Sox have inside track on Abreu

Hatchetman

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Abreu, but he should not be obtained under ANY circumstances short of JD being dealt. No more "CF experiementation", ala Swisher.

If Dye is dealt then Abreu would be an AWESOME get...he'll hit for a better avg than JD (most likely), more speed, less power...age is about the same, but we'd have flipped JD into some young help.

Abreu is a terrific hitter...it seems like Kenny is trying to 'rebuild on the fly'...getting younger and faster, dealing valuable, aging or unproductive resources, yet also keeping his eye on the focus of competing for the AL Central next year.

Dye being trading and plugging a prospect into the RF hole suggests full scale rebuilding...plugging a professional hitter like Abreu into that spot suggests we're gonna go for it. I wanted to blow this team up 2 years ago, getting younger and faster...if Kenny can do it while also keeping the Sox competitive then he definately is better than I thought.

What will it take to get Abreu? 3 years, $24M-27M? I can't imagine anything much less. I'm imagining a scenario where Dye is traded and the savings goes on to the Reds. It essentially becomes a wash for the Sox salary wise.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
What will it take to get Abreu? 3 years, $24M-27M? I can't imagine anything much less. I'm imagining a scenario where Dye is traded and the savings goes on to the Reds. It essentially becomes a wash for the Sox salary wise.

2 years 18 guaranteed, option for 3rd making the total about 30.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Personally, I think Bobby Abreu would be a much more valuable bat to our offense than JD.

He would be, but mostly because he is a pretty clutch hitter.

RISP career

.316 .439 .531

2008 RISP

.296 .372 .450

Dye RISP

.259 .336 .428

2008 RISP

.269 .304 .429

These are numbers with ALOT of at bats. This is something the team has missed, especially last season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
Personally, I think Bobby Abreu would be a much more valuable bat to our offense than JD.

I don't necessarily agree with that.

Abreu offers something that the Sox need more of for sure in OBP, but Dye himself had a .344 OBP last season and a better SLG %.

It's basically a wash overall I think, although Abreu's power numbers could rise a little (but still Yankee Stadium is very favorable to LHH's).

Just don't think you can downgrade JD's importance to the lineup. When Konerko and Thome were struggling, Dye was the one protecting CQ in the order.

I don't understand this quite frankly. They are virtually going to be a wash in salary. Maybe the sox will save 2 million which is not that much. They are both old. The only additional comment I would add is Abreu is from Ozzies country. Ozzie may want him or he might be thinking back to when Abreu schooled the sox this summer. Anyway, this doesn't seem like the greates of moves to me. I agree it depends on what Dye brings us via trade, but I don't see how this fits the younger stronger, faster cheaper plan.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I don't necessarily agree with that.

Abreu offers something that the Sox need more of for sure in OBP, but Dye himself had a .344 OBP last season and a better SLG %.

It's basically a wash overall I think, although Abreu's power numbers could rise a little (but still Yankee Stadium is very favorable to LHH's).

Just don't think you can downgrade JD's importance to the lineup. When Konerko and Thome were struggling, Dye was the one protecting CQ in the order.

Check out my post above. There is a definite difference in production between the two.

Abreu would be a great asset offensively, though he has seemingly regressed the last couple of years.

If the trade and signing happen, and barring other moves, the opening day lineup will probably look like

CF Owens/Lilli

RF Abreu

LF Quentin

DH Thome

1B Konerko

C AJ

SS Ramirez

2b Getz/Lilli/Nix/Betemit

3B Fields

Not a bopping roster like we have had, but more athletic and better able to manufacture runs. Hopefully the top spot can be upgraded, but it sounds like a lot of people are attempting to do that.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't understand this quite frankly. They are virtually going to be a wash in salary. Maybe the sox will save 2 million which is not that much. They are both old. The only additional comment I would add is Abreu is from Ozzies country. Ozzie may want him or he might be thinking back to when Abreu schooled the sox this summer. Anyway, this doesn't seem like the greates of moves to me. I agree it depends on what Dye brings us via trade, but I don't see how this fits the younger stronger, faster cheaper plan.

If you get a pitcher out of it, then it's worth it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
Check out my post above. There is a definite difference in production between the two.

Well Abreu's a better hitter with RISP, I'll give him that.

Just don't want to downgrade how good of a hitter JD has been for us over the past 4 seasons.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
If you get a pitcher out of it, then it's worth it.

Like I said it depends on what Dye brings us, but really I thought we would go for a younger player. I am not convinced this will happen. i hope it does, but somthign just doesn't add up yet.

If you can get something a bit more valuable than Homer Bailey, and are SURE that Abreu will sign, then trade Dye right now and get this all over with. I have no problem with that line of moves if it happens, and I'm sure the vast majority of people here would agree. Abreu brings a lot more versatility than Dye does, and is probably the better player at this point in time.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Well Abreu's a better hitter with RISP, I'll give him that.

Just don't want to downgrade how good of a hitter JD has been for us over the past 4 seasons.

He has been, but Abreu is a better pure hitter than JD.

Dye

05-.274 .333 .512

06-.315 .385 .622

07-.254 .317 .486

08-.292 .344 .541

Abreu

05-.286 .405 .474

06-.277 .427 .434

07-.283 .369 .445

08-.296 .371 .471

Abreu gives us more avg and better OBP, with more hits with RISP . Thats the way I personally want this lineup to look like instead of low avg, low OBP and high SLG.

QUOTE (quickman @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
Like I said it depends on what Dye brings us, but really I thought we would go for a younger player. I am not convinced this will happen. i hope it does, but somthign just doesn't add up yet.

I think they are targeting a young outfielder that's still a couple years away and a pitcher for Dye. Essentially, Abreu would be a stop gap until the outfielder would be ready.

QUOTE (G&T @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
I think they are targeting a young outfielder that's still a couple years away and a pitcher for Dye. Essentially, Abreu would be a stop gap until the outfielder would be ready.

Thats a good point as well. We already know that Danks is slated for the MLB level in 2-3 years and can play CF, but most likely at one point will end up in the corner. By that time Q will have been a mainstay in RF.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
If you can get something a bit more valuable than Homer Bailey, and are SURE that Abreu will sign, then trade Dye right now and get this all over with. I have no problem with that line of moves if it happens, and I'm sure the vast majority of people here would agree. Abreu brings a lot more versatility than Dye does, and is probably the better player at this point in time.

If the price for Abreu was reasonable enough (Like a base 3/$24-$27, maybe a little more if the 3rd year is an option year) then I'd make that move even if I felt like we weren't getting totally fair value for JD, because of what it does for the team long term.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
Abreu would be a great asset offensively, though he has seemingly regressed the last couple of years.

If the trade and signing happen, and barring other moves, the opening day lineup will probably look like

CF Owens/Lilli

RF Abreu

LF Quentin

DH Thome

1B Konerko

C AJ

SS Ramirez

2b Getz/Lilli/Nix/Betemit

3B Fields

Not a bopping roster like we have had, but more athletic and better able to manufacture runs. Hopefully the top spot can be upgraded, but it sounds like a lot of people are attempting to do that.

I'm not a fan of Owens leading off. I'm fine with him in CF batting 9th but I'd prefer Getz over Owens leading off. Getz, Abreu then Quentin could give you three straight guys with OBP over .370. Owens has speed but doesn't have the OBP capabilities Getz has. I think this one reason we were in the top 5 in HRs and bottom 5 in runs scored (or something like that) because with Swisher/Cabrera leading off and Wise/Pierzynski batting second, we had terrible OBP out of our first two spots in the lineup.

I realize you don't write the lineup I'm just commenting for arguments sake.