Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
You must have not watched his performances for the Reds this past season. My brother also saw him in AAA a few times this season, and was shocked at how much velocity he's lost.

I'll say it again, a scout that watched his AAA playoff start said he was throwing 93-96 into the 6th inning. If you can find the box score, you'll be able to watch the video.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
who quoted a unnamed source, not himself.

Yes, but..................McCoy is the longest tenured beat writer in the game. A HOFer. I'm pretty sure he has great sources and probably wouldn't run it like he did if he wasn't certain of its accuracy. I hope it is wrong.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
You must have not watched his performances for the Reds this past season. My brother also saw him in AAA a few times this season, and was shocked at how much velocity he's lost.

Didn't Bailey throw in the AFL?

If he was in fact injured or throwing in pain, that would explain the velocity drop/loss.

If this trade went through, it would have to be based on thorough physical exams first and also the fact that he has re-established his mid 90's fastball. Otherwise, it's too big of a risk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
Yes, but..................McCoy is the longest tenured beat writer in the game. A HOFer. I'm pretty sure he has great sources and probably wouldn't run it like he did if he wasn't certain of its accuracy. I hope it is wrong.

True, but he may have only gotten one name out of the deal going to the Sox, hence the reason why the deal would be announced later in the week.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:01 AM)

Reports had him having a groin injury last year. Obviously Bailey has some issues or else he wouldn't have been traded for a 34-yo corner OF'er. Very good deal for the Sox, maximizing Dye's trade value.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
Would of rather have shipped Thome or Kong somewhere.

Right, of course they arent worth half of what Dye is.

And I like that many people are saying they wont go to games next year, I like it when there are less yahoo's at the park. The Sox are going after some FA's as we speak. I am not too worried, I like this building on young pitching philosophy.

Man, I'm definitely going to miss JD. I trust KW, so I trust that he knows more than us about Baileys struggles last season. But I must say, between Bailey/Danks/Floyd, the potential of the 3 reminds me of the early Zito/Hudson/Mulder A's rotation.