Is there a list of potential non-tender candidates out there?

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
Sarcasm, let's just make sure he's healthy before bringing him in.

The only reason he'd be non-tendered is if the Mariners feel his shoulder is still in such bad shape that he'll be a non-factor in 2009 (the most recent report has him healing nicely) and if that's the case then I want nothing to do with him. I guarantee they'd be willing to gamble $7M and keep him around if they think there's any shot of him returning to form this up coming season. You don't just let the guy go for nothing just because he might be a waste of $7M after giving up Adam Jones to acquire him.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
I have no problem signing a non-tendered Willy Taveras to a deal.

I have a huge problem counting on him to be our starting CF and leadoff man, but I digress.

As of this moment, the Sox are relying on .220 AAA hitters and guys with 4.80 ERAs in AAA to contribute. Why not have a non tender who can't even get traded for Tim Redding lead off and play CF?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
Gabe Gross is another candidate I believe.

I keep hearing this and I just can't believe it. Gabe Gross is insanely popular with the TB fans. If he can be the 25th man what's the harm in holding onto him. He may not be very good at all, but do they have someone to replace him?

Edited by chunk23

If the player is under contract and is released by the team then the team is on the hook for the whole contract. For example: Mike MacDougal is under contract by the White Sox for $2.65M this season and is due a $350K buyout if his 2010 option is not exercised. If the White Sox released MacDougal today they'd have to pay him $3M.

Non-tendering only refers to players who are not under contract, whether they be arbitration eligible or still pre-arb (and usually out of options), the team may decide their 40 man roster spot or the money it would take to retain said player is more valuable than the player himself so when the deadline for tendering contracts approaches the team can simply elect to not re-sign the player and will owe him no money (since he's not under contract).

Tonight at 11pm is the deadline to tender contracts. If the Sox feel DJ Carrasco is not worth the couple hundred thousand it will cost to retain him or the two sides can not come to an agreement on a 1 year deal and the Sox don't feel it's worth going to arbitration with him the Sox can choose to simply not tender him a contract or non-tender him. Carrasco would become a free agent, the Sox wouldn't owe him a dime and they'd free up a spot on the 40 man roster.