Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Bailey's stuff has significantly deteriorated over the past few seasons.

A scout that attended his AAA playoff start said he was throwing 93-96 into the 6th inning and had the best curve & slider he'd seen all year.

His stuff deteriorated because he had a groin injury and a knee sprain.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Bailey's stuff has significantly deteriorated over the past few seasons.

No it hasn't. This has been discussed in other threads.

His problem has been lack of command, not lack of stuff.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
The thread is pinned and the link is real.

Yeah I know that, but it's from an unnamed source and in a random newspaper, it happens in every sport, this no wheres near official what so ever.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:00 PM)
On the other hand, if we use this money wisely, then I don't mind these moves. I'd like to be the first to say thank you to Jermaine Dye. One of the most significant players in Sox history.

Dye is one of the best players and people this team has ever had.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Just a terrible, gross trade. The rumors about the Sox having huge financial issues are becoming more accurate by the day.

Straight up I'd say the Reds win this deal. However, if the Sox have information that Bailey had leg problems last season which were the cause of his velocity trouble for most of the season than I wouldn't have an issue. Bailey is young with a fantastic build and up until last season was as untouchable as a prospect can get. Plus, if the Sox do something with Dye's money, such as bring in Dunn or Abreu (and hopefully Furcal with some of the other money) than I'd have zero problem with this deal.

Obviously it's all speculation at this point but I'd imagine if there is truth to this we will find out quickly (as in tomorrow). I won't lie in the sense that I'll be excited to see Bailey if he can regain his old form (Cause those type of pitchers don't grow on trees) but you have to have some concerns over what happened to him last season.

QUOTE (scenario @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:00 AM)
No it hasn't. This has been discussed in other threads.

His problem has been lack of command, not lack of stuff.

You must have not watched his performances for the Reds this past season. My brother also saw him in AAA a few times this season, and was shocked at how much velocity he's lost.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
On the other hand, if we use this money wisely, then I don't mind these moves. I'd like to be the first to say thank you to Jermaine Dye. One of the most significant players in Sox history.

Yeah. If this is true, I'm sad to say I've seen Dye play his last game in a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:00 PM)

1 of my top 3 favorite White Sox of all-time.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:01 AM)
Dye is one of the best players and people this team has ever had.

And I'll say something controversial here, but screw it: I'll have better memories of Dye's time with the White Sox than Frank Thomas. However, there's plenty of time to discuss Dye's legacy in the coming days.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)

Best free agent signing in White Sox history.