De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao

daa84

I stayed at the MGM Grand in Vegas last weekend and there was already a huge buzz and a boxing ring set up in the main lobby advertising the fight. Is anyone gonna watch, or has UFC completely killed boxing? I've never really been a huge fan of either one, but I watch big fights if I can, and since I was just at MGM I wouldn't mind watching this one.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a fan of boxing moreso than MMA. MMA just seems too brutal to enjoy in my case. With that said however, it is impossible to deny its place in the sporting world. It has effectively eclipsed boxing as the ring event of choice. What can the WBA do? Roll out an over the hill De La Hoya once again, and promote the crap out of it. How long has it been since we've seen a new icon break on to the boxing scene? Even Floyd Mayweather lacks the name recognition of the De La Hoyas and Trinidads of the world (much less the Tysons, Fraziers, and Alis).

Boxing is in a coma.

I miss Butterbean.

QUOTE (SmashROT @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
I've always been a fan of boxing moreso than MMA. MMA just seems too brutal to enjoy in my case. With that said however, it is impossible to deny its place in the sporting world. It has effectively eclipsed boxing as the ring event of choice. What can the WBA do? Roll out an over the hill De La Hoya once again, and promote the crap out of it. How long has it been since we've seen a new icon break on to the boxing scene? Even Floyd Mayweather lacks the name recognition of the De La Hoyas and Trinidads of the world (much less the Tysons, Fraziers, and Alis).

Boxing is in a coma.

I miss Butterbean.

Pretty Boy is essentially the most popular boxer of all-time. He needs to get out of retirement and save boxing.

I like watching boxing, but too many times the judging is skewed and often dirty. With MMA it's usually pretty obvious who won.

The multiples upon multiples of belts and guys being stripped for not fighting the right contender has killed boxing. It will never be back on the country's radar until the associations can agree on a "real" champion.

All that being said, no, I will unfortunately not be able to watch. My wife's Christmas party is tonight.

going to hang out at my friends now and there's some discussion of getting it, so we'll see. I've always watched boxing and usually you get the better fights (excitement wise) on HBO or SHO. I'm a little torn on this match, Pac-Man has never fought above 135 I believe and he's at 143 in this fight and Oscar is at 145 and hasn't fought at the 147 limit in about 7 years, so it sets up perfectly for ODLH to win then do another mega money match with Hatton, probably at a higher weight than Hatton is use to (147).

When I get a few minutes I'll poke around google and see if I can find an article I read over the last year or so about how MMA fans aren't really converted boxing fans, and they had some numbers to support it.

I watch both and enjoy both.

I'm gonna sound like a hater, but here it goes anyway.

As a guy who did some boxing when I was younger and as a fan of the sport, I cannot believe that no one has figured out how to beat Pacquiao.

The man has no jab and he doesn't put his punches together. He throws few combinations, or very few effective ones. What he has, is perhaps the best straight right hand in the sport right now, or maybe ever. He attacks early and keeps bouncing and moving FORWARD and putting all his weight behind every right hand shot. His opponents are always on the defensive, moving backward and taking that right hand bomb.

The only chance you have at beating him is to be the aggressor, by moving him back and not letting him set up with a steady jab in his face. By keeping his feet moving backward, you take away all the power in that right hand.

A fighter will never beat him, only a true, skilled boxer can. DeLaHoya was that guy.....8 years ago.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 02:37 AM)
I'm gonna sound like a hater, but here it goes anyway.

As a guy who did some boxing when I was younger and as a fan of the sport, I cannot believe that no one has figured out how to beat Pacquiao.

The man has no jab and he doesn't put his punches together. He throws few combinations, or very few effective ones. What he has, is perhaps the best straight right hand in the sport right now, or maybe ever. He attacks early and keeps bouncing and moving FORWARD and putting all his weight behind every right hand shot. His opponents are always on the defensive, moving backward and taking that right hand bomb.

The only chance you have at beating him is to be the aggressor, by moving him back and not letting him set up with a steady jab in his face. By keeping his feet moving backward, you take away all the power in that right hand.

A fighter will never beat him, only a true, skilled boxer can. DeLaHoya was that guy.....8 years ago.

