Rule 5 Draft - Sox Pick No One

Hatchetman

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Trade Dye for Bailey straight up and sign Abreu and that would be 39. And that's not taking in to account adding any additional folks to the roster, i.e. Beckham or Poreda. (although pretty much everyone else but them and Viciedo that I think might be up this year is already there).

If you add a backup catcher then that is 40. Still, Jerry Owens and Lance Broadway are both unnecessarily on this roster and it makes my skin crawl. They could have added someone with those spots. Or, if they didn't think anyone in the draft was worthy of a roster spot, then they could have called a press conference to announce that Owens and Broadway aren't either and have been traded to Japan.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
If you add a backup catcher then that is 40. Still, Jerry Owens and Lance Broadway are both unnecessarily on this roster and it makes my skin crawl. They could have added someone with those spots. Or, if they didn't think anyone in the draft was worthy of a roster spot, then they could have called a press conference to announce that Owens and Broadway aren't either and have been traded to Japan.

It's looking more and more like Jerry Owens will be your starting CF and leadoff man next year.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)

but Jerry Owens is our leadoff hitter - he's FAST! he's a GRINDER! he has THEFIRE&THEPASSION!

If we plan to compete this year then Broadway won't last the season on the 40 man. The kid's just not a major leaguer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Trade Dye for Bailey straight up and sign Abreu and that would be 39. And that's not taking in to account adding any additional folks to the roster, i.e. Beckham or Poreda. (although pretty much everyone else but them and Viciedo that I think might be up this year is already there).

It wouldnt, and wasnt a 1 for 1 swap. It was 2-3 guys including Bailey.

Sorry to see D-Rod go. Good pitcher, good swingman. Gets a lot of K's and groundballs. The good news is that he can come back if Tampa doesn't keep him, just like Fernando Hernandez last year. Ricardo Nanita...sigh...3 years as a Baron. He will be missed, hustled his butt off, could hit lefties better than righties, could play all three outfield spots. I just hope he gets a shot at AAA, I couldn't understand why he was never promoted while he was with the White Sox. Never saw Jason Rice.

Valido...

Valido...

Valido..

Now he can infuriate the fans in Bowie or Norfolk. 3 years as a Baron, if you don't count his midseason demotions in 2006 and 2007. Just maddening to watch. I actually saw him hit a homerun last year. I know...UFO's, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, a Valido homerun...which one have you seen? Don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out, Rob.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Sorry to see D-Rod go. Good pitcher, good swingman. Gets a lot of K's and groundballs. The good news is that he can come back if Tampa doesn't keep him, just like Fernando Hernandez last year. Ricardo Nanita...sigh...3 years as a Baron. He will be missed, hustled his butt off, could hit lefties better than righties, could play all three outfield spots. I just hope he gets a shot at AAA, I couldn't understand why he was never promoted while he was with the White Sox. Never saw Jason Rice.

Valido...

Valido...

Valido..

Now he can infuriate the fans in Bowie or Norfolk. 3 years as a Baron, if you don't count his midseason demotions in 2006 and 2007. Just maddening to watch. I actually saw him hit a homerun last year. I know...UFO's, Bigfoot, Chupacabra, a Valido homerun...which one have you seen? Don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out, Rob.

I've seen a UFO. Never even a Valido basehit though, let alone a homer.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
but Jerry Owens is our leadoff hitter - he's FAST! he's a GRINDER! he has THEFIRE&THEPASSION!

If we plan to compete this year then Broadway won't last the season on the 40 man. The kid's just not a major leaguer.

I hope you're right. I don't want to see him again, ever. The guy had one good smoke-and-mirrors Sonnanstart during a period when we really needed it, then he got sent right back down afterwards, and that's because he sucks.

What are the rules for the minors part of the draft?

Same age/time rules I assume, but what about the roster part. If a minor league team takes a player from another team, say if the Barons took a guy, are they required to keep the guy on the baron's roster the whole season or eles return him?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
What are the rules for the minors part of the draft?

Same age/time rules I assume, but what about the roster part. If a minor league team takes a player from another team, say if the Barons took a guy, are they required to keep the guy on the baron's roster the whole season or eles return him?

I believe the rules are that, for the Double A portion, you have guys who have been in a system for 3-4 years and have never risen above A+ ball. That gives them a chance to move up. With Triple A portion I think it's the same thing except for guys who haven't risen above Double A. And I think in either case I think they have to stick on the roster for a full year or else move up. But I'm not sure of that.

Edit: Either way it doesn't seem like the minor league phase is all that important because don't these guys become minor league free agents after 5 seasons anyway?

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
I believe the rules are that, for the Double A portion, you have guys who have been in a system for 3-4 years and have never risen above A+ ball. That gives them a chance to move up. With Triple A portion I think it's the same thing except for guys who haven't risen above Double A. And I think in either case I think they have to stick on the roster for a full year or else move up. But I'm not sure of that.

Edit: Either way it doesn't seem like the minor league phase is all that important because don't these guys become minor league free agents after 5 seasons anyway?

Players signing out of college have 5 seasons, guys out of high school have 7 seasons before free agency.

So, a AAA team cannot select someone in the rule 5 draft who played in AAA? They have to be at least AA? If that's so, then the only point in a major league team selecting someone would be if that player was in AAA, otherwise, if he never made it above AA they can obtain him via minor league draft. Right?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
Players signing out of college have 5 seasons, guys out of high school have 7 seasons before free agency.

So, a AAA team cannot select someone in the rule 5 draft who played in AAA? They have to be at least AA? If that's so, then the only point in a major league team selecting someone would be if that player was in AAA, otherwise, if he never made it above AA they can obtain him via minor league draft. Right?

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but with the Major League portion you can select anyone from any level so long as they have the number of seasons to be eligible out of the draft. It seems like the minor league portion is more for organizational players and the Major League phase is more for actual prospects.

Edit: this is from Wikipedia

To prevent excessive turnover in the minor league levels, each draftee costs $50,000. If the draftee does not stay on the selecting team's 25-man (major league) roster all season, the player must be offered back to his original team at half-price. Organizations may also draft players from AA or lower to play for their AAA affiliates (for $12,000) and may draft players from A teams or lower to play for their AA affiliates (for $4,000).

So maybe the cost is the reason more players aren't selected in the minor league portions. The Major League phase gets the prospects and the other phases would rather not spend extra money on guys close to minor league free agency.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects