Sox have inside track on Abreu

Hatchetman

It really has to be a 2 year deal. I don't see him being a good enough hitter 2 years from now to justify DH'ing him and even though his defense is on a steady decline and he's no longer fast you can probably tolerate Abreu making an ass of himself for 2 seasons in LF if he's still drawing walks and providing excellent situational hitting and baserunning (not speed but baserunning, dude is big and slow.)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this goes down. Dye > Abreu but I think it helps the Sox get more speed and a good young starting pitcher. Abreu + Bailey >>>Dye. In fact, I'd send some cash to the Reds if it got us another quality prospect and made the deal go through.

Yea! A rumor! I was falling into a depression after having the winter meetings off with hardly anything going on. At least give us some smoke and mirrors false rumors to debate and get excited over. I go back to work tonight, so it will be much more likely to happen tonight.

Owens / Taveras CF

Abreu LF

TCQ RF

Thome DH

Konerko 1b

Alexei SS

AJ C

Fields/Benemit platoon 3b

Getz/Lillibridge/Nix 2b

MB

Danks

Floyd

Bailey

Marquez/CR/AP

Better.

Ever time Owens' name is mentioned as a serious starter, 5 puppies DIE.

First off, why aren't we considering keeping dye and signing abreu?

LF-TCQ

CF-JD

RF-Bobby A

Just kidding.

Ok, 2 questions for those who actually can answer based on knowledge:

1)How is Abreu's arm? Compared to JD?

2) The Yankees did not offer arbitration to Abreu, correct?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Lets put it this way:

There are two holes on this team right now, Leadoff/CF and a 4th starter. One will be filled via trade, one via FA. If Dye has to be traded to get pitching, then his spot will be filled via FA as well.

So second base isn't a hole?

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
First off, why aren't we considering keeping dye and signing abreu?

LF-TCQ

CF-JD

RF-Bobby A

Just kidding.

haha i almost freaked out for a second

Ok, 2 questions for those who actually can answer based on knowledge:

1)How is Abreu's arm? Compared to JD?

He has a pretty decent arm. Above average.

2) The Yankees did not offer arbitration to Abreu, correct?

Correct

Then we better have a box of about 810 puppies. Because it will be a cold day in Hell before Brian Anderson is a regular everyday starter for ozzie.

Seriously, suggesting Owens as a starter, especially when there's still lots of time in the offseason is a crime against humanity that should be punishable by death.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
I not sure why everyone hates Owens. I'm sure he can bat better than Swisher did last year .219/.332. I'm fine with him and Anderson duking it out for CF and the 9th spot in the lineup next year. If not then we might as well trade them.

At this point in his career, I think BA can hit at least .260 and have an OBP of somewhere around .320-.330 which is fine for me with his defense and hitting 9th.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
I not sure why everyone hates Owens. I'm sure he can bat better than Swisher did last year .219/.332. I'm fine with him and Anderson duking it out for CF and the 9th spot in the lineup next year. If not then we might as well trade them.

you must enjoy mediocrity.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 07:24 PM)
you must enjoy mediocrity.

I'd love to have 8 all stars take the field and 5 all stars pitching for us but that's not realistic. If you look at our 2005 team it was full of mediocrity. Rowand hit .270 with a .339 obp, Crede hit .252, we had 1 hitter with over 90 rbis, nobody hit .300. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2005.shtml That team SUCKED on paper.

So mediocrity is fine as long as we win. And in 2005 mediocrity won it all.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)

because Jerry Owens won't have a .332 obp and .410 slugging ever...and those are career worsts for swisher which are likely to improve

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
I'd love to have 8 all stars take the field and 5 all stars pitching for us but that's not realistic. If you look at our 2005 team it was full of mediocrity. Rowand hit .270 with a .339 obp, Crede hit .252, we had 1 hitter with over 90 rbis, nobody hit .300. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2005.shtml That team SUCKED on paper.

So mediocrity is fine as long as we win. And in 2005 mediocrity won it all.

The reason we won in 2005 was outstanding starting pitching. Please review their stats and show me the mediocrity in that bunch. Let me help you out, that teams offense wasn't good. It got hot at the right time. But for most of the year was carried by the best pitching we have had.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
Jesse Rogers just vehemently shot down the Abreu rumors on the Score. Guesses Dye won’t go.

That's because there haven't been any discussions. No other hitters have signed yet and there are younger outfield FA's waiting to set the market. I can't imagine anything happening until Christmas. Unless Dunn and Burrell suddenly sign and we get a better idea of what the price will actually be.