Call Your Crazy!!

Steve9347

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
Marquez, Betemit,Nunez,Gimore, Rodriquez, Flowers Lillbridge, Nix, Viciedo. Van Bendenschoten. Am I missing somebody? That's not nobody, my friend.

He was talking about 2009 Major League talent, I'm sure...and I only see one person on that list (Betemit)

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
Look at the past 5 seasons when Kenny has made serious moves:

2007 No moves (unless you count Erstad) finished basically last

2008 Dotel, Linebrink, Swisher, Cabrera won division

Wait, I'm confused. Didn't we get Danks and Floyd in 2007? Didn't we get CQ and Ramirez in 2008? I think these moves had a significant impact on our 2008 success moreso than the guys you named above. Maybe, you and I have different definitions of "significant" moves.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
Wait, I'm confused. Didn't we get Danks and Floyd in 2007? Didn't we get CQ and Ramirez in 2008? I think these moves had a significant impact on our 2008 success moreso than the guys you named above. Maybe, you and I have different definitions of "significant" moves.

What I mean is significant for that season only. Yes rookies will help us down the road, but they are unproven. Nobody can tell what they do at the major league level until they have played at major league level..

This team needs a makeover yes I agree. But we need some added veterans to go with these young guys. That's what made last year sweet. Quentin was a young guy added with really no proven eye catching stats and Kenny went and got a guy like Cabrera who had eye catching stats. Now Danks had an AWFUL 2007 season with us and so did Floyd in 2007. They bounced back rather nicely in 2008, but who guessed that after seeing what we saw in 2008?

Thunderbolt, please, get real. All of those guys are prospects.

The only players on that list that will probably help the Sox on the major league level in 2009 are Marquez, Betemit, and Viciedo. The rest are a at least 2 years away or fringe players that were just throw-ins in the trades.

Marquez: marginal rotation candidate, doesn't have a proven track record.

Betemit: Has the most major league experience and he's the only player I trust to help the major league team in 2009.

Nunez: will probably end up in triple-A where he'll fine-tune his craft. doesn't help in 2009.

Gilmore: will probably end up in single-A or double-A, won't help the major league club for at least 3 more seasons.

Rodriguez: same as Gilmore.

Flowers: will probably end up in double-A or triple-A, probably won't help major league club till 2010 or 2011.

Lillibridge: overrated prospect, has 80 or so at-bats in the majors, but I'd rather have a more proven player occupying his 25-man roster spot instead.

Nix: will probably end up in triple-A.

Viciedo: will probably end up in triple-A until he gets called up. I think Viciedo can help the 2009 Sox more than Betemit.

Van Bendenschoten: will end up somewhere in the minors and probably will end up being a flop.

also Jimenez: can't speculate too much besides guess that he'll end up in triple-a.

Honestly, we need to acquire one or two veterans that can help the major league club NOW. We can't put all our eggs in the basket on fringe prospects such as Lillibridge and Nix when we still have questionable guys like Fields, Anderson, Owens, and Getz on the 25-man roster. Pretty much most of the players we acquired in the Swisher/Vazquez deals are nothing more than players to replenish our farm system, nothing more. I'd rather flip a couple of them in a package for a vet.

Edited by SouthsideDon48

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
How do you know that?

You got anyone better to fill the 25th spot on the roster? The bench is shaping up to be Wise, Armstrong, Betemit, and one of Nix/Lillibridge.

And southsidedon:

So, i make the argument that we got some guys to help us this year, And you say,:"no, just 3." I never made a claim that all these guys would be on the team, i simply said that KW hasn't been sitting on his heels like everyone suggests.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
You got anyone better to fill the 25th spot on the roster? The bench is shaping up to be Wise, Armstrong, Betemit, and one of Nix/Lillibridge.

And southsidedon:

So, i make the argument that we got some guys to help us this year, And you say,:"no, just 3." I never made a claim that all these guys would be on the team, i simply said that KW hasn't been sitting on his heels like everyone suggests.

Gotcha. Sorry if I sounded harsh, I'm just feeling very discouraged at the thought that we might have a team full of young prospects next year rather than proven players. :(

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
He hit .280 last year with 40 SB's and an average (.330) OBP.

When you factor in salary and his left-fielderness, Owens >>> Pierre.

When you look entirely at baseball ability, track record, and accomplishments, Pierre >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Owens

However, just because Pierre >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Owens does not mean Pierre is any good. Owens is just really bad, like he's better than Joey Gathright, but he's worse than Emil Brown, and he's 1/10 the player Mark Teahen is, and Mark Teahen also sucks.

Basically Owens is better because he's easy to DFA and that's it.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
Gotcha. Sorry if I sounded harsh, I'm just feeling very discouraged at the thought that we might have a team full of young prospects next year rather than proven players. :(

What's that line: always darksest before the morning light? This isn't the 1st time the organization has gone through this, and usually we come out the better for it.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
He hit .280 last year with 40 SB's and an average (.330) OBP.

and he slugged a stellar .328, which added with his OBP, gives him a whopping .655 OPS.

The only way Juan Pierre is when he's hit .300+. His entire game depends entirely upon average, and going to one of the smaller parks in the majors probably won't help him increase that average.

Juan Pierre sucks major donkey balls. Fin.

Poreda + Egbert + Broadway to the Marlins for Hermida

Dye + Jenks + Getz to the dodgers for Kemp and McDonald

Furcal Signed for 3/36 with a 4th year option

S Furcal SS

L Hermida LF

R Kemp CF

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

R Ramirez 2B

L AJP C

R Fields 3B

MB L

GF R

JD L

JM R

CR L

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:00 AM)
Poreda + Egbert + Broadway to the Marlins for Hermida

Dye + Jenks + Getz to the dodgers for Kemp and McDonald

Furcal Signed for 3/36 with a 4th year option

S Furcal SS

L Hermida LF

R Kemp CF

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

R Ramirez 2B

L AJP C

R Fields 3B

MB L

GF R

JD L

JM R

CR L

I s*** myself when I saw that lineup... but then threw up when I saw the rotation.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
If Angels lose out on Texiera....

Jenks + Konerko + Brian Anderson for Figgins + Wilits + Weaver

I think they will and will be desperate for a 1st baseman! I still think Texiera ends up with Boston or New York, possibly Washington (where the hell did they get that money?) . I don't think that is enough to land all those guys, but I do believe a Jenks plus Konerko deal lands us at least Figgins and maybe Escobar/young prospect.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
If Angels lose out on Texiera....

Jenks + Konerko + Brian Anderson for Figgins + Wilits + Weaver

QUOTE (TheBigHurtShallRiseAgain @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
Konerko to LAA for Figgins

Holy s***!

Where have I heard that before?

Oh, right. This thread.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 4, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Konerko to Red Sox or Angels (loser of Teixeira signing) for a SP and a minor leaguer.