Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

chunk23

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
KW is the man. Everyone complained that he wasn't getting the team any younger or that we hat a pitiful farm system. Look at the young core we have now...

Quentin

Beckham

Alexei

Fields

Danks

Floyd

Viciedo

Poreda

Richard

Getz/Nix

Don't forget Jordan Danks, Bobby Jenks and "Young" Matt Thornton. Not young, but it feels like that because of how long he was germinating in the minors and underachieving. Swisher would have fit the profile too, but was never a good FIT for the White Sox. So throw Betemit at 27 into the mix as well. Not bad. And even Brian Anderson. It's pretty remarkable that we apparently have only had to weather one really down season, and that was 50% due to injuries and not rebuilding per se.

Edited by caulfield12

Viciedo is 19? Is that the truthful age? If he's older already maybe he'll pull a Lexi and rule in spring training and make the team.

Would be nice to start Fields and see if competition pushes him to hit from the start.

If this Viciedo is as good as Lexi ... wow, the future on the left side of the infield appears bright.

Edited by greg775

I'm really excited. I really am ethnically impaired and need help with the proper pronunciation of Dayan Viciedo. Nice Move KW! Have a cigar. Then how about this plan? This is not a far fetched pipe dream. Money saved from trading Dye buys Furcal. Talent received from Dye trade helps acquire Taveras. Alexei is flexible enough to find another position when Beckham is ready. I love KW offseason.

Taveras LF

Furcal SS

TCQ RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Alexei 2B

AJ C

Fields/Benemit platoon 3B

Anderson CF (I don't care if he hits 220 as long as he plays great D)

Bench

Wise or Player yet to be acquired

Getz or Nix

Armstrong

Benemit/Fields

More Speed and D and the money should work. Potential 100 SB combined from 1-2 and 110 HR from 3-4-5 would be a dynamic and explosive offense.

Danks AA

Viciedo AA

Beckham AA

Let's just make sure he gets on a diet program fast. With his new contract, he should be hitting up the gym daily and be working with a nutritionist. I really hope he turns out like Miggy C. Wow, could you imagine if he turns out to be the truth, him, CQ and Beckham as 2-3-4, wow. I am just very excited where this organization is going. By 2011 (yes very far, but we could look like this):

CF-Danks (GG, .280, 12-15 HRs with 20-30 SBs)

2b-Beckham (.300, 25 HR)

LF-CQ (.300, 40 HR, 100 RBIs)

3B-Viciedo (.280, 30 HR, 100 RBIs as a 23-year old)

SS-Alexei (.300, 25 HR, 90-100 RBI)

1b-Allen (.265, 25-35 HR)

DH-Fields (.265, 20-25 HR) *He and Allen could be switched

RF-Shelby (.280, 15-20 HR, 30 SB)

C-Armstrong (.250, 15 HR, GG or close to it defense)

And by then, we will probably have signed another Cuban or two. I am just very excited to see where this organization is headed. That order has some serious power with lots of high OBP guys and guys who are above average speed wise for their positions minus CQ, but he still runs fine. There are no guys there with 50 SB potential likely, but Danks and Shelby could certainly hit 30. Alexei, Beckham and CQ could be 15+ guys and Allen/Fields could chip in 10 ish. I truly believe Brandon Allen is the most underrated Sox prospect — at least on the Soxtalk, he has the potential to be Ryan Howard. Probably won't reach 50 HR like him, but in his prime, 40 HR is something he certainly could hit.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Even if the kid turns out to be a bust (I don't think he will), it will have been more than worth the risk. This kid's upside is mammoth. I'm extremely pleased with the direction this team is heading. Save for 2006, I don't think I've ever been as excited for spring training as I am going into next year. Kudos to KW!

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
Let's just make sure he gets on a diet program fast. With his new contract, he should be hitting up the gym daily and be working with a nutritionist. I really hope he turns out like Miggy C. Wow, could you imagine if he turns out to be the truth, him, CQ and Beckham as 2-3-4, wow. I am just very excited where this organization is going. By 2011 (yes very far, but we could look like this):

CF-Danks (GG, .280, 12-15 HRs with 20-30 SBs)

2b-Beckham (.300, 25 HR)

LF-CQ (.300, 40 HR, 100 RBIs)

3B-Viciedo (.280, 30 HR, 100 RBIs as a 23-year old)

SS-Alexei (.300, 25 HR, 90-100 RBI)

1b-Allen (.265, 25-35 HR)

DH-Fields (.265, 20-25 HR) *He and Allen could be switched

RF-Shelby (.280, 15-20 HR, 30 SB)

C-Armstrong (.250, 15 HR, GG or close to it defense)

And by then, we will probably have signed another Cuban or two. I am just very excited to see where this organization is headed. That order has some serious power with lots of high OBP guys and guys who are above average speed wise for their positions minus CQ, but he still runs fine. There are no guys there with 50 SB potential likely, but Danks and Shelby could certainly hit 30. Alexei, Beckham and CQ could be 15+ guys and Allen/Fields could chip in 10 ish. I truly believe Brandon Allen is the most underrated Sox prospect — at least on the Soxtalk, he has the potential to be Ryan Howard. Probably won't reach 50 HR like him, but in his prime, 40 HR is something he certainly could hit.

