Phil Rogers on Sox quest to find leadoff man

caulfield12

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can we possibly be in on Furcal if we don't know if OC will accept arbitration?

I mean, we COULD be a player there, but everything has been so public about his (Furcal's) viable options...how would it be possible for KW to stay totally under the radar?

Lots of conflicting stories, that he turned down a solid offer for 3/$39, but then rumors that the other teams were balking at adding a fourth year and that a deal offering 4 years for $35-40 million was about the best he could possibly do.

With Cabrera slated to make $9-11 million next season, I don't see how we're not at least waiting. As another Phil Rogers article that speculates about Cabrera's destination and competition amongst the remaining SS's for those teams, there aren't very many viable options left for OC. Maybe the Dodgers, maybe the A's, maybe the Twins. But do we see Minnesota signing anyone to a 2 year/$20 million contract as a FA? By the way, it also looks like the Twins are shopping Delmon Young, who would be a "cheaper" player most teams would probably prefer to one year (or maybe two) of Jermaine Dye for $23 million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 07:27 PM)
How can we possibly be in on Furcal if we don't know if OC will accept arbitration?

I mean, we COULD be a player there, but everything has been so public about his (Furcal's) viable options...how would it be possible for KW to stay totally under the radar?

Lots of conflicting stories, that he turned down a solid offer for 3/$39, but then rumors that the other teams were balking at adding a fourth year and that a deal offering 4 years for $35-40 million was about the best he could possibly do.

With Cabrera slated to make $9-11 million next season, I don't see how we're not at least waiting. As another Phil Rogers article that speculates about Cabrera's destination and competition amongst the remaining SS's for those teams, there aren't very many viable options left for OC. Maybe the Dodgers, maybe the A's, maybe the Twins. But do we see Minnesota signing anyone to a 2 year/$20 million contract as a FA? By the way, it also looks like the Twins are shopping Delmon Young, who would be a "cheaper" player most teams would probably prefer to one year (or maybe two) of Jermaine Dye for $23 million.

I still there is no way Cabrera accepts arbitration and I think Kenny knows.

QUOTE (Pasqua's Mailman @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
Doesn't Cabrera have until Sunday to decide whether to accept arbitration?

Yes. As soon as he the arbitration issue is definate, KW will set his plan in motion. Furcal. The Sox need a leadoff hitter. I do not buy for one second that Alexie is the SS next year. KW keeps saying he will be and he should. I fully expect some action Monday or Tuesday.

With the lower contract demands of Furcal with the lowered market, he makes the most sense to target. Pencil him in as leadoff hitter for the next 3 yrs, while the team gets younger and more athletic.

If the sox can sign Furcal, what to do with the IF when Beckham is ready will be a nice problem to have.

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
Let's see how that would look potentially:

Furcal SS

Rameriz CF

Quentin RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

AJ C

Fields 3rd

Dayan LF

Getz 2nd

Or if Getz could somehow emerge as a solid 2 hole hitter, that would create some flexibility as well.

Uh, Jermaine Dye? Unless it's supposed to be implied you're talking about trading him

Where else is Furcal going to go, logically?

He basically has been cast away by the Dodgers, the A's are out of it, and the Giants as well as the Cardinals.

The Dodgers and Tigers are looking at Jack Wilson or even Adam Everett. Of course, if Cabrera does end up coming back at $11 million per season, I can see a significant number of fans whining and griping that we didn't get Furcal when we had the chance. Of course, whether he would actually stay healthy and productive over the life of that contract is anothe matter entirely, but the initial reaction of Cabrera coming might would not be an altogether happy or contented one.

Edited by caulfield12

If Cabrera accepts arbitration, that's fine - we'll just trade him. We won't get a ton, but we should get a nice prospect.

A team like the Dodgers would probably prefer to give us a prospect for a year of Cabrera than to give up 2 draft choices for him (of course we'd lose the choices by trading him). That may even be something Beane would do - he wants a SS and tried to sign Furcal - trade for him for 1 year of Cabrera the draft choices next year when the market may be better.

A 3 year contract would be great with Furcal. If Beckham is ready before then, we'll work it out.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
If Cabrera accepts arbitration, that's fine - we'll just trade him. We won't get a ton, but we should get a nice prospect.

A team like the Dodgers would probably prefer to give us a prospect for a year of Cabrera than to give up 2 draft choices for him (of course we'd lose the choices by trading him). That may even be something Beane would do - he wants a SS and tried to sign Furcal - trade for him for 1 year of Cabrera the draft choices next year when the market may be better.

A 3 year contract would be great with Furcal. If Beckham is ready before then, we'll work it out.

Does anyone believe at this point the market really will be better for 2010? Don't hold your breath.

I agree that if we could trade Cabrera for a CFer/leadoff hitter, that would be great. I'm not so concerned with the draft picks as I am Cabrera's likely $9-12 million price tag for an "average" MLB shortstop. Cabrera is the equivalent of Vazquez among the position players. I think we can win without him. KW's probably thinking the same thing, that his money would be better invested in CF or the starting rotation.

I really think Beckham ends up at 2B, Fields stays at 3B and Viciedo makes his impact in LF/RF or 1B after Konerko is gone in 2010. The reasons are simple, Alexei Ramirez is a "plus" offensive threat at SS, and Beckham likewise is a "plus" offensive player (much better than AL or MLB average) at those positions.

The only thing I see happening is Viciedo or Betemit taking the place of Fields at 3B, but I'm just not sure how good Viciedo is going to be over there defensively. Maybe he has "cat-like" first step quickness, but he just has the look of a corner OF, 1B, DH, just like Carlos Lee when he was trying to play that position early in his career. Now, from everything reported, Viciedo and Ramirez would go head to head for the best arm on the team, so there's hope he can stay there, but I'm not 100% buying it, at least until we see him play there in AZ.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
If true, OC has to decline arbitration. If we're not trading for Roberts, then Furcal is the best fit for this team.

why would we go after another shortstop? In addition we are suppose to get younger and trim payroll. We will not be signing furcal. For whatever reason people think we are actually trying to load up to win it all this year. We are not, call it what you want but this is the start of rebuilding.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
why would we go after another shortstop? In addition we are suppose to get younger and trim payroll. We will not be signing furcal. For whatever reason people think we are actually trying to load up to win it all this year. We are not, call it what you want but this is the start of rebuilding.

Furcal is a good player who meets a real need without having to give up talent. We don't know when Beckham will be ready, but we'll figure things out when he is. Any Furcal scenario has a relatively short contract - 2 or 3 years. I do agree that it's unlikely that we'll sign him. But Williams is going to make some unexpected moe before this is all oer.

On the other hand, trading for Brian Roberts WOULD be loading up to win this year. That's giving up talent for a rent. And this particular rent has an inflated price.

Edited by GreenSox