Tigers acquire Edwin Jackson

Jimmywins1

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8922020...r-meetings-blog

"9:32 p.m. — Source: Tigers to aqcuire Edwin Jackson

The Detroit Tigers are set to acquire right-hander Edwin Jackson from the Tampa Bay Rays for outfielder Matt Joyce, according to a major-league source.

Tampa Bay, with David Price on the way, had a surplus of starting pitching. Jackson, 25, was 14-11 this year with a 4.25 ERA.

In exchange the Rays get a 24-year-old, left-handed-hitting corner outfielder who hit 12 homers in 242 at-bats. -- Ed Price"

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
EDIT: Never mind. Larish is the weak stick I was thinking of. Joyce actually has some potential.

What are you talking about? Larish hit 27 HR in AA in 07, Joyce has never topped 17 in any league nor has he hit over .270 since low-A ball.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
What are you talking about? Larish hit 27 HR in AA in 07, Joyce has never topped 17 in any league nor has he hit over .270 since low-A ball.

I don't give a crap what Larish did in AA in 07. I saw him play and he won't do s*** in the MLB. Anyone with any knowledge of hitting can see that Larish's approach and all around swing just won't cut it. Unless he changes what he does at the plate, he won't be any better then a bench player.

You can quote me on this. Joyce will easily be a better player then Larish.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
I don't give a crap what Larish did in AA in 07. I saw him play and he won't do s*** in the MLB.

My sig area would be too full of your absolutes after a few months, BS.

I'd have to store them in a thread.

;)

Its a good deal for the Tigers. Especially since all they gave up was their version of Jeremy Reed or Ryan Sweeney. I would take Jackson and plug him into 45h or 5th in rotation and see if he could develop some control and command. I know hes a bit hit or miss, but hes got great stuff. As far as I am concerned just in terms of talent (not production) its a steal for the Tigers.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 10:44 PM)
I don't give a crap what Larish did in AA in 07. I saw him play and he won't do s*** in the MLB. Anyone with any knowledge of hitting can see that Larish's approach and all around swing just won't cut it. Unless he changes what he does at the plate, he won't be any better then a bench player.

You're just f***ing Nostradamus when it comes to baseball. You saw him play, therefore it must be true. Quote this...you don't know squat about judging talent, otherwise you'd be working for a major league baseball team. How many players have you scouted and evaluated? Is Joyce going to be better than future Hall of Famer Ryan Sweeney?

Give me a f***ing break, we can write a book with all your damn predictions.

Oh, and all the Tigers fans I know hate this deal.