Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Williams said the Sox don't need to trade Jermaine Dye, but "we'll just wait and see what this week brings us." Translation - Bye JD.

From Cowley

I'd like to hear all of Kenny's comments before I decide that JD is a goner for sure.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
Williams said the Sox don't need to trade Jermaine Dye, but "we'll just wait and see what this week brings us." Translation - Bye JD.

From Cowley

Wow, how can JD be brought back after a comment like this is out there? Must mean he's out the door. If not, then he sure wont feel wanted around here, especially after a statistical year like his 07-08. Statistical, mind you...but still that's harsh.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
Wow, how can JD be brought back after a comment like this is out there? Must mean he's out the door. If not, then he sure wont feel wanted around here, especially after a statistical year like his 07-08. Statistical, mind you...but still that's harsh.

KW says every year that all players may be traded for the right deal. He'll say it's highly unlikely and somebody would need to "wow" him with the offer but this is nothing new.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)

Considering KW's MO is "under the radar", Dye's availability and rumored destinations have been anything but. KW said he considered JD a friend and respects him greatly, I just wonder why he'd have him twisting like that. Its kind of strange.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Considering KW's MO is "under the radar", Dye's availability and rumored destinations have been anything but. KW said he considered JD a friend and respects him greatly, I just wonder why he'd have him twisting like that. Its kind of strange.

Maybe they are talking about it, and we're the one's in the dark?

I think there might be more to it. Just a hunch. Maybe KW is letting DYE think about it. He has a deal in place, but because DYE means so much to him personally he is giving him some time. You never know, KW maybe trying to be nice to JD. If it does go through, I really hope we get another prospect as well. Just seems like we are selling a good asset short. Could we get more for Dye if we waited until the deadline? Not sure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 05:10 AM)

You mean not lying to him? Kenny has said he would trade his own son if he thought it made his team better. Why would Dye be any different? To me it sounds like Kenny has just told him exactly what is going on. As for the leaks to the press, it is a large assumption that somehow Kenny is responsible for them, after all there are at least two parties privy to any set of trade negotations, not to mention how many people each party brings to the table. If there is a leak on the other side somewhere, Williams can't really be held responsible for that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 12:37 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised if KW is happy with just Bailey or, if the Sox are willing to kick in some cash, Bailey+. Because I can't imagine that there's any way the Sox will eat some of the contract and just get Bailey in return.

I'm under the impression that the Reds want Dye + cash for Bailey as we sit right now. That would be dumb. But the Reds needed money to get the Freel deal done, so obviously they aren't willing to take on much salary. Plus, the Reds announced that they won't raise ticket prices because they sucked so much.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
the f***ing cubs are gonna get peavy for a package of marquis (addition by subtraction) felix pie, josh vitters and a bag of balls....if thats honestly all it takes im gonna be irate

This morning Brian Hanley was saying that Kevin Towers has stated that Peavy will either go to the Cubs or stay a Padre. I just dont understand it

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
the f***ing cubs are gonna get peavy for a package of marquis (addition by subtraction) felix pie, josh vitters and a bag of balls....if thats honestly all it takes im gonna be irate

Seriously. The names involved are ridiculous. However, Rosenthal says that no deal will go through until the new Cubs ownership is announced because they have to approve of the money. But no one else is saying that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
I'm going to be a little cryptic. But if this was a smokescreen, what other teams are interested in Dye, and why does KW want to make them think they need to up their offer to beat the Reds?

Is there a team in the NL that MAY be losing a very good corner OF'er, and would benefit from having a vet both in the field, and in the clubhouse?

Phillies also fit the bill there, and there have been rumblings already that they have interest in Dye to replace Burrell in the OF. They also have some young pitching, but not much in the way of tradeable OF prospects unless they want to flip Mayberry Jr.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)
Seriously. The names involved are ridiculous. However, Rosenthal says that no deal will go through until the new Cubs ownership is announced because they have to approve of the money. But no one else is saying that.

So the Cubs won't sign any trades or deals until March? Which is when they are saying the sale will be material?

No way.

Actually since the company is in bankruptcy they may be able to get more deals done then if Zell was making the decisions. As long as there is a solid business reason for the transaction the court appointed trustee will allow it especially if it increases the odds of the company netting a larger profit.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
This morning Brian Hanley was saying that Kevin Towers has stated that Peavy will either go to the Cubs or stay a Padre. I just dont understand it

That's the downside of a NTC. I just wonder why in the hell the Pads passed on a very good package of talent in Yunel Escobar + Jordan Schafer + Charlie Moron + prospect in the first place. Instead they sat on Peavy looking for more and now the rumors are Marquis (crap), Vitters (very good prospect), Garrett Olson (failing top prospect via another failing top prospect in Pie), and someone from the Phillies for DeRosa. What a crock. The Pads ownership is saying they have to trade Peavy, so now the Cubs can basically name their price simply because Peavy is a pussy afraid to pitch in the AL.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
So the Cubs won't sign any trades or deals until March? Which is when they are saying the sale will be material?

No way.

The Cubs have already announced their payroll will increase so I'm sure they'll be able work within their "limitations." The only reason they have to move salary is because they made a bunch of stupid FA signings like Marquis, Fukudome, and Soriano.