Phil Rogers on Sox quest to find leadoff man

caulfield12

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
It makes me apprehensive to sign someone whose speed is a major tool that has been injured the last two seasons (Pods) and will be in his mid-thirties for the majority of the contract. Furcal was a good signing 4 years ago, but I think that ship has sailed, and the Dodgers lack of interest should throw up a red flag, like maybe they know something that we dont.

I think our leadoff hitter will come from the CF position, and it may be an acquisition for another young prospect, maybe a package of the pieces that we have acquired for a year of Chone Figgins and Peter Bourjos, Cameron Maybin, or Dexter Fowler they would all fit KW's plan to get younger, be more athletic, and improve the defense. Save the money and get a pitcher instead of spending on a big question mark like Furcal.

The Fowler and Maybin trades will be announced the same day we acquire Fernando Martinez.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
Well I have interest in making him the starting SS and lead off man for the White Sox.

I too really want Furcal. I'd be thrilled if the club could get Bailey for Dye (maybe something else coming to the Sox as well) and than use those funds to sign someone like Dunn or Abreu and than use the other funds saved for Furcal. You'd have a question-mark in the rotation (in the sense that you have one proven veteran, but I believe you'd be talking about an above average offense).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
I too really want Furcal. I'd be thrilled if the club could get Bailey for Dye (maybe something else coming to the Sox as well) and than use those funds to sign someone like Dunn or Abreu and than use the other funds saved for Furcal. You'd have a question-mark in the rotation (in the sense that you have one proven veteran, but I believe you'd be talking about an above average offense).

Furcal SS

Pierzynski C

Quentin RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dunn LF

Ramirez 2B

Fields 3B

Anderson/Lillibridge CF?

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Bailey

Richard/Poreda/Broadway/Maqrquez

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
Furcal SS

Pierzynski C

Quentin RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dunn LF

Ramirez 2B

Fields 3B

Anderson/Lillibridge CF?

Buehrle

Danks

Floyd

Bailey

Richard/Poreda/Broadway/Maqrquez

There's no way that Dunn should be in the same lineup as Thome.

the Cell will be air-conditioned by all the whiffs that those two will have.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)

Yeah, but there'd also be bombs droping all over the place as well.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)

For 1 season it's fine. The 80 HRs and all those walks between them would also totally suck though.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)

Throw in Josh Fields and I think we may have solved our nation's alternative energy problems.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
If we trade Dye, move the missle to RF and sign Furcal.

Getz will be fine at 2b

Give CF and the 9 hole to Anderson.

Furcal makes more sense than the other offensive FA because he can hit leadoff.

Why on earth would we put Alexei in RF... he's not a corner OF, he'd probably do fine there, but it's a waste of his abilities. Quentin is a natural RF and the only reason he wasn't playing there is becaus of Dye, if Dye goes, that position is his, should be end of discussion.

Another name that hasn't been mentioned is the Angels Reggie Willits. Though he hit only .194 in over 100 ab's [due to injury], he's only a year removed from him hitting for .293 avg. and an OBP of .391 in 430 ab's. He'd likely come cheap if the sox could convince the Angels to give him up. He sees a lot of pitches per AB and has speed as well.

He also could be a nice 4th OFer if nothing else. A switchhitter who can play all 3 OF spots. He is a career .304 minor league hitter with a .398 OBP. While he will turn 28 in May, he does have some potential to help a major league team based on his 2007 year.

I love to get Willits but what do we have that the Halo's would want? Their IF and OF seems pretty set so it would have to be 1B or DH. Suppose they might be interested in Paulie or Thome. Thome especially since they are looking for LH power bat.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
Another name that hasn't been mentioned is the Angels Reggie Willits. Though he hit only .194 in over 100 ab's [due to injury], he's only a year removed from him hitting for .293 avg. and an OBP of .391 in 430 ab's. He'd likely come cheap if the sox could convince the Angels to give him up. He sees a lot of pitches per AB and has speed as well.

He also could be a nice 4th OFer if nothing else. A switchhitter who can play all 3 OF spots. He is a career .304 minor league hitter with a .398 OBP. While he will turn 28 in May, he does have some potential to help a major league team based on his 2007 year.

Again, we need less grinders with good speed and little offensive skill, and get some actual quality MLB hitters if we do trade Dye. I swear some people would be happy with a pitching staff full of projects and and a lineup with all grinders.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
Again, we need less grinders with good speed and little offensive skill, and get some actual quality MLB hitters if we do trade Dye. I swear some people would be happy with a pitching staff full of projects and and a lineup with all grinders.

Well Minnesota has won more division championships thanwe have lately.

Just kidding, I think.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)

I agree but we are talking about a lead off hitter here. Willits numbers in 07 were very good for a lead hitter and just what we need to set the table for Quentin and co.

I'd love to pick up Reggie Willits if he can play CF, but I doubt that happens. The Angels always have to be idiots with their prospects by holding on to them for far too long instead of dealing them for value, and then as soon as one of them appears to have an opening they block the guy by signing some garbage like GMJ or spending $18M/year on Torii Hunter.

My guess is they'll pick up Orlando Hudson this season for 5 years, $75M when no one else is willing to go higher than 4/$48. Then everyone will go crazy thinking Howie Kendrick is available, but he won't be. He'll just sit on the Angels bench until he hits free agency.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (1399 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
I agree but we are talking about a lead off hitter here. Willits numbers in 07 were very good for a lead hitter and just what we need to set the table for Quentin and co.

I have no idea if we can count on him to stay healthy. But just looking at his stats...Ignoring the slight addition of speed, the guy put up a .391 OBP in 07. He was hurt last year, and still took walks. That 1 walk in 7 at bats or so ratio he puts up would be absolute dynamite at the front of a power loaded lineup.

I just don't know what the Angels are going to do on their OF. I'm not sure they do either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
I have no idea if we can count on him to stay healthy. But just looking at his stats...Ignoring the slight addition of speed, the guy put up a .391 OBP in 07. He was hurt last year, and still took walks. That 1 walk in 7 at bats or so ratio he puts up would be absolute dynamite at the front of a power loaded lineup.

I just don't know what the Angels are going to do on their OF. I'm not sure they do either.

I dont think they do know what they are doing. After all they went and signed Hunter despite the numbers Willits put up in 07. Their OF is crowded and at the time they dont have room for Willits. I think the Halo's are hoping they can find a sucker for Mathews Jr and then stick Willits out there every day, trouble is there arent any takers for Mathews Jr so they may have no choice but to trade Willits unless they want to spend money in the FA market for a DH/ 1B which will cost them a pretty penny.

Maybe if we could con the Halo's into trading Willits to the Sox Hermie could keep him healthy and on the field every day. Im not going to get my hopes up but it would be nice to have a lead off hitter with speed that can draw walks and swipe bags. Ozzie would creme his shorts if Kenny could get a guy like Willits.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)

I'm not saying trade Dye for Willits. But if Dye is traded, Willits could play LF and Quentin could go to RF. A healthy Willits should be able to post a .285 avg with a .360 OBP. Willits probably wouldn't cost a ton to acquire.

I'd still target Furcal for SS and to hit leadoff. Yet Willits is versatile enough to move around the batting order and OF.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm not saying trade Dye for Willits. But if Dye is traded, Willits could play LF and Quentin could go to RF. A healthy Willits should be able to post a .285 avg with a .360 OBP. Willits probably wouldn't cost a ton to acquire.

I'd still target Furcal for SS and to hit leadoff. Yet Willits is versatile enough to move around the batting order and OF.

So who's in CF then? A lineup with the likes of Willits, Taveras, and Getz is too grinderish.