Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

chunk23

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
So is Viciedo our Liriano Flash? :D

Haha. I've really lost all my talking points on Soxtalk. Liriano isn't even Liriano, we've recognized problems within the minor league system (Wilder, poor drafting philosophy), and if this signing is any indication we hold a significant advantage over other major league clubs in atleast one Latin American country.

I'm sure I'll find something else to annoy everyone with.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
Haha. I've really lost all my talking points on Soxtalk. Liriano isn't even Liriano, we've recognized problems within the minor league system (Wilder, poor drafting philosophy), and if this signing is any indication we hold a significant advantage over other major league clubs in atleast one Latin American country.

I'm sure I'll find something else to annoy everyone with.

I think at least now compared to a few seasons ago, KW and co. have recognised the need to get younger, and bring in impact guys both in the farm system and at the major league level.

If we hold a competitive advantage in Cuba compared to other teams, then let's exploit it the most we can.

Hopefully, our Latin America operations can improve based on what we're doin in Cuba and the impact that Ramirez and Viciedo will have.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
So if Alexei is the Cuban Missle, is Dayan the Cuban Nuke? :D

Let me suggest a nickname "The Big Cohiba".

BTW, it was Ozzie, not Hawk, that came up with "Cuban Missile", correct?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 20, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
Viciedo is 19? Is that the truthful age? If he's older already maybe he'll pull a Lexi and rule in spring training and make the team.

Would be nice to start Fields and see if competition pushes him to hit from the start.

If this Viciedo is as good as Lexi ... wow, the future on the left side of the infield appears bright.

He is 19. Alexei is a better player and also a more complete player. Alexei has more velocity. Alexei is in his prime years (25-30). This kid has the youth and quick hands. I think he may impress in ST but you never know. There is only one month. I like him to get some AB in any winter league to get in game shape before going into ST. He can go back to the D.R. or even Puerto Rico. Though I prefer Puerto Rico just in case he can not enter the USA for any reason from the D.R. Cubans have to be very carefull with their immigration status.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
Cubano, what can you tell us about these guys again?

Both defected in Canada this year while with the cuban junior team. Both used to play for the Havana Cowboys. This team is from Havana not from Havana City (capital) where Industriales Lions and Metropolitan Warriors play.

Arguelles is a 90 + MPH pitcher with slider and forkball or curve ball. I have to see my videos to see him again. He is tall and has long arms.

Iglesias is a SS/2B with excellent hands and a contact hitter.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
Both defected in Canada this year while with the cuban junior team. Both used to play for the Havana Cowboys. This team is from Havana not from Havana City (capital) where Industriales Lions and Metropolitan Warriors play.

Arguelles is a 90 + MPH pitcher with slider and forkball or curve ball. I have to see my videos to see him again. He is tall and has long arms.

Iglesias is a SS/2B with excellent hands and a contact hitter.

Hey Cubano,

I really enjoy and appreciate the insight you bring. Thanks for posting here!

I hope we can make a loyal White Sox fan out of you! :)

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Hey Cubano,

I really enjoy and appreciate the insight you bring. Thanks for posting here!

I hope we can make a loyal White Sox fan out of you! :)

We're stealing all of their players, I'm sure the Sox aren't very well liked there...

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
We're stealing all of their players, I'm sure the Sox aren't very well liked there...

Cubano lives in America, if I'm not mistaken.

Besides, from what I've heard, most Cubans hate Cuba (Cuba as in the government and such, not the land and citizens who live there).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
Cubano lives in America, if I'm not mistaken.

Besides, from what I've heard, most Cubans hate Cuba (Cuba as in the government and such, not the land and citizens who live there).

I am a proud Cuban. I always be a Cuban first. Castro does not deter the love of my country. I wish most of the Cuban citizens can have 1/3 of what I have. I wish they can have freedom. I will be always grateful for the USA and its generosity in accepting me here. My daughter was born here. She is an American. I emphasize to her she is an American first and she should be proud of her country.

I cheer for the Cuban team. I will be picking on you during the WBC # 2. I will be fighting the Mexican-Americans in here as well. Cuba will play México in March. I cheer for the players. I am 100 % sure that if you ask them privately, they will tell you the following:

I want to play in MLB.

Cubans follow MLB through Miami stations, friends, etc.

When Gerardo Machado and Fulgencio Batista ran the country as right wing dictators, Cubans rooted for their athletes too. Why should not root for them now?

I hate the Nitwits in power. I love my country. Many Cubans can not stop talking or thinking about Cuba.

