Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:11 PM)
I think Ozzie told KW he wanted him gone.

The fact is that Viciedo might end up a much better player, and we can sign Ibanez, Dunn, Abreu or Burrell for a reasonable contract for 2 years and hold down the fort while the prospects are coming up and maturing in AA/AAA.

I don't buy that. Dye was well respected in Chicago.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 03:15 AM)
If he was batting 9th, I'd have zero problems with that. Hopefully a Furcal signing and a Taveras deal would give us a nice speedy combo at 1 and 9 in the lineup.

Yep, I'd have no problem with it, as long as there's good offensive players added to SS and LF.

i love jermaine dye....that said he was god awful in the field last year, is only signed for 1 year and i dont think this is a terrible trade....its disappointing to me that we aren't going for it this year, but this is the type of youth movement i called for last year, and i like that KW is trading a guy before his stock drops too low....hopefully bailey gets straightened out....this is the most recent scouting report from oct. 3 2008 when he was the 10th prospect in the IL

While Bailey got out of whack in his delivery, didn't throw enough strikes and went winless after April, he still had a couple of things going for him: his age and his stuff. The 22-year-old was the youngest rotation regular in the IL, a full eight months younger than Wade Davis.

When he's right, Bailey has explosive life on a 93-95 mph fastball, especially when he throws it in the upper or lower regions of the strike zone. At other times, his fastball flattens out in the middle of the zone at 89-91. Scouts say an arm wrap in back of his delivery might affect his release point and thus his command.

Bailey can put plus spin on a power curveball, and he's nearly unhittable when he's working ahead of batters and throwing the pitch for strikes. His changeup and cutter have average potential. The Reds opted not to recall him after the IL playoffs, letting him end his season on a high note after he struck out eight in six shutout innings in a playoff start against Durham.

Here's what some guy on minorleagueball.com with a Reds Minor League Website says about Bailey being injured:

He wasn't hurt

The Reds just told him he couldn’t throw his 4 seam fastball for most of the year. This Reds fan is disappointed at selling low on Bailey. That said, I think Dye is a fine player, but the fact that he can walk at the end of the year sucks. Toss in that the Reds may also be sending more prospects and ew.

www.redsminorleagues.com

by dougdirt on Dec 7, 2008 7:59 PM CST

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
I would absolutely love it if we signed Raul Ibanez. Dude is a badass and a Sox killer, so it would be nice having him on our side.

He's also 2 years older than Jermaine, an awful defender and would cost the Sox a 1st round draft pick.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
Right, of course they arent worth half of what Dye is.

And I like that many people are saying they wont go to games next year, I like it when there are less yahoo's at the park. The Sox are going after some FA's as we speak. I am not too worried, I like this building on young pitching philosophy.

Its funny. 2 years ago we had tons of people on this site wishing we would burn the entire thing down and rebuild. Talking about how we are going to be old, and that the rest of the AL Central is ready to pass us by. Here we are 2 years later, with a nice young nucleus and we seem to be building around a strong pitching core. Pitchers with pedigree's that either havent gotten to the majors, or have been underwhelming. I stand where I was 2 years ago. I want to win not once in a while, but I want this team to be in it year after year. Dye is a great player for the sox, and is one of the most important players for this team in its history. In a few years I hope to thank him for bringing us a strong pitcher. On this site, like a lot of other sites, we overvalue our own players, and undervalue other teams. Kenny and his management team have done pretty well bringing talent to this team. Some times it fails. But the plan is there. I look forward to seeing some of these players play for this team. And I would rather fork money over to see this team, than to wait 2 years with an aging core and no fallback plan outside of becoming the Yankees. It saddens us all to see players go, but it all happens. Lets reload and have a great team for a long time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
If this trade was 1 for 1 and the Sox don't spend any of the savings, its a horrible trade, but there is no way that money won't be spent.

Completely agree with you. If the deal turns into Dunn/Abreu/Furcal (at least one of those three) and Bailey for Dye than I'd be exstatic.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
I don't buy that. Dye was well respected in Chicago.

I think he was referring to Swisher.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:15 PM)
I think the Sox are going to move quickly at the winter meetings (ie, once they have the OC issue resolved and Dye's contract off the books). Kenny has something up his sleeve.

But like what?

I love Ibanez but like Kalapse said, he's old, terrible in the field (just like Dye was so that won't scare KW away), and he'd cost us a pick. I don't want Dunn, he's even worse then Ibanez and Dye in the field and I hate Thome so I'd hate him. I wouldn't mind Furcal.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Swisher was f***ing awful. I still believe we'll see the Sox make a minimum of one decent size free agent signing's and potentially as many as two (either a SS and OF or an OF and pitcher, imo).

I was thinking that I'd be satisfied if the Sox ended up getting two of these three: Furcal, Lowe, and Dunn. Even if it's not those guys specifically, I'd hope it would be a proven major league player at those respective positions (Starter, LF/RF, and 2B/SS).

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
Yep, I'd have no problem with it, as long as there's good offensive players added to SS and LF.

For once, I agree with you completely. I actually welcome the idea of Taveras in CF and batting 9th.

Wow. I really didn't think this would happen after the last couple of trades. The Sox have to have another move up their sleeve, because they can't go into next year with most of their most marketable players gone. They will have a hard time selling this if they don't figure out a way to plug some other holes. And I will be really pissed off if this move was forced by Cabrera coming back to the Sox.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
1 year of Dye for the former #1 prospect in baseball who is still young isnt a bad deal. I also dont think this is a 1 for 1 deal at all.

yeah i think we at least will get another guy or two....maybe a toolsy young single A arm or rookie ball arm like Santos Rodriguez

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
He's also 2 years older than Jermaine, an awful defender and would cost the Sox a 1st round draft pick.

Abreu would be a much better pick-up but the best pick-up would be Adam Dunn. A 3 to 4 year deal with him sliding into Thome's DH spot a year from now. The best part is you might just be able to get him to agree to a 4yr 32M deal with some incentives (given the current market conditions).