Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I was thinking that I'd be satisfied if the Sox ended up getting two of these three: Furcal, Lowe, and Dunn. Even if it's not those guys specifically, I'd hope it would be a proven major league player at those respective positions (Starter, LF/RF, and 2B/SS).

I think its safe to say that KW isnt after a FA pitcher. He was going to fill the lead off/OF/Pitching roles with trades or FA signings. With Bailey probably slotted for the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation I think its a pretty solid guess that any FA is going to be a corner OF'er or a leadoff man.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
I was thinking that I'd be satisfied if the Sox ended up getting two of these three: Furcal, Lowe, and Dunn. Even if it's not those guys specifically, I'd hope it would be a proven major league player at those respective positions (Starter, LF/RF, and 2B/SS).

Furcal and Dunn are possibilities, no way on Lowe, Burnett or Sheets.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
Abreu would be a much better pick-up but the best pick-up would be Adam Dunn. A 3 to 4 year deal with him sliding into Thome's DH spot a year from now. The best part is you might just be able to get him to agree to a 4yr 32M deal with some incentives (given the current market conditions).

Kenny has been trading our all or nothing OF'ers, I dont see him going after another one at this point.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I'm actually beginning to come around on this already. Bailey is something we are really lacking..a potential power righty in our rotation.

As much as it pains me to give up one of my heroes, my head tells me that selling him high was the right move. We've been fairly lucky that he has remained healthy and has been consistently productive. Who knows how good Jermaine Dye will be now that he is entering his decline phase?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
For once, I agree with you completely. I actually welcome the idea of Taveras in CF and batting 9th.

The problem then is finding a leadoff hitting infielder. If they have one in mind (ie: Furcal) then Taveras is a valuable commodity in the 9 hole. The key though is keeping him at the bottom of the lineup, he has no business at the top.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
I think its safe to say that KW isnt after a FA pitcher. He was going to fill the lead off/OF/Pitching roles with trades or FA signings. With Bailey probably slotted for the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation I think its a pretty solid guess that any FA is going to be a corner OF'er or a leadoff man.

Yep, with KW making all of these trades for potential 4/5 starters in 2009, he can't then go out and sign a 10 million dollar a year pitcher also.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
Yep, with KW making all of these trades for potential 4/5 starters in 2009, he can't then go out and sign a 10 million dollar a year pitcher also.

Right. He is going to use the money in one spot, and that is now either an OF'er or a lead off guy, or both.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
Kenny has been trading our all or nothing OF'ers, I dont see him going after another one at this point.

He'd only play the OF for 1 season then become the full time DH in 2010. It's actually a perfect fit.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Agreed...everyone needs to remember that Ozzie and Abreu are great friends.

So you can say that Abreu could probably be signed for Dye-type money, while he just bypassed the FA pitching market by trading Dye for a young, long-term arm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
Wow. I really didn't think this would happen after the last couple of trades. The Sox have to have another move up their sleeve, because they can't go into next year with most of their most marketable players gone. They will have a hard time selling this if they don't figure out a way to plug some other holes. And I will be really pissed off if this move was forced by Cabrera coming back to the Sox.

I don't think KW would do anything without being apprised of Cabrera's decision.

As mentioned, it was "completed" before the WM even started...apparently. We needed another pitcher, everyone knows that, and Bailey is a better risk than Edwin Jackson IMO.

This is a trade that KW has had his eye on for a long time, and independent of the SS situation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2008 -> 02:24 AM)
So you can say that Abreu could probably be signed for Dye-type money, while he just bypassed the FA pitching market by trading Dye for a young, long-term arm.

Exactly, while adding a great base runner in Abreu. Both suck on defense though.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
i believe in mr. raines and sox will be adding to payroll very soon.

Cowley said the same thing last week. If dye is moved, it's because they are adding in FA.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 06:22 PM)
The problem then is finding a leadoff hitting infielder. If they have one in mind (ie: Furcal) then Taveras is a valuable commodity in the 9 hole. The key though is keeping him at the bottom of the lineup, he has no business at the top.

I could totally live with Taveras as our 9 hole hitter. I'm not opposed to 9 hole guys that can bunt, hit for relatively high averages, and steal bases while playing solid center field defense (in fact, compared to Swisher, Taveras would be pretty nice out there). The Sox would have a hole in the corner outfield but they could always just give that job to Viceido and see what he can do or get one of the FA guys out there to eventually agree to a 1 or 2 year deal (ie an Abreu/Burrel/Dunn/etc). Basically whichever one is sitting there come the middle of January.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I'm actually beginning to come around on this already. Bailey is something we are really lacking..a potential power righty in our rotation.

I am with you completely, I will miss JD, but our rotation is starting to look incredibly good for many years to come.