Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

According to this source, its a done deal:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/s/content...8spredsweb.html

Hal McCoy is a pretty respected baseball journalist.

Source: Reds deal Bailey for White Sox slugger

Jermaine Dye, a 12-year veteran with a .278 career average, would give team a proven right-handed batter.

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, December 07, 2008

With baseball's annual winter meetings unfurling this week at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, rumors run rampant.

A noteworthy one involving the Cincinnati Reds is making the rounds — pitcher Homer Bailey for Chicago White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye.

A major-league source close to the situation told The Dayton Daily News on Sunday, Dec. 7, "The deal is done and will be announced this week."

The Reds are in the market for an outfielder and moving Bailey makes sense. The 22-year-old righthander, the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2004, has not lived up to high expectations and some club officials believe a change of venue would be best for him.

Bailey was 0-6 with a 7.93 ERA in eight starts with the Reds last year and was only 4-7 with a 4.77 ERA at Class AAA Louisville.

He won only one game at Louisville after April and that was in September.

And he didn't enamor himself with the team when he was demoted to Louisville in early August and said he welcomed the demotion because Louisville had a winning atmosphere and the clubhouse was more fun.

Dye, 34, is a 12-year veteran with a .278 career major-league average after hitting .292 last season in 154 games.

He is a right-handed bat, something the Reds need, and he hit 34 homers with 96 RBIs playing for the White Sox in homer-friendly U.S. Cellular Field.

Edited by Kalapse

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is a 1-for-1 deal, then I don't like it.

EDIT: For future reference and after a little more thought, I'm still enamored with Homer Bailey, but if CIN is as down on him as it seems, I'd like to think we could get more. Bailey's potential is incredible though and I have always been a fan.

I would rather sign Ibanez to a 2 year deal than sign Abreu or Dunn to 3-4 year deals. That gives us more flexibility going forward. The other question mark is Pat Burrell.

Essentially, they could flip Dye for Bailey and then replace Dye's RH bat with Burrell and move Quentin to RF. and maybe end up paying Burrell $2-3 million less than they were going to pay JD.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
Depends if we are "subsidizing" the deal with any money going to the Reds.

If so, the secondary names like Freel and Dickerson, etc., will certainly come up.

Ryan Freel f***ing sucks. We have enough grinders with little offensive talent.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
I would rather sign Ibanez to a 2 year deal than sign Abreu or Dunn to 3-4 year deals. That gives us more flexibility going forward. The other question mark is Pat Burrell.

Essentially, they could flip Dye for Bailey and then replace Dye's RH bat with Burrell and move Quentin to RF. and maybe end up paying Burrell $2-3 million less than they were going to pay JD.

Burrell is too streaky and can't run a lick. I think KW is going for a different type. Dunn would be great if the Sox didn't have a DH. I still think Abreu is a strong possibility. He's the type of offensive player the Sox are looking for although his defense at this stage isn't a perfect match for a young pitching staff that's going to need some help from its defense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Ryan Freel f***ing sucks. We have enough grinders with little offensive talent.

Agreed. If Freel can't be anything more than average on a team like the Reds, why would we want him?

I love this, Dye would be gone in a year anyway, and you're giving Coop a guy with some of the best pure stuff in baseball.

It's 1 year of Jermaine Dye for 6+ years of Homer Bailey, + 11million to be used on free agents/locking up Danks, Q, Alexei and Floyd.

Edited by Jimmywins1

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 01:56 AM)
I love this, Dye would be gone in a year anyway, and you're giving Coop a guy with some of the best pure stuff in baseball.

It's 1 year of Jermaine Dye for 6+ years of Homer Bailey, + 11million to be used on free agents.

Bailey's stuff has significantly deteriorated over the past few seasons.