I live one hour from Washington D.C.. I work in Maryland. I moved out of Maryland. Too much traffic and too many people.

Edited by Cubano

The Sun-Times first reported the Sox as front-runners in the derby for Viciedo. The next day, the Chicago Tribune ran a blurb suggesting Viciedo was out of shape and overly hyped.

That was based on hearsay. And there has been much concerning Viciedo, who never has played on Cuba's national team, though he was on the provisional 60-man roster in 2006 but was cut before the World Baseball Classic.

Did anybody see the little pissing match in the media. Gotta love it. This was from DeLuca's article in the SunTimes. Good article by the way on Viciedo up on their Website.

p.s. Cubano, love your posts and your attitude. You are da man.

He can play third base, first base, shortstop and used to be a pitcher with a 90 mph fastball.

The Sox see only a third baseman for now.

All 30 teams took a hard look at Viciedo during tryouts he held this month in the Dominican Republic, including one at the Sox' facility there. The Yankees, Boston Red Sox and Houston Astros joined the White Sox in showing the most interest. DeLuca

The other funny thing was DeLuca is consistently forecasting Fields and Vazquez being gone before ST. We shall see.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Nov 21, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
I am a proud Cuban. I always be a Cuban first. Castro does not deter the love of my country. I wish most of the Cuban citizens can have 1/3 of what I have. I wish they can have freedom. I will be always grateful for the USA and its generosity in accepting me here. My daughter was born here. She is an American. I emphasize to her she is an American first and she should be proud of her country.

I cheer for the Cuban team. I will be picking on you during the WBC # 2. I will be fighting the Mexican-Americans in here as well. Cuba will play México in March. I cheer for the players. I am 100 % sure that if you ask them privately, they will tell you the following:

I want to play in MLB.

Cubans follow MLB through Miami stations, friends, etc.

When Gerardo Machado and Fulgencio Batista ran the country as right wing dictators, Cubans rooted for their athletes too. Why should not root for them now?

I hate the Nitwits in power. I love my country. Many Cubans can not stop talking or thinking about Cuba.

I live one hour from Washington D.C.. I work in Maryland. I moved out of Maryland. Too much traffic and too many people.

That's pretty much what I thought. You love your country, but you hate the people in charge. Who wouldn't. It is ridiculous how they take away people's freedoms. We can only hope one day that the communist party in Cuba somehow gets over-thrown.

Ummm...without Contreras, we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs in 2005, let alone won the World Series. That alone is a reason to appreciate him.

He actually pitched pretty well last season until he became hurt and tried to pitch through it without telling Ozzie and KW. He's a bull and a strong competitor. I'll just cross my fingers he can make some positive contributions to the ballclub next year, whether as the fifth in mid to late season or out of the bullpen, a la El Duque in 2005.

http://www.670thescore.com/topic/play_wind...audioId=3118084

Fairly interesting interview with Cuban baseball "expert" on the Score. Nothing we haven't heard so far about the kid...I guess the news, if any, is that his defense is "adequate" at 3B but I'd take that with a grain of salt because Bjarkman has seen him play maybe a dozen times in person.

That said, we couldn't really expect Ventura/Crede over there at his size and age...let's see how he does this spring. Apparently, it's going to take something like 1-2 weeks for him to get his visa to fly to Chicago or Miami from the Dominican Republic. Hopefully he won't have any visa problems in the spring, because he needs as much time in Glendale as possible.

Edited by caulfield12

Does Viciedo look out of shape to you?

hight 1.83 meters = 6 feet

weight 82 kilos = 202 pounds

Here is a recent picture:

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/deportes/beis...ory/326594.html

Alex Rodriguez weight 225.

Mike Loweel weight 210.

Evan Longoria weight 210.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
looks like there's a lot of muscle on him..

Cuban esteroids!!!

Sugar Water and Guarapo

I am just joking here guys.

Here you go: Cuban Son: what it is called wrongly Salsa.

This is a much better version of Guarapo, Pimienta y Sal: Guarapo, Pepper and Salt.

I am not a free agent anymore. :lolhitting

This time in blue:

This time in green:

I hope when Viciedo comes to hit in Chicago this is the song that introduce him. This is a Cuban classic.

Edited by Cubano

Ozzie's response to being asked about Viciedo...

What do you make of 19-year-old Viciedo, a power-hitting third baseman? Could he join Cuban shortstop Alexei Ramirez?

I'm going to tell the fans and media: Don't expect this kid to play the first year like "the Missile" did. He's supposed to be a good player. We're going see in spring training.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2774756.story

That's pretty much what most of us figured.