With the plodders we've kept thus far, I don't know if that's very realistic, be it by guys we keep or guys we obtain between now and then. The course it appears we're steering in is comforting, however. Also don't know about signing another Cuban. Not even taking into account whether or not one or two more high profile Cubans defect in the next two years- if Viciedo works out it will open eyes and wallets. With Duque, Count, Alexei, and now Viciedo, the Sox have been pretty inviting to the Cubans. Yanks/Red Sox/Cubs money would probably trump such goodwill. This is part of the reason I'm glad we got Ramirez and Viciedo- might not be as easy from now on.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

Agree that the future looks encouraging. Of course, that can all change in the blink of an eye if we suffer one or two injuries to our starting rotation. Then we're going to be really scrambling and making deals of desperation, which is not KW's forte at all.

I don't see Shelby and Armstrong as projected starters at the big league level quite yet...but I'm willing to have my mind changed on that subject.

Go back to 2000/01. We were the #1 organization in all of baseball in terms of prospects. Buehrle wasn't even that highly touted. We had Crede and Rowand just emerging. Along with Buehrle, Kip Wells, Jon Rauch, Jon Garland, Matt Ginter, Lorenzo Barcelo, Aaron Myette, Jason Stumm, Danny Wright, Josh Fogg (he struggled just to make it at that time to #10 prospect), Brian West, Matt Guerrier, Corwin Malone. IT LOOKED, at the time, like a Braves-like dynasty with "waves and waves" of pitching. Almost none of it ever materialized, for various reasons. Borchard flamed out. Kip Wells regressed and underachieved. Mostly injuries doomed these guys, but also non-performance, too.

That said...everything feels encouraging, if we can sign a band-aid fifth starter as insurance for Richard/Poreda and deal with CF and possibly find a 2B, too. With Betemit/Fields/Viciedo and Nix/Getz/Betemit, we at least have "decent" options at 3B and 2B. But the big question remains CF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
Don't understand the bolded part at all.

I agree. I don't get all the Josh Fields hate. Last year at this time,he was the next big thing to hit Chicago. Now,he's trade fodder. I think he'll have a very nice year. Last year he was supposedly very limited because of injury and noticeably heavier. Fields will be the opening day 3b. He would've been last year if Crede wasn't around. If Viciedo is on the team next year,i think he will be in RF after Dye gets moved.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
YAY!!!!!!

YAAAAAAY!!!!!!

This makes me so happy!!!!!

Take that Yankees, you dumb motherf***ing cocksuckers!!! Yeah, bet you still think that Loaiza for Contreras deal was a steal, huh??? Try Loaiza for Contreras, El Duque, Alexei, and Viciedo!!! It's all thanks to that one damn f***ing awesome deal!!! So f*** you Yanks, Kenny Williams OWNS your b**** asses!!!

And really, I remember the reaction around Soxtalk to the Contreras trade. Pretty much all of the site hated Contreras because he was wild and "uncoachable" as determined by the Yankees. Its amazing how something this simple led to pretty much the entire direction of the franchise being changed.

If we don't trade for Contreras and sit on Loaiza, we probably don't make the playoffs in 2005, let alone winning it all. And we don't laydown the goodwill with Torres that leads to him thinking both Alexei and now Viciedo would thrive in this enviornment.

What would the White Sox look like if the initial deal had never been done? Scary thought.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
I agree. I don't get all the Josh Fields hate. Last year at this time,he was the next big thing to hit Chicago. Now,he's trade fodder. I think he'll have a very nice year. Last year he was supposedly very limited because of injury and noticeably heavier. Fields will be the opening day 3b. He would've been last year if Crede wasn't around. If Viciedo is on the team next year,i think he will be in RF after Dye gets moved.

Fields needs to fix the hitch in his swing which causes him to be slow on fastballs.

Hawk and Ed Farmer both mentioned it last year, so hopefully Walker does as well and can fix it, right?

Yeah.

I'm not holding my breath, either.