Rule 5 Draft - Sox Pick No One

Hatchetman

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
This probably belongs under the crazy move heading, because the sox never take somebody in the major league phase.

Anyway, here's a guy who was the Indians #7 prospect last year. He looks like a Ross Gload type:

Jordan Brown Stats: http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=1818

Seems like the type of guy who could come in handy if PK or Thome are injured, which I'd say there is a significant risk of at some point during the season. But if the team only carries 4 bench guys, its hard to justify taking one of them with a 1B/DH.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
I think Kila Kaaihue, a big slow Hawaiian is available. Pretty good hitter. Brother is a braves prospect. 1B/DH type:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/K/kila-kaaihue.shtml

I'd much rather have him than the earlier mentioned 1B. I remember seeing him play against the Sox late in the season, and I was impressed.

For him, if available, I'd almost be willing to take a shot and give him a bench spot. I'm kind of shocked he is unprotected.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I'd much rather have him than the earlier mentioned 1B. I remember seeing him play against the Sox late in the season, and I was impressed.

For him, if available, I'd almost be willing to take a shot and give him a bench spot. I'm kind of shocked he is unprotected.

AHH, NEVERMIND. He must have been added to the 40-man in the last few weeks. The website I was using was out of date.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
So when was the last time the Sox picked someone in the major league portion of the draft?

Certainly a while ago.

With the way KW has been stockpiling young players this off-season though, it wouldn't surprise me to see us make a move here possibly.

What's our 40 man roster at?

One of the more interesting Sox picks was in 1987. They picked a Toronto 2B prospect Santiago Garcia, who had all the tools, but was a total nutcase. He didn't make the opening day roster, but the Blue Jays didn't want him back. After about half a year in AAA for the sox, he was released.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/S...go-Garcia.shtml

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
What's our 40 man roster at?

Whitesox.com currently lists 36 guys. It has clearly been updated since the Vazquez and Swisher deals since the returning guys are on there, and the guys who are FA's are gone. Viciedo is not on there, so I think we should just consider it to be at 37.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Of course the Sox made probably the greatest Rule 5 pick in history in 1985 with Bobby Bonilla.

Johan Santana was a Rule V pick of the Twins (from the Astros via the Marlins). Josh Hamilton may end up better than Bonilla too (we'll have to wait and see).

Was Roberto Clemente considered a Rule V pick by the Pirates?

QUOTE (heirdog @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
Johan Santana was a Rule V pick of the Twins (from the Astros via the Marlins). Josh Hamilton may end up better than Bonilla too (we'll have to wait and see).

Was Roberto Clemente considered a Rule V pick by the Pirates?

Clemente was, yes. He was pretty damn good too or so I hear.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
I did not know the rule 5 draft existed prior to the amatuer draft system being set up in the 60s.

some quick research reveals some other near HOF'ers:

urban shocker

red faber

hal chase

hack wilson

willy taveras

? or is there another Willy T that i don't know about.