Vazquez & Logan Dealt to Braves

Sockin

By Tim Dierkes [November 26, 2008 at 7:58pm CST]

7:58pm: Kinzer told Joe Stiglich of the Contra Costa Times that the A's are "right at the top of the list." 7:05pm: Kinzer revealed to Yahoo's Tim Brown that the two unknown Furcal suitors "have to make some moves first." So think of teams with incumbent shortstops, like the Braves. Or perhaps a team that has to clear payroll like the Cubs. 4:25pm: Kinzer told Haft they'll have it down to two teams before Monday or Tuesday. The A's, Giants, and two other clubs are still in the mix for Furcal. This time, Kinzer told Haft he did talk to... Continue Reading

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
more infatuation with speedy grinder type players with below average power and on base abilities

though at least i think lillibridge does play some D

Below average On base abilities? His walk total dropped some as they pushed him up pretty quick it looks like over the last year, but in 06 he took 87 walks and put up a .420 OBP in their A ball levels.

Was he hurt last year? It looks like he only played about 1/2 a season.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
in boone maybe....but at worst vazquez is a guy who gives you 200 IP and 30 starts a year at league average ERA, with potential to exceed league average ERA...he may not be a #1 starter...but vazquez is a solid 3-4 starter and its gonna be tough to find that out of one of our young pitchers

Agreed. Unless we're able to luck out and get a few young guys to step up this year it's going to be a LONG YEAR out of our 4th and 5th starters. And I am sure at that point people would be begging to have Javy back.

I trust KW has some things in mind to shore up those spots, however, I hope it's not within the organization as I don't see us pulling another Danks/Floyd combo like we did last year. Let it be known I do trust Kenny though- he's got my respect so I am hoping he can pull off the same magic...

Rosenthal says that Tyler Flowers may be in the deal:

The White Sox will receive as many three players in return and also could part with left-handed reliever Boone Logan. Infielder Brent Lillibridge is expected to be in the deal along with a young starting pitcher and possibly Class A catcher Tyler Flowers. Left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes was among the pitchers under discussion, but is not in the trade, sources said.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
He's not.

Do you mean this as is Vazquez isnt enough for him, or you actually know the package? Im just curious if you know whos coming back, and what that big spending that you mentioned that would follow would be. :gosox3:

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)

The White Sox will receive as many three players in return and also could part with left-handed reliever Boone Logan. Infielder Brent Lillibridge is expected to be in the deal along with a young starting pitcher and possibly Class A catcher Tyler Flowers. Left-hander Jo-Jo Reyes was among the pitchers under discussion, but is not in the trade, sources said.

I would die with excitement if this were true. KW is the man! :headbang

One of the key components of the Adam LaRoche to Pittsburgh deal in early 2007 was shortstop Brent Lillibridge, who came over to the Braves along with Mike Gonzalez. Lillibridge, who had a decent shot of making the Braves as a utility player this spring, was one of the team's final cuts and will start the year in Richmond.

Lillibridge's instincts have always drawn raves and he's matured quickly. Many would argue he's Major League ready now. But for the foreseeable future he's blocked by Yunel Escobar, himself a newly appointed starter. Lillibridge managed a .400 OBP during two Class-A stops in 2006. In 2007 he hit 10 homers in 87 games at Triple-A Richmond and projects as a 15-20 HR guy in the bigs. He's got good, but not blazing speed. Yet in 309 minor league games he's swiped 105 bases, including 28 with an 85% success rate in Richmond. It's the instincts, man.

However, with Escobar's fantastic close to the 2007 season there was little doubt who the Braves starting shortstop would be going into 2008. Lillibridge had a shot to make the team as a utility player, and in early March was even given a surprise start at third by manager Bobby Cox despite not having played the position since the 2004 Cape Cod summer league. "He can play, man," said Cox after the game when questioned about the move. Lillibridge also saw time at second and in center (where he spent two seasons in college) during the spring.

