reliever to starter.

Oh yeah, and his contract is half of what Dempster's is.

I'd much rather have Javy than Dempster...easily.

While Mark Teahen is a player of interest for the Cubs, they certainly won't be trading Mike Fontenot and Sean Marshall for him. The Cubs don't consider Teahen the middle of the order bat they require.

Royals outfielder David DeJesus also interests the Cubs, but the source has the impression Dayton Moore would have to be overwhelmed to trade him. There seems a good chance DeJesus stays put this winter.

The Cubs aren't keen on bringing Jim Edmonds back for 2009.

There are no perfect fits for the right field vacancy, and the Cubs are willing to sacrifice some defense to add that middle of the order lefthanded hitter.

The Cubs are hoping a market forms for Jason Marquis, and are willing to eat salary "within reason." They would be content with Marquis as their fifth starter if nothing surfaces. I couldn't get any specifics, but the Cubs do feel that they have reasonable options to clear payroll other than trading Marquis.

Teams around baseball are wary of certain Type A/B free agents accepting offers of arbitration. Expect the Cubs to figure out where Kerry Wood stands before deciding whether to offer.

from mlbtraderumors.com

Edited by caulfield12