"Bargain" Free Agents....

caulfield12

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=3725295

Interesting article...some names we might be taking a look at include:

LHP Randy Johnson

SS/2B/UTIL Felipe Lopez (Betemit's presence would seem to prevent a move, not to mention Beckham)

SS (2B?) Omar Vizquel

OF Juan Rivera (someone mentioned him in the last couple of days)

OF Rocco Baldelli

OF Jim Edmonds

Mulder, Duchscherer, Pedro Martinez, Colon, Randy Johnson, Freddy Garcia...those are more typical KW "value" moves.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archi...astros_a_1.html (for JR and KW to read)

Finally, look to see if KW makes a play for Daniel Cabrera if the Orioles don't offer him salary arbitration before Dec. 12th.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 06:50 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=3725295

Interesting article...some names we might be taking a look at include:

LHP Randy Johnson

SS/2B/UTIL Felipe Lopez (Betemit's presence would seem to prevent a move, not to mention Beckham)

SS (2B?) Omar Vizquel

OF Juan Rivera (someone mentioned him in the last couple of days)

OF Rocco Baldelli

OF Jim Edmonds

Rivera's a decent pick if Dye gets traded, certainly not a longterm option. IF we're talking a decent one or two year contract then i wouldn't have a huge problem with it.

Obviusly some ineresting names on the "bargain" free agent list, but really how much of abargain are we talking about with Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson and some others with a decent past record in the bigs? I can't see Johnson or Martinez signing for bargain rates. Maybe with a lot of bonus money it would be worth it for the Sox to consider, but the egos of guys like that might make it real difficult if not impossible to entice them with a deal like that. I am sure they will want alot of money up front.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
Rivera's a decent pick if Dye gets traded, certainly not a longterm option. IF we're talking a decent one or two year contract then i wouldn't have a huge problem with it.

Exactly.

He has the athletic ability to be comeback player of the year if he gets a chance to play.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
I would really like to sign Jerry Hairston Jr. as a utility player. He has speed, athletic enough to play a lot of positions, seems like a good teammate and wouldn't cost much.

Do we need another utility player?

Some of these guys are not "Bargain" Free Agents". Some of these guys will command decent money and they are going down with their careers. I thought the ChiSox are trying to get rid of old players.

Edited by Cubano

Cuban, I really don't see us going "bargain" with the possible exception of the 5th starter's spot. I doubt it will be Randy Johnson, FWIW.

As far as OF, Baldelli and Edmonds are the only CFers on that list. Is it possible KW goes after either one OVER Anderson and Owens? I'm sure it's at least a 25% chance that he would go after one or the other, especially Baldelli.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)
Cuban, I really don't see us going "bargain" with the possible exception of the 5th starter's spot. I doubt it will be Randy Johnson, FWIW.

As far as OF, Baldelli and Edmonds are the only CFers on that list. Is it possible KW goes after either one OVER Anderson and Owens? I'm sure it's at least a 25% chance that he would go after one or the other, especially Baldelli.

Baldelli would have to be platooned, and given that he's a righty it would probably have to be with Owens. So, not an ideal scenario.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 08:33 PM)

KW would be fired if he acquired either of those two to start.

Milkman, he has made MANY worse moves than that, and has never been close to getting fired. Please save the hyperbole. When Paul Konerko was acquired, the concern throughout baseball was about his "degenerative hip condition," which is why the Dodgers were willing to part with him, as well as the Reds. Hasn't that turned out pretty well for the White Sox? Baldelli might turn out okay, just like Jon Lester did. I know, different medical situations/conditions. Second, any Baldelli signing would be for lower numbers than Uribe would make and would include lots of incentives. Low risk deal, high possible reward.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
Milkman, he has made MANY worse moves than that, and has never been close to getting fired. Please save the hyperbole. When Paul Konerko was acquired, the concern throughout baseball was about his "degenerative hip condition," which is why the Dodgers were willing to part with him, as well as the Reds. Hasn't that turned out pretty well for the White Sox? Baldelli might turn out okay, just like Jon Lester did. I know, different medical situations/conditions. Second, any Baldelli signing would be for lower numbers than Uribe would make and would include lots of incentives. Low risk deal, high possible reward.

He cannot be a starter, plain and simple. To be a starter, I'm guessing you have to start over 50% of the games, and he cannot do so.

It the ChiSox sign any of these mediocre players and Viciedo starts in the minors, let me know when Viciedo gets callup. I can not watch the Sox with Owens, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson, Edmonds, Taveras, etc.

The Sox really need one or two left hander hitters. Thome is Mr. Ponche (strikeout). A.J. is alright. How about Raul Ibañez? Move Quentin to RF. Then, KW would try to acquire a CF for Dye, Vazquez and anybody out except the untoachables.

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
Well, Dunn and Ibanez are two possible exceptions...both could play LF for one year, then replace Thome.

Viciedo SHOULD be in the picture at LF/RF or 3B by 2010 for sure, if not earlier.

Say no to Abreu, by the way.

Agree on all counts. Dunn would be my no. 1 target, Ibanez no. 2, Brian Giles no. 3, Juan Rivera no. 4, Griffey no. 5 for a power-hitting corner OF should Dye be traded.

It seems like Ibanez is garnering a lot of interest though so he might be the hardest to sign.

Both Dunn and Ibanez would cost a first round pick, so if Brian Giles would waive his NTC to come here he'd be my favorite of all the options. If we're able to assume Giles' whole salary (which is below-market but expensive to the cheapass Padres) and pick him up without dealing out Poreda, Beckham, Danks, or Fields then that would be a great deal.

Both Rivera and Griffey have a real chance of putting up nice seasons if they are healthy and they get regular playing time.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

I wish we'd signed Renteria. We went with Cabrera one year. Might as well have tried Renteria for the next and kept Lexi at 2B. Many assumed Swish would have a bounce back season next year; why not Renteria??? Who did renteria sign with?

Renteria is waiting on Furcal and Cabrera dominoes to fall first...probably the NL again.

Most likely, LA (they won't pay to bring back Furcal), SF, Minnesota is a possibility here, the Mets, the Cardinals...but probably an NL team.

If we signed Renteria, he wouldn't be hitting leadoff...so who would our leadoff hitter be again? Brian Anderson? Owens? Getz? Ramirez?

I would rank them in order (assuming KW won't pay for either Ibanez or Dunn)...

1. Rivera

2. Griffey (because he's used to the AL and is already familiar with our clubhouse and Ozzie/KW)

3. Giles

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Rivera is the only player on that list worth giving money to.

No way!

He has been a DH in front of Kendry Morales. He woulod not play ahead of Super Kendry in my team. I know what you are going to think guys but that is OK. This Cuban guy is taking Cubans. Many times I get frustrated with MLB. I still remember Rivera patroling CF for Venezuela in WBC # 1. This guy is not a CF.