Rod Blagojevich officially facing federal corruption charges

Steve9347

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
So does anyone have a clue if Blago can appeal the decision to the Supreme Court of Illinois?

I read Article 4, Section 14 but it has no process for appeals.

There is also no discussion of due process or the procedural aspects of the impeachment.

Could there be an appeal based on the fact that Blago was denied due process when he could not bring in his own witnesses?

His argument would rely primarily on the Illinois Constitution, specifically:

Would an impeachment conviction be depriving him of life, liberty or property?

Here is what the annotated Article 4, section 14 says:

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lru/ILConstitution.pdf

So perhaps the 1997 rules are what they followed.

After reading through that constitution, I think it's vague enough that the legislature can pretty much set whatever rules it wants (i.e. we're not going to let Blago's hair call any witnesses in its defense) and there really is no recourse. The Illinois Legislature appears to have an awful lot of power in this regard. There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for an appeal since it is not a criminal trial, and even if there was, since there's no requirement that the Governor has to have actually done anything other than piss off enough legislators, there really is no guarantee of any sort of due process in those proceedings.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 12:51 PM)
So does anyone have a clue if Blago can appeal the decision to the Supreme Court of Illinois?

I read Article 4, Section 14 but it has no process for appeals.

There is also no discussion of due process or the procedural aspects of the impeachment.

Could there be an appeal based on the fact that Blago was denied due process when he could not bring in his own witnesses?

His argument would rely primarily on the Illinois Constitution, specifically:

Would an impeachment conviction be depriving him of life, liberty or property?

Here is what the annotated Article 4, section 14 says:

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/lru/ILConstitution.pdf

So perhaps the 1997 rules are what they followed.

Impeachment is a legislative action, not a criminal trial. There is nothing to appeal.

The impression that I have gotten is that Blago is an utter disaster as a Govenor. The legislature simply needs to decide he is out but they need a 66% majority if I am correct. The system of checks and balances as a whole.

The federal prosecution case is simply icing on the cake. Blago has been impeaching himself for the last six years by simply being the moron that he is.

I am not certain as to why the stories of what a jagoff he is are not more common knowledge but I know first hand that the guy is a complete moron.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 03:07 PM)
I am not certain as to why the stories of what a jagoff he is are not more common knowledge but I know first hand that the guy is a complete moron.

I don't know about individual stories, but on this board, everyone pretty much knows he's a disaster and hates him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 04:27 PM)
The vote happened already? I'm watching something on CNN but I don't know what it is yet.

59-0 vote to impeach him. they are about to vote whether he should ever hold political office in Illinois again

"The fix was in"

"Will you still cover me if I have something to say, or is this the last hurrah?"

:lolhitting Thanks Gov.

In Texas, when we have a s***ty Governor, we get him a new job in Washington . . .

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 07:19 AM)
"The fix was in"

"Will you still cover me if I have something to say, or is this the last hurrah?"

:lolhitting Thanks Gov.

In Texas, when we have a s***ty Governor, we get him a new job in Washington . . .

The best part of that media part was that this line:

"If I have something to say, will you show up, if I want you to? Because I have a lot to say"

Was followed in less than 60 seconds by:

"See, you guys in the media don't get it, but then I guess that's just the way you are"

That is effing golden.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
The best part of that media part was that this line:

"If I have something to say, will you show up, if I want you to? Because I have a lot to say"

Was followed in less than 60 seconds by:

"See, you guys in the media don't get it, but then I guess that's just the way you are"

That is effing golden.

I seriously think he suffers from MPD. He is just all over the place. Worse than a 6 year old after 2 bags of cotton candy. I feel so bad for his daughters.