Sox sign Dayan Viciedo

chunk23

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Hey, Scott, I just wanted to say that I couldn't be happier with the signing of Dayan Viciedo. He seems like a player that can help us win, but my question is, when do you think he'll actually make an impact on the White Sox? Is there any chance we'll see him come up this year?

-- Mike, Crystal Lake, Ill.

If the 2009 season were to start tomorrow -- and let me add that the April weather in Chicago probably will be the same as it is at Thanksgiving -- then Josh Fields would be the team's starting third baseman. I still don't believe Viciedo will leave Spring Training with the White Sox, though he certainly will be given every opportunity to make the team. If Viciedo is big league ready -- and it should be added that he has not officially signed yet -- the White Sox most likely won't hesitate to bring him with them from Glendale, Ariz.

Take Aaron Poreda's situation, as an example. Ken Williams said at the General Managers Meetings how he didn't have the left-hander on his original 2009 roster, but watching the hard thrower's progress in the Arizona Fall League helped change his mind. The White Sox certainly are flexible in regard to giving young talent a chance.

Nonetheless, Fields will have the third-base job, barring some sort of major, unforeseen trade on the horizon, and I believe a healthy Fields will have an outstanding bounce-back season. Guillen expressed a great deal of confidence in Fields when I talked to him over the weekend, and I think that's an important detail in the equation.

I find it interesting as to how many fans already have anointed Viciedo as the next Rookie of the Year/Most Valuable Player all rolled into one, without seeing him play one inning. From all the reports I've heard, he's going to be an outstanding player for many years to come. But he needs a chance to find his way, much like Alexei Ramirez did in April last year, and that might include a month or two in the Minors.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cubano @ Nov 22, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
Does Viciedo look out of shape to you?

hight 1.83 meters = 6 feet

weight 82 kilos = 202 pounds

Here is a recent picture:

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/deportes/beis...ory/326594.html

Alex Rodriguez weight 225.

Mike Loweel weight 210.

Evan Longoria weight 210.

Looks like Torres could spend some time on a treadmill though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Something please happen soon. This site is incredibly boring.

Arbitration news coming soon. Winter meetings are the week after next. In the end the lineup will be...

Tavares

Furcal

TCQ

Thome

Konerko

Alexei

AJ

Fields/Benemit platoon

Anderson

Yea, I'd settle for some new rumors that might actually have a source.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
Arbitration news coming soon. Winter meetings are the week after next. In the end the lineup will be...

Tavares

Furcal

TCQ

Thome

Konerko

Alexei

AJ

Fields/Benemit platoon

Anderson

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)

Tavares

Furcal

TCQ

Thome

Konerko

Alexei

AJ

Fields/Benemit platoon

Anderson

Betemit.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)

Tavares

Furcal

TCQ

Thome

Konerko

Alexei

AJ

Fields/Benemit platoon

Anderson

Furcal isn't coming here. Why would an aging shortstop who has never played in the AL want to switch to a tougher league where he hasn't faced the pitchers? Plus, if things go right for the Sox, he'd be blocking Beckham or Alexei for years. So why would the Sox want him?

I know why he makes sense for this season, but he'll want like 4 years.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
Just start arguing about Willy Taveras.. it makes things exponentially more hilarious and entertaining.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2008 -> 08:20 AM)
With contributions like that I can't see why :lolhitting

I just can't stand all of the idle discussion. It seems like there's about 10 rumors, with just one source for each one. It takes me about two minutes to read all of the discussion that interests me in Pale Hose Talk.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
found this...he's definitely a big boy...love seein him go the other way like he did in that

Alexei looks really nice in a suit. Dayan is HUGE! :headbang

Edited by Cowch

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 08:12 PM)
I don't get it. Sure he has size, but it isn't as if he looks horribly fat. Of course for being 19 he's huge but just make sure he's on the proper conditioning program and that size could be an asset.

From what I've seen, he has a very Frank Thomas-like build.