The reason he didn't head north with the team this year was partly because he hit just .224 this spring (and led the team with 18 whiffs), but also because the team would like to get him regular at bats, something that wouldn't happen if he'd made the team as a bench player. At the very least a late season callup seems in order, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd get some starts in center should Mark Kotsay's back flare up.

You get the feeling Cox would like to find a place for Lillibridge. His name often surfaces in trade talks, but that probably has more to do with other GMs coveting him than any willingness to deal on the part of the Braves. Still, it's fun to think about what an "intangibles" kind of player like Lillibridge might fetch. He could end up being a key piece to the Braves getting a top player for the stretch run.

MLB Trade Rumors

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)
Below average On base abilities? His walk total dropped some as they pushed him up pretty quick it looks like over the last year, but in 06 he took 87 walks and put up a .420 OBP in their A ball levels.

Was he hurt last year? It looks like he only played about 1/2 a season.

ill tend to trust that his on base abilities are far closer to his performances at AA and AAA in 07 and 08 than his on base abilities as a 22 year old in A ball in 2006

2007: 40 BB in 525 ABs

2008: 36 BB in 435 ABs

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:23 PM)

that would be phenomenal, flowers is a real talent and we are so thin at catcher

Mike (San Diego): Hey Keith, who is this Tyler Flowers guy? He is raking in the AFL.

SportsNation Keith Law: Catcher, OK behind the plate, great eye/plate discipline, average power. Bat speed's a little slow so I'm not sure he's a big average hitter, but at that position? He's a top 100 prospect, or sure. And I bet that the Padres are all over him.

Jonathan (Tampa, FL): How good is Tyler Flowers? Is he as good as his AFL stats say? 10 HR and close to a .400 AVG?

SportsNation Keith Law: He's not a .400/.500/.650 guy in the majors. Of this I am certain. But he's a pretty good prospect - can catch, not great back there, gets on base, has big raw power. At least a solid average regular.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I've been waiting for something, ha.

Anyone have any details on Lillibridge?

6. Brent Lillibridge, ss Born: Sept. 18, 1983 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 5-11 • Wt: 180

Drafted: Washington, 2005 (4th round) • Signed by: Greg Hopkins (Pirates)

Brent LillibridgeBackground: Acquired from Pittsburgh in the deal that sent Adam LaRoche to the Pirates last offseason, Lillibridge served as a catalyst on Richmond's International League championship club. He led the system with 42 steals and posted a hit in each of his nine playoff games. R-Braves manager Dave Brundage said Lillibridge improved more over the course of the season than any player on his club.

Strengths: Lillibridge has the tools to hit leadoff, plus the range and arm strength to play shortstop in the major leagues. His hands work well at the plate and he's adept at using the entire field. He also drives the ball well for a player his size. With above-average speed and savvy, he has succeeded in 79 percent of his pro steal attempts.

Weaknesses: Lillibridge thinks of himself as a middle-of-the-lineup hitter too often. He needs to reduce his strikeouts by shortening his swing and controlling the zone better. He also needs to upgrade his bunting ability and become more of a small-ball player. He doesn't always deal with failure well, though he's doing better as he matures.

The Future: Once Lillibridge plays to his strengths he'll be ready to contribute at the major league level. He'll open 2008 in Triple-A.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
If we got Mike Gonzalez, or even Rafael Soriano, as part of the deal, I'd be a happy man. I'd prefer Gonzalez, but he's a bigger injury risk. Also, if we got Gonzalez, that could/would make Jenks more expandable.

He doesn't have much more room for expansion!

Ha, I'm a few pages behind and hope I'm not late on this joke.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! I've been waiting for something, ha.

Anyone have any details on Lillibridge?

Some of us are doing the googling of him now. What would you like to know? He was solid in the Pittsburgh organization, traded in the Laroche deal to the Braves, he struggled some with the Braves as they moved him up pretty quick, and last year was pretty rough for him althoguh I'm trying to find out if he was hurt for part of the year.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
Do you mean this as is Vazquez isnt enough for him, or you actually know the package? Im just curious if you know whos coming back, and what that big spending that you mentioned that would follow would be. :gosox3:

Because they arent trading him for Javy.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Right-handed pitcher Javier Vazquez has been told he's headed from the Chicago White Sox to the Atlanta Braves in a deal which is likely to be finalized on Wednesday.

Vazquez is flying to Atlanta on Wednesday morning for a physical.

A baseball source told ESPN's Peter Gammons that the deal will include four other players, including reliever Boone Logan, who would also go from the White Sox to the Braves.

Among the players expected to go from Atlanta to the Chicago organization are Jo-Jo Reyes, Brett Lillibridge and another top prospect.

Vazquez, 32, was 12-16 last season for the White Sox with a 4.67 ERA in 33 starts. He struck out 200 batters in 208 1/3 innings.

Logan, a left-handed reliever, was 4-4 with a 5.70 ERA out of the White Sox bullpen last year. He had a 2-3 record in 55 appearances.

Reyes was 3-11 with a 5.81 ERA last season for the Braves. He started 22 games.

Lillibridge appeared in 90 games at Triple-A Richmond in the Braves organization. He hit .220 with four home runs and 39 RBIs.

Was he hurt? That sounds terrible.

Also, this is a good deal for both Vazquez and Logan. It never hurts to pitch for the Braves. Vazquez is now back in the NL and much, much closer to Puerto Rico.

I am so glad Javy is gone. If the Braves contend he will suck. If they have a year like 2008, he may shine. I'm sure Texsox will think nothing of it, but of the 3 guys who went home instead of sticking around after not making the playoff roster if Logan is in this deal, only Broadway is left on the roster,and I don't think he's long for the White Sox.

Mike (San Diego): Hey Keith, who is this Tyler Flowers guy? He is raking in the AFL.

SportsNation Keith Law: Catcher, OK behind the plate, great eye/plate discipline, average power. Bat speed's a little slow so I'm not sure he's a big average hitter, but at that position? He's a top 100 prospect, or sure. And I bet that the Padres are all over him.

Ryne Sandberg says he has a very short swing and big-time power

Odd how two people see a player so differently

How much will Tyler Flowers' strong Arizona Fall League showing move him up in Baseball America's Braves rankings? He hit .387 and led the AFL with 12 homers and a .975 slugging percentage. He has a large frame and looks like he could make a seamless transition to first base. What are the odds that he eventually makes that move, given that Atlanta already has Brian McCann at catcher?

Charles Caswell

Knoxville

Unlike baseball's major awards, our prospect ratings aren't finalized at the end of the regular season. We do take winter ball and other offseason happenings into account, though be careful not to read too much into AFL stats. Last fall's breakout hitter and slugging percentage leader was the Cubs' Sam Fuld, who looks like an extra outfielder and not a regular, let alone a star.

That's not the case with Flowers, of course. His power and strike-zone discipline were evident when he was hitting .288/.427/.494 at high Class A Myrtle Beach, and he already was one of Atlanta's best prospects, so his AFL performance won't rocket him up our list.

Flowers still has a lot of work to do in all facets of catching, and he may never be McCann's equal as a defender. You never know how things will play out, so for now the Braves will keep him behind the plate, where he has the most value. If McCann remains entrenched once Flowers is ready for the majors, Flowers then could move to first base, though Casey Kotchman could provide an obstacle there. It would be a stretch to play Flowers on an outfield corner.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
I am so glad Javy is gone. If the Braves contend he will suck. If they have a year like 2008, he may shine. I'm sure Texsox will think nothing of it, but of the 3 guys who went home instead of sticking around after not making the playoff roster if Logan is in this deal, only Broadway is left on the roster,and I don't think he's long for the White Sox.

I think you'll see Broadway dealt in the next two weeks, most likely for a light hitting CF'er