Sox have inside track on Abreu

Hatchetman

The White Sox have the inside track on free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu, according to the New York Daily News.

The Chi Sox would likely want to move Jermaine Dye first and have been in talks with the Reds to do just that. Abreu, 34, batted .296/.371/.471 last season with 20 home runs and 100 RBI. He also stole 22 bases. It's going to take at least a three-year deal to ink him. Dec. 11 - 8:39 am et

Source: New York Daily News

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting .....both are awful in the field, so i guess its a wash, although this may be an upgrade as I assume abreu would be in LF with TCQ in RF

I love abreu's ability to take a walk and work the count....not to mention hes the antithesis of Nick Swisher with 2 strikes on him

if we get a good young pitcher for Dye and sign abreu to a reasonable 2 year deal with a mutual option i think this is a good move.....abreu is one of those guys KW has always had his eye on

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
alrighty one the w sox with have move abreu to Lf Due to strong comments of quentin playing his natural position.

Getting someone exact fielding of dye. I dont expect w sox sign abreu.

Are you okay?

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
alrighty one the w sox with have move abreu to Lf Due to strong comments of quentin playing his natural position.

Getting someone exact fielding of dye. I dont expect w sox sign abreu.

This is why you have to list where you are from. So when you stroke out we know where to send help.

Hence why I hope Dye gets dealt, even though I'm a big JD fan.

Moving Abreu to LF and Quentin to RF also.

If the Sox can get Bailey for Dye, plug Bailey into the #4 spot in the rotation, and then sign Abreu for the 2 hole, I like our team better than what it is ATM.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
I would if Abreu could lead off?

That's actually an interesting possibility also.

I think he'd prefer hitting #2 or #3 though, and KW and Ozzie may try to use Owens or Taveras in CF as the leadoff man (not popular I know).

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
That's actually an interesting possibility also.

I think he'd prefer hitting #2 or #3 though, and KW and Ozzie may try to use Owens or Taveras in CF as the leadoff man (not popular I know).

The Sox tried that experiment with Swisher last season. Of course, Abreu is better than that, but I don't think that's Ozzie's first option.

T-minus 2 hours until KW claims no discussions have taken place.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:01 AM)
The Sox tried that experiment with Swisher last season. Of course, Abreu is better than that, but I don't think that's Ozzie's first option.

Hence why if they could find a leadoff hitter in CF, they wouldn't have to use Abreu, to take him out of his comfor zone.

I think he'd be the perfect #2 hitter in the lineup for us though. Certainly an upgrade on Pierzynski / Wise from last season.

People have to start linking rumors, not just putting a source. The rumor from the Sporting News. However, the NY Daily News doesn't appear to have this rumor on their site and there is no link to it from the Sporting News.

Edit, I found it:

Here is the actual burb:

ABREU'S KIND OF TOWN? Bobby Abreu and his agents haven't heard from the Yankees since the season ended, but the free-agent outfielder is garnering interest from several teams. The White Sox seem to have the inside track, according to a source familiar with the situation, but Chicago would have to trade Jermaine Dye before signing Abreu.

The Rays have also expressed interest in Abreu, although Tampa Bay won't offer the kind of money he's looking for. A source also said Johan Santana is trying to push the Mets to make a move for Abreu.

Actual Link

Edited by G&T

I hope this goes down. Dye > Abreu but I think it helps the Sox get more speed and a good young starting pitcher. Abreu + Bailey >>>Dye. In fact, I'd send some cash to the Reds if it got us another quality prospect and made the deal go through.

Yea! A rumor! I was falling into a depression after having the winter meetings off with hardly anything going on. At least give us some smoke and mirrors false rumors to debate and get excited over. I go back to work tonight, so it will be much more likely to happen tonight.

Owens / Taveras CF

Abreu LF

TCQ RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1b

Alexei SS

AJ C

Fields/Benemit platoon 3b

Getz/Lillibridge/Nix 2b

MB

Danks

Floyd

Bailey

Marquez/CR/AP

Better.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
But i thought the sky was falling and KW had his head too far up his ass to notice? How is this possible?

No, no, now is the time to dip into these standard posts...

"How long has it been since the Sox signed a real free agent?"

"If the Sox are connected to a rumor, it never happens."

"If they sign Abreu, I won't go to any games."

Why all the Abreu hate? This guy is a lifetime .300 hitter (.400 OBP/ .900 OPS) who has played in over 150 games every year for the last 11 seasons. He also averages over 20 steals a year which is something this team needs. He is one of the few players that would be a comparable swap for JD.

However, like someone has already mentioned, most rumors never happen with KW.