"Bargain" Free Agents....

caulfield12

Cubano, I respect your opinion on quite a few things here.

However, Rivera, in that scenario, would be acquired to play LF, with Dye theoretically traded and Quentin shifting over to RF. Not for Rivera to play CF, not sure where that idea came from.

If Ibanez and Morales were both available for two year contracts, I think at least 25 of the GM's in baseball would pick him over Morales...extend it out to 3-4-5 years and it would be much closer. Even if Morales is the next John Olerud, he will always be criticized for not being a power hitter, unless he puts up a .330 average with 40+ doubles.

Let me ask you in a different way...who would you rather have for the next 5 years? Dayan Viciedo or Kendry Morales?

Edited by caulfield12

I thought Sheets was someone that Williams would roll the dice on as well. For a short period, I'd love it.

I still hope, and have this weird feeling that Manny Ramirez is at least considered by Williams, with a straight face and a BAC of .00. Not a bargain by any means, but wasn't he spouting off at one point about a 2 year high dollar contract? I know everyone seems to think that *this* is finally the rebuilding/getting young that was supposed to come every year so far though.

Similarly, Williams saying payroll was being lowered doesn't mean it's being lowered, or for that matter, not increasing. I'll believe what he says about any situation, just as I have in the past, when it happens.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Cubano @ Nov 30, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
No way!

He has been a DH in front of Kendry Morales. He woulod not play ahead of Super Kendry in my team. I know what you are going to think guys but that is OK. This Cuban guy is taking Cubans. Many times I get frustrated with MLB. I still remember Rivera patroling CF for Venezuela in WBC # 1. This guy is not a CF.

I guess I want to clarify that I am not in any way defending the Angels for their decisions on who to play. I'd sit GMJ's ass on the bench just as one example.

As far as Rivera goes as a player, during his last full season he hit .310/.362/.525 with 23 HR. Then he got injured and the Angels never put him back out there for a full season. If he is healthy he is very capable of having a good year. Obviously I wouldn't expect the same numbers he put up in 2006, mainly because he'll have to adjust to everyday playing again as well as a new ballpark, new teammates, a new hitting backdrop, new management, etc., but if he's healthy - and if his injuries haven't taken away his hitting ability which I wouldn't think they have - I'd expect a pretty productive mid-May and beyond.

If you like Kendry and think he's going to be good, then I'd go after him in a Paulie deal if that happens finally this year. He's a high contact guy with pretty good power so he could be undervalued. And I doubt the Angels ever play him anyway. They'll do to him what they regularly do with their better prospects, and that is hold on to them for far too long and then let them go for nothing instead of trading them as assets for other needs when they are blocked.

The White Sox should be one of the more interesting teams this winter, as they appear to be one contending team taking offers on some of their better players, including outfielder Jermaine Dye, closer Bobby Jenks and pitcher Javier Vazquez. Sox GM Ken Williams has historically been the most aggressive GM, and word is that he and manager Ozzie Guillen would like to make the team younger and faster.

The Mets are a team that could use all three of those Sox players. However, talks with the South Siders have been slow. While the White Sox presumably have some interest in the Mets' top four prospects -- outfielder Fernandez Martinez and pitchers Jon Niese, Bobby Parnell and Eddie Kunz -- teams that have dealt with the Mets say the team from Queens is clutching tightly to them, leading to speculation they are more likely to fill their needs via free agency. While Jenks and Dye would help any team, the Mets don't appear to covet Vazquez, an innings eater who is drawing interest from other National League clubs.

The Reds have shown an interest in Dye, and the report in WCKY in Cincinnati that a deal of hard-throwing pitching prospect Homer Bailey and another prospect for Dye was discussed has not been denied. Bailey's stock has to be down, but the Sox are one team that seems to be able to harness the talents of hard throwers (see Jenks and Matt Thornton). www.cnnsi.com