Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
Bailey actually looked really good at the end of the season. In hindsight, this would have been a good trade to make.

It would've been a good trade even without hindsight. People were so caught up in what Dye had done in the past (OH MY GOD! HOW COULD YOU TRADE THE 2005 WORLD SERIES MVP?!) instead of looking at 2009 and onward. Dye has been in decline since 2006, with last year being rock bottom. But at his age, it wasn't that surprising. The knock on Bailey was that he mysteriously lost his stuff/velocity. Bailey's fastball was routinely hitting 95-97 MPH last year. And his secondary pitches (in particular his slider) all showed considerable improvement. Basically you saw what all the hype was about in the first place. This is why you don't dismiss 22-year olds with less than 80 innings of major league experience. That's going to be a fun rotation to watch with Cueto (who I expect to breakout), Bailey and hopefully Chapman.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
It would've been a good trade even without hindsight. People were so caught up in what Dye had done in the past (OH MY GOD! HOW COULD YOU TRADE THE 2005 WORLD SERIES MVP?!) instead of looking at 2009 and onward. Dye has been in decline since 2006, with last year being rock bottom. But at his age, it wasn't that surprising. The knock on Bailey was that he mysteriously lost his stuff/velocity. Bailey's fastball was routinely hitting 95-97 MPH last year. And his secondary pitches (in particular his slider) all showed considerable improvement. Basically you saw what all the hype was about in the first place. This is why you don't dismiss 22-year olds with less than 80 innings of major league experience. That's going to be a fun rotation to watch with Cueto (who I expect to breakout), Bailey and hopefully Chapman.

2008 Gavin Floyd just hugged you.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)

dont forget Volquez whom is the "funnest" of the bunch, the reds are always my 2nd fav team.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
dont forget Volquez whom is the "funnest" of the bunch, the reds are always my 2nd fav team.

Yeah he's not coming back till atleast the middle of the season, considering he's recovering from Tommy John surgery.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
Yeah he's not coming back till atleast the middle of the season, considering he's recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Not to mention he won't be the same one year removed from it. He'll need a solid two years to be good again. Reds do have a nice future core though. Add Leake to the list as well.