Apparently you're not giving any credibility to Pacquiao's countering ability, he's a sickening counter puncher, especially when fighting slower guys

Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work when a guy who is as fast as MP is (arguably faster than PBF, due to his smaller frame) can counter pretty much anything, especially slower fighters

I don't think he'd stand a chance against Margarito because I don't think his power would be enough to phase Antonio (Let's face it, AM is a middle weight holding a welterweight title), when Cotto seemingly reconstructed AM's face and it was like there was a Cyborg underneath his outer shell, cosmetic damage and nothing else

I'd pay 200 bones to watch Pacquiao and Margarito face off though, even though (i think..) MP said he doesn't plan on going up to 160

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
going to hang out at my friends now and there's some discussion of getting it, so we'll see. I've always watched boxing and usually you get the better fights (excitement wise) on HBO or SHO. I'm a little torn on this match, Pac-Man has never fought above 135 I believe and he's at 143 in this fight and Oscar is at 145 and hasn't fought at the 147 limit in about 7 years, so it sets up perfectly for ODLH to win then do another mega money match with Hatton, probably at a higher weight than Hatton is use to (147).

When I get a few minutes I'll poke around google and see if I can find an article I read over the last year or so about how MMA fans aren't really converted boxing fans, and they had some numbers to support it.

I watch both and enjoy both.

Everyone had DLH winning this fight with no contest

It's almost laughable how badly Pac-man beat the old man up, it was at times grossly embarassing

MP was landing almost 70% of his power shots, lol

That has to be one of the most embarrassing ways a boxer has ever gone out. Oscar is old and way past his prime. I knew for sure there was a good chance he was going to get beat down, but not this badly. It's more than an embarrassment. The way he lost for some reason makes me think he'll come back for another beat down "to prove to himself he's better than his last fight".

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 05:09 AM)
Apparently you're not giving any credibility to Pacquiao's countering ability, he's a sickening counter puncher, especially when fighting slower guys

Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work when a guy who is as fast as MP is (arguably faster than PBF, due to his smaller frame) can counter pretty much anything, especially slower fighters

I don't think he'd stand a chance against Margarito because I don't think his power would be enough to phase Antonio (Let's face it, AM is a middle weight holding a welterweight title), when Cotto seemingly reconstructed AM's face and it was like there was a Cyborg underneath his outer shell, cosmetic damage and nothing else

I'd pay 200 bones to watch Pacquiao and Margarito face off though, even though (i think..) MP said he doesn't plan on going up to 160

A skilled boxer with some good corner advice will beat MP. He's beaten three great fighters at the tail end of their careers. Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and now DeLaHoya. Good fighter? Yes. Unbeatable? No way.

Manny was so dominant it was a joke. Oscar looked old and stiff, time to hang um up golden boy. I still love a good boxing match with the strategy and endurance etc. The sweet science can be just that, the UFC has none of that appeal for me it's just tuning in to see a beat down. Boxing is woefully down, but i still love a good skilled showdown. Watch the Marquez/Vazquez trilogy special on showtime just beautiful stuff.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Manny was so dominant it was a joke. Oscar looked old and stiff, time to hang um up golden boy. I still love a good boxing match with the strategy and endurance etc. The sweet science can be just that, the UFC has none of that appeal for me it's just tuning in to see a beat down. Boxing is woefully down, but i still love a good skilled showdown. Watch the Marquez/Vazquez trilogy special on showtime just beautiful stuff.

Yeah I enjoy UFC, but it's basically just waiting til your opponent lets his guard down for a millisecond. Then you either put him a sub hold or you catch him a clean punch that stuns him and then you pound on him repeatedly til the ref steps in. There is no slow, methodical tearing away at your opponent round after round. Not usually anyway.

Give me Roberto Duran, Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Alexis Arguello or Salvador Sanchez any day.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
Yeah I enjoy UFC, but it's basically just waiting til your opponent lets his guard down for a millisecond. Then you either put him a sub hold or you catch him a clean punch that stuns him and then you pound on him repeatedly til the ref steps in. There is no slow, methodical tearing away at your opponent round after round. Not usually anyway.

Give me Roberto Duran, Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Alexis Arguello or Salvador Sanchez any day.

You dont watch much MMA then. You not only have to be an extremely rounded fighter to excel, but you must be the master of several different ways of actually WINNING a fight. As far as slowly tearing away your opponent, you just havent had enough experience watching it to know when thats going on. For example, have you see a good ground game guy trying to chip away at a striker to get him to the ground? How about two experienced JJ guys on the ground advancing and defending techniques as well as trying to loosen up the opponent to be able to sink in a choke. There is much more strategy in GOOD MMA than in boxing. As far as round after round after round, these days, not a whole lot of people want to see a fight taken to the cards like boxing seems to do